Help! New lease! No time to do much!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

psminnesota

Help! New lease! No time to do much!

Unread postby psminnesota » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:27 am

I just recently got permission for a new lease it will be my primary hunting spot, its about 173 acres corner to corner currently with a large soybean field, All I have had time to do is set a few trail cameras to see what's on the property. I have a target buck picked out seems to come from the upper left corner on S,SE winds 3am and have one daylight of him at 6am. (obviously velvet and will change patterns) I will be saddle hunting so I can be mobile. I am surrounded by private land with hunters that lease as well. There is a 4 wheeler trail that doesn't get used down the draw on the north end of the map that runs into private land. I will say this is my first hill country hunt and have picked apart everything on forums, podcasts and books. Still need some help. I have not found any beds (that I could see) when I walked the property (rattlesnake cut that one short) I have a few does not many on trail camera, I have also placed cameras inside the woods vs on the edge. The top of the map is true north please help me not waste time out in the woods this year. I am active and will respond in a timely fashion so if you could help a fellow hunter out I would be very grateful. :violin: just need to know what to start with and where I should start and what to look for AM stand sites and PM stand sites. I don't want to wait for the rut to get this buck on the ground. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
lease.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HeadHunting

Re: Help! New lease! No time to do much!

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 am

1.) What is your pre-dominant wind direction in the area?
2.) What is your accessibility to the property, can you access from different areas?
3.) You stated that this is going to be your primary hunting location, how often do you plan on hunting?

Highly opinionated thoughts...

The buck from the top left corner makes sense with the point of the finger ridge that exists. When you can really get some boots on the ground I would check all the finger ridges. Your likely to have cross-trails across the main ridge coming from the finger ridges on the right. They will swap bedding based on changes in the wind, otherwise your likely to not find a lot of sign on the crest of the ridge.

Be really careful with cameras, in my opinion nothing causes deer especially a buck to change habits more than being spooked by a camera. There is a lot more information coming out of how deer avoid where they have recognized a camera. Especially in food plots where they have a control variable to base information on.

With the season being this close I would likely wait and scout/hunt towards those finger ridges stopping if you come across good sign and have a favorable wind to hunt.

Keep goals realistic, without solid knowledge of the area you will likely make some mistakes and get busted. Use everything you learn this year to help for next year. Of course this is assuming you will mainatin this lease.

Use morning hunts as observation sits early and scout the mid-day hunting better sign in the afternoon for the pre-rut. The rut will allow you to get away with a little more.

Good Luck man, post it here if you are successful!
Head
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Welcome to the Beast.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:51 am

psminnesota wrote:please help me not waste time out in the woods this year.
lease.png

That's not a thing.

The best part about new land is figuring it out. AM hunts are hard unless you have access from the direction they're bedding. The more you're in the woods the more it'll make sense.
oldscooldarton

Unread postby oldscooldarton » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I would just treat it like your going hunt a new pice of public. Know your access routes, pick an area to start and hunt your way in. You’ll be more likely to kill a good one on the first sit on fresh sign.
psminnesota

Unread postby psminnesota » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:41 am

HeadHunting wrote:1.) What is your pre-dominant wind direction in the area?
2.) What is your accessibility to the property, can you access from different areas?
3.) You stated that this is going to be your primary hunting location, how often do you plan on hunting?

Highly opinionated thoughts...

The buck from the top left corner makes sense with the point of the finger ridge that exists. When you can really get some boots on the ground I would check all the finger ridges. Your likely to have cross-trails across the main ridge coming from the finger ridges on the right. They will swap bedding based on changes in the wind, otherwise your likely to not find a lot of sign on the crest of the ridge.

Be really careful with cameras, in my opinion nothing causes deer especially a buck to change habits more than being spooked by a camera. There is a lot more information coming out of how deer avoid where they have recognized a camera. Especially in food plots where they have a control variable to base information on.

With the season being this close I would likely wait and scout/hunt towards those finger ridges stopping if you come across good sign and have a favorable wind to hunt.

Keep goals realistic, without solid knowledge of the area you will likely make some mistakes and get busted. Use everything you learn this year to help for next year. Of course this is assuming you will mainatin this lease.

Use morning hunts as observation sits early and scout the mid-day hunting better sign in the afternoon for the pre-rut. The rut will allow you to get away with a little more.

Good Luck man, post it here if you are successful!

Appreciate it.
My prevailing winds currently are from the S,SE will shift to N, NE late September early October.
I can only access from the south of the property permission to cross from private was a no go.
I plan on hunting cold fronts at first mostly with evening sits unless something else dictates it. As for the cameras they’re cell cameras and won’t be able to take them down until hunting (want little impact) cameras are placed in spots just for inventory will hunt away from these spots.
I was able to scout the North left corner on the ridge found some great sign, fresh tracks and a bed the trail heads to the east around the crest and heads south on the east side and splits off and heads north up by the north east corner. That’s as far as I went ran into 3 rattlers by then decided to back out havent put boots on ground there for 3 weeks now and see my target buck about every 4-7 days
psminnesota

Unread postby psminnesota » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:43 am

oldscooldarton wrote:I would just treat it like your going hunt a new pice of public. Know your access routes, pick an area to start and hunt your way in. You’ll be more likely to kill a good one on the first sit on fresh sign.

Thank you that’s the plan
psminnesota

Unread postby psminnesota » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 am

SneakyHunter wrote:
psminnesota wrote:please help me not waste time out in the woods this year.
lease.png

That's not a thing.

The best part about new land is figuring it out. AM hunts are hard unless you have access from the direction they're bedding. The more you're in the woods the more it'll make sense.

yes I agree
psminnesota

Unread postby psminnesota » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:31 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Welcome to the Beast.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”