Best overlooked spot you have found

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Csradeerhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/cody.blackmon.5?ref=bookmarks

Best overlooked spot you have found

Unread postby Csradeerhunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:59 am

I think the overlooked spots can be the best spots . i would like to hear some of those kind of spots that have paid off for yall . the kind of spots some one would think your crazy for hunting .

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Re: Best overlooked spot you have found

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:04 am

I didnt get the big buck from the spot, my uncle did. We had setup a spot that was maybe 50 yards one side and 70 yards the other from a road intersection. The terrain didnt seem like a typical deer highway but they ended up loving to cut that intersection across. We set up a stand on it not really knowing so since we had a foodplot nearby. My uncle got that buck and we started to put a camera about 20 yards off the road and caught buck after buck on it cross through that area despite it not seeming all that convenient to deer.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:43 am

I started using the tracker feature on OnX a couple years ago. Even on the 3 primary pieces of public I hunt alot. Seemed overkill, but at the end of the past 2 seasons Ive had a really clear idea of where I hadnt been and where I needed to scout. Hung camera in a few of those areas and left them alone for the year. Have 2 overlooked spots to hunt this year with a good idea of the time of year they're hot. One spots has no scrapes or rubs but had a good track. The other spot had a couple of tiny rubs. Looks like this one is really good in late season, but holds 1-2 year olds most of the year.

1 is 40 yards off a main road. The late season one overlooks 1 of my main access points.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:35 am

This is a little spot I found a few years back. A lot of people aren’t watching the boundaries on a map versus watching the road. When you make the turn onto the road it’s directly against a tall fence. You can see the fence from the road throughout most of this. Everyone that is looking for deer is focused on the side of the road that has the agriculture planted in it. The bend in the road allows for about 200-300 yards from the road to a tall fence that I highlighted in yellow. It is also fairly thick with cover and browse and sets up nicely on a little hill. It’s a bogus looking spot and I don’t think anyone has hunted it in a very long time.

I walked in and setup and watched cars till almost dark calling myself a fool for trying to hunt this spot when a big bodied buck stood up and walked over. I had my scent blowing into the out of bounds area and he walked straight over to me when I shot him. He dashed right back over to his bed and collapsed. He would have been a solid 10 point but he still has a unique bladed eye guard and was broken up on side.

Anyway what he did was bed there then cross the road at dark and go about feeding and chasing does. It’s been my best overlooked spot so far.

Imagebest food for fighter fish

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:25 am

I wouldn't be a believer in overlooked spots unless I found some great deer! Its amazing how they can live close to man as long as we dont know they are there. Unfortunately I havent been able to run an arrow through one yet. Alot of that has to do with lack of quality hunts. Great spots tho

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:01 am

I have a spot that’s 25yds from a road and 150 yds to a house. That’s the legal distance you have to be from a home. Measured it with a range finder. I killed a couple bucks there and found a 142” deadhead last winter there. It’s a road crossing and a pothole swamp they bed in. I have gotten numerous trail cam pics of shooter bucks there also. It’s a private land
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm

While not a big buck spot my best ever over looked spot I have ever found is a 5 acre strip of public land surrounded by private on 3 sides and the road on one side. Its wide open, you can see straight across it from the road.but it's very step deep creek terrain, so the deer can be down in the bottom of the creek and not be seen from the road. But they can see the road and listen for traffic coming and shoot across when it's clear.

I park down the road and walk in with my ar pistol and sit in the northeast corner and can blast any deer crossing it.

Have killed 2 deer off it each year. Mostly does. The private land owners hate me but I just lol and load up my meat deer and roll out.

Funny part is guys know I hunt it but they won't mess with it. The key to hunting it is in the rain.
Csradeerhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/cody.blackmon.5?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Csradeerhunter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:24 pm

This season I have some spots close to roads that use to be old home places where there are big old trees with undergrowth that meets pines . most people are going to the most obvious spots .
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm

I can’t really say I’ve found any really great ones but the ones I find consistently that have a lot of deer Sign big tracks and buck sign seem to be w/in sight of the parking area.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I have a 5 acre area by a highway that is just a hole.
Has a big buck bedding it the last few years.

I've seen him from a tree but he was out of bow range.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:24 am

Wow, it’s funny Reading through these several times I’m going that sounds a lot like such and such spot.

I had scouted a spot once, went back to hunt and was surprised at the amount of trucks in the parking lot. It was a few hundred acres. Parking lot was along the river and the other side of the river was small 15 acres or so public. The river forked and flowed on each side of that 15 acres. A few hundred yds up you hit the highway and 3 houses had frontage along that so nowhere to walk down in. I knew if nobody in those homes hunted that could be good so I canoed across one morning and shimmied up and ash tree. Seen a good buck in there but was about 5 yds off the mark. I moved away never hunted it again.

I had another rifht next to a short canal. It was used by boaters sparingly. One fall I moved in there for a kill and some guys pulled into the canal and were loud as heck. Bout 100 yds away. I almost got down because I thought my hunt was ruined. They left and right before dark I arrowed a nice nine pt. 1 of 3 nice bucks I shot there. I’d go back and hunt that but the lakes are up so high all the bedding is under several ft of water.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”