Virtual scouting mission

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MsDeltakilla

Virtual scouting mission

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:51 am

I’ve been on the particular property, but have never hunted it “beast style”. I have located a pretty good point. And the predominant wind is north/northeast. It doesn’t always hold water, but it does rain in Mississippi a lot. In north woods y’all don’t have cottonmouths to worry with either :D :lol:

What is a good strategy to hunt this? To the west is cut beans to the right is/will be cut beans. It’s wrp planted with sawtooth oaks. Tree line to the west is all oaks and treelike to north is all oaks as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MsDeltakilla

Re: Virtual scouting mission

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:53 am

This is a newer picture. Shows the sawtooth oaks better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 pm

MsDeltaKilla, have you scouted the area boots on the ground yet? The reason I ask is because I recently had a similar situation that I had virtual scouted first. When following that up with scouting the area I found that it wasn't quite what I had expected it to be, looking at it from the ground versus the aerial view.

On the ground the area had no cover that a buck would want to bed in. I did note and waypoint a potential feed tree in a large red oak at the end of the point but it was basically open woods. I did however find some other promising sign in a well worn deer trail. I followed this about 30 yards to a pocket in the terrain of a 4-5 year cutover. This trail had a convergence of trails that split off to a few trails about 10 yards from this pocket that all lead from it. I was able to find a tree that will allow me to cover the convergence point of these trails.

The main point being that a boots on the ground scouting of the area will pay far more dividends than just the aerial map view.

Good Luck!
Head
MsDeltakilla

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:39 am

HeadHunting wrote:MsDeltaKilla, have you scouted the area boots on the ground yet? The reason I ask is because I recently had a similar situation that I had virtual scouted first. When following that up with scouting the area I found that it wasn't quite what I had expected it to be, looking at it from the ground versus the aerial view.

On the ground the area had no cover that a buck would want to bed in. I did note and waypoint a potential feed tree in a large red oak at the end of the point but it was basically open woods. I did however find some other promising sign in a well worn deer trail. I followed this about 30 yards to a pocket in the terrain of a 4-5 year cutover. This trail had a convergence of trails that split off to a few trails about 10 yards from this pocket that all lead from it. I was able to find a tree that will allow me to cover the convergence point of these trails.

The main point being that a boots on the ground scouting of the area will pay far more dividends than just the aerial map view.

Good Luck!

I haven’t this year, but it is thick as it could be. I’ve always hunted the edges and over acorn trees, always good sign around it. This will be my first time to ever get in the bedding and try to get that buck. Usually littered with scrapes and rubs. I’ll scout coming this month. It seems close, but once they cut beans those deer tend to migrate to different areas, food sources change, etc. thank you for your input! I will def. put boots on the ground.
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:36 am

If you’re for sure he’s bedding on that point and if he’s making his way to the field to the west, id try and find a trail on the south end of that little pond that will funnel him around it. If that’s crp all around like I’m thinking it is, he could literally bed anywhere in that block of woods. Oh the joys of hunting Mississippi.

Boots on the ground is gonna be your best bet. I hunt Mississippi as well and it’s hard to see distinct terrain features in crp just from aerials.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
MsDeltakilla

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:24 am

KRoss480 wrote:If you’re for sure he’s bedding on that point and if he’s making his way to the field to the west, id try and find a trail on the south end of that little pond that will funnel him around it. If that’s crp all around like I’m thinking it is, he could literally bed anywhere in that block of woods. Oh the joys of hunting Mississippi.

Boots on the ground is gonna be your best bet. I hunt Mississippi as well and it’s hard to see distinct terrain features in crp just from aerials.

I’m not sure if he’s bedding there, but during times of higher water, the water makes a horseshoe if you will, and I am very confident a good buck will use that point. It’s a great spot. Water is just under knee high, and the pond is deeper. It’s a great spot, tough to access but when I hunted it I saw lots of action, just no mature bucks. I was also 200 yards away from that spot too. The northeast corner is older trees and I used to get 30’ in a big oak and could see across that thing. It was years ago but it’s getting thicker And taller every year. Probably a November December spot, whenever water gets in there. Other wise like you said he could bed in multiple spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”