ONYX Issues

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

ONYX Issues

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:04 am

Is it just my computers or have the ONYX maps been almost impossible to read lately?

Dewey

Re: ONYX Issues

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:41 am

In what way?

I had problem using Safari on my MacBook. The web page wouldn’t load. I contacted them and they suggested using Google Chrome. Tried that and worked fine again. Never had problems with Safari before. Works just fine on my Mac desktop and iPhone.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Dewey wrote:In what way?

I had problem using Safari on my MacBook. The web page wouldn’t load. I contacted them and they suggested using Google Chrome. Tried that and worked fine again. Never had problems with Safari before. Works just fine on my Mac desktop and iPhone.

The imaging has been awful. Usually when i zoomed in i could see in great detail now seems real skewed as i zoom in
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:04 pm

brkissl82 wrote:
Dewey wrote:In what way?

The imaging has been awful. Usually when i zoomed in i could see in great detail now seems real skewed as i zoom in

I haven’t noticed that. Sometimes it takes awhile to load when you get up there with the number of waypoints but it does clear up.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Hmm my onyx is working fine but my darn google earth removed timelapse aerial photos.

It is near impossible for me to tell what's pines and hardwoods now. It's all green trees.

They used to have the go back in time bar.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
MrChris

Unread postby MrChris » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hmm my onyx is working fine but my darn google earth removed timelapse aerial photos.

It is near impossible for me to tell what's pines and hardwoods now. It's all green trees.

They still have archived aerials. It is a clock icon in your toolbar. I just used it a couple days ago.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 pm

MrChris wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Hmm my onyx is working fine but my darn google earth removed timelapse aerial photos.

They still have archived aerials. It is a clock icon in your toolbar. I just used it a couple days ago.

Thanks I'll check it out.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Yeah, I’ve noticed the issues as well. To put salt in the wound, I’ve been hearing and have seen super aerials from some of their competitors.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:08 am

RatMe wrote:Yeah, I’ve noticed the issues as well. To put salt in the wound, I’ve been hearing and have seen super aerials from some of their competitors.

I don’t want to see those aerials from competitors because then I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to re trace all my marks and put em into their platform. That’s the only reason onX has me locked in. I can’t imagine loosing all that info.

I’m off cell service a lot and on offline maps. On x has my location pinging all over the place and my phone dies fast. It’s pretty annoying.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:17 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
RatMe wrote:Yeah, I’ve noticed the issues as well. To put salt in the wound, I’ve been hearing and have seen super aerials from some of their competitors.

I don’t want to see those aerials from competitors because then I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to re trace all my marks and put em into their platform. That’s the only reason onX has me locked in. I can’t imagine loosing all that info.

I’m off cell service a lot and on offline maps. On x has my location pinging all over the place and my phone dies fast. It’s pretty annoying.

OnX and the other apps have ways that you can export/import your data. Look for it on their support site. So you actually can take your data with you to other apps or formats
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:00 am

greenhorndave wrote:

OnX and the other apps have ways that you can export/import your data. Look for it on their support site. So you actually can take your data with you to other apps or formats

Nice! Thanks Dave
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:49 am

greenhorndave wrote:

Nice! Thanks Dave

You got it, Anything for a fellow Horton Heat fan. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:25 am

greenhorndave wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Nice! Thanks Dave

On the subject, what's the opinion lately on onX's competitors? I've been locked into onX for the last 2 years and they've provided enough updated to keep me satisfied. I primarily use the app as opposed to desktop. I'm curious to hear what the competition has come up with to keep up.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:55 am

I believe it’s GoHunt has come out with its own mapping platform
Thorn that has 3D maps.

You can transfer your data to other platforms but all icons will be changed to generic icons, so you’ll have to spend some time relabeling icons.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:04 am

MrT wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Nice! Thanks Dave

On the subject, what's the opinion lately on onX's competitors? I've been locked into onX for the last 2 years and they've provided enough updated to keep me satisfied. I primarily use the app as opposed to desktop. I'm curious to hear what the competition has come up with to keep up.

Give Basemap a try. I like both and have both currently. Basemap is I believe 30 dollars for the entire nation and OnX is 30 for 1 state or 100 for the nation. I have found a few places where Onx has the wrong ownership and Basemap has correct.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”