What type of bow sights y’all use?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: What type of bow sights y’all use?

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 am

For guys just starting with the ezv. Have patients. It seems like some adjust without problems and other don’t. I really like the sight but it took a little while for me to figure out the right disk. I had a new bow so the sight thing didn’t line up and the chrono at the shop didn’t work so I was guessing.
But when that deer came in last year it was all instinctual. Draw, anchor, line up the v, follow through. It was perfect. If you’re on the fence, I’d at least get one to try. You’ll be able to sell it on here without problems. My .02.

deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Huntress13 wrote:
deer365 wrote:Currently using a 3 pin trophy ridge but I'm considering going back to a pendulum I have. I've shot both, I'm going to shoot a heavier arrow this year and I'm curious how bad that will affect arrow drop. Can anyone give me any info on this?

I don't know. But aren't pendulums old school when everybody was shooting heavy aluminum arrows? You may have to limit to closer shots.

I guess it just depends on your definition of close. I've never seen much of a difference in flight inside of 35-40 yds.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:06 am

Montana Black Gold 5 pin sight. .029 pins for 20 and 30 and .019 for the rest. They will customize pin size as well as color for you. Nice sight for sure.

Bio1
EJAJTNER

Unread postby EJAJTNER » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:22 am

I'm using a 3 pin HHA slider with .10 pins. I set it for 20,30,40 and then slide after that out to 100. I know it's a little different out here, we do mainly spot and stalk hunting. Get high in the morning and let your glass do your walking, then try to sneak in on one that's bedded. I usually try to get to 40-50 yards, but if the cover runs out I'm good with 60.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 am

I’ve been shooting an HHA single pin slider for about 18 years and will probably never switch
How bad do you want it?
redz

Unread postby redz » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:08 am

Copper John Dead Nuts 2, pins set to 20, 30, & 40.
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:29 pm

What ever red dot came with the Parker xbow, nada on my long bow
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:58 am

matt1336 wrote:For guys just starting with the ezv. Have patients. It seems like some adjust without problems and other don’t. I really like the sight but it took a little while for me to figure out the right disk. I had a new bow so the sight thing didn’t line up and the chrono at the shop didn’t work so I was guessing.
But when that deer came in last year it was all instinctual. Draw, anchor, line up the v, follow through. It was perfect. If you’re on the fence, I’d at least get one to try. You’ll be able to sell it on here without problems. My .02.

I got one of these a little bit ago, but just got it dialed in. It was a pain to set up... The adjustments are super coarse and sometimes I would shove it too far and then too far back the other way, etc. I got the disks ok based on a speed calculator from Dynamic Archery. It will get you really close. https://dynamicarcherysolutions.com/pag ... calculator

But once it was good, wow. It took me a little while to visualize the basketball-sized vital area and I shot poorly on a few occasions when I got cocky and rushed the shot.

But now I can walk pretty much any unknown distance on any angle and drop it in. No rangefinder needed, which is what I was looking for. No need to think about splitting pins, just frame up the basketball and bam.

It's also really nice to have an unobstructed view of the target. No pin(s) getting in the way.

Very pleasantly surprised.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
matt1336 wrote:For guys just starting with the ezv. Have patients. It seems like some adjust without problems and other don’t. I really like the sight but it took a little while for me to figure out the right disk. I had a new bow so the sight thing didn’t line up and the chrono at the shop didn’t work so I was guessing.

I got one of these a little bit ago, but just got it dialed in. It was a pain to set up... The adjustments are super coarse and sometimes I would shove it too far and then too far back the other way, etc. I got the disks ok based on a speed calculator from Dynamic Archery. It will get you really close. https://dynamicarcherysolutions.com/pag ... calculator

But once it was good, wow. It took me a little while to visualize the basketball-sized vital area and I shot poorly on a few occasions when I got cocky and rushed the shot.

But now I can walk pretty much any unknown distance on any angle and drop it in. No rangefinder needed, which is what I was looking for. No need to think about splitting pins, just frame up the basketball and bam.

It's also really nice to have an unobstructed view of the target. No pin(s) getting in the way.

I glad you like it. I’m actually having a hard time with mine after making the switch to heavier arrows. I think I’m missing the disk that I need. I think I need a 13 but don’t have one. So I’m bouncing from the 11 to the 14.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Spot Hogg hunter 4 pins 20-50
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 am

A cluttered sight window has always bothered me. I think my current 3 pin sight is a discontinued Vital bow gear.
The pins are hiding behind each other and rise from the 4 o clock position.
One trick for multiple pins is centering the most common pin in the sight picture. Mine is on 30 yards and if my brain goes auto pilot it will likely shoot the center pin.

The EZV could be a game changer. A bit late for this season I think.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:23 am

matt1336 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

I glad you like it. I’m actually having a hard time with mine after making the switch to heavier arrows. I think I’m missing the disk that I need. I think I need a 13 but don’t have one. So I’m bouncing from the 11 to the 14.

I have an "old style" #13 if you want it. My bow shoots 200, so I doubt I will ever need it.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:33 am

Huntress13 wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

I have an "old style" #13 if you want it. My bow shoots 200, so I doubt I will ever need it.

I ordered one of their new disks for $11 tmd. Greenhorndave offered as well. Apparently they have a new system that has you sight in at 20 and your good. Way easier that the old system. The v is also thinner on these new ones...increased sight picture and low light shootability. So it’ll be fun to try it out. Thanks everyone!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:37 am

Spot Hogg "Hogg it" 5-pin. I personally don't like sliders for hunting. I already don't want to move while bowhunting, and having to potentially adjust my sight before a shot is just more movement I don't want to be bothered with.
wesfromwi

Unread postby wesfromwi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:47 am

HHA single pin here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”