All day hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RookieBeast2019

All day hunts

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 am

For those who do all day hunts. What’s your process?

Do you sit in the same spot all day? Move? If so when.

Are you in a stand? On the ground?

Do you return back to the car?

Etc.

Thanks

RB2019

matt1336
500 Club

Re: All day hunts

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 am

Depends on the spot. In November I’ll sit in a funnel that I have a lot of confidence in dark to dark.
The other time I’ll sit all day is a place where other hunters push deer to me when they move. This is more of a gun strategy.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Depends on the spot.

During rut I hop around and try to find the action scouting as I go.
My kill last year I heard nothing in bedding area one. It was a day with very dry leaves so I could hear the bedding.

Climbed down went to bedding area 2 and killed within 30 minutes.

Sometimes I go grab lunch.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:35 am

RookieBeast2019 wrote:For those who do all day hunts. What’s your process?

I only do all day sits in November

Do you sit in the same spot all day? Move? If so when.

Same spots from dark til 3ish, typically between 2 doe bedding areas, or downwind of 1 that I know does are actively using. After 3 I usually shift towards a food source.

Are you in a stand? On the ground? Situational

Do you return back to the car? No

Etc.

Thanks

RB2019
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:17 am

Like the others have said, it all depends. I used to stay parked dark to dark in the same tree "during the rut" and on the first day of rifle for pressured movement.

Now, it varies.

If you have complete confidence in a spot panning out, stay. If not, move.

I might move 15-20-50yds to get the "hot trail" in range. I might get down and walk till I find what I'm looking for. I might go back to the truck and relocate. I might stop at the truck and refresh and hike off a different direction.

No absolutes.

I will say the couple rut cruisers I have gotten shots at have been on extremely slow days and I sucked it up and stayed put. A giant last year on the last day came through late morning/early afternoon after only seeing 1 yearling wandering around alone. But I found that spot by scouting with my stand on my back days prior and it was hot.

One Halloween I hunted a spot. Got there before daylight. Checked my camera that was there for a month and a half. Decided I absolutely wasn't leaving. I didn't see a deer until early evening.

A lot of factors to consider and weigh.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am

I sit all day when the deer are likely to move all day.... Rut, weather fronts, when folks are on the move and bumping deer.

Most of the time the deer movement stops at 11 am. And if I see deer at say 2 pm, rarely see them at dark.

Some days just cry out for an all day sit. Mostly it is am til 11 and pm after 3.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 am

i usually try to hunt spots I don’t have to move but will switch farms occasionally
kher

Unread postby kher » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:10 am

If I am doing an all day hunt, ill set on the best location in the morning and if I don't see anything until afternoon ill look for fresh sign, go back to the car and game plan for the evening hunt. More than likely my evening spots will defer if my morning spot didn't pan out.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 am

My all day hunts these days are much different than they were 15 years ago. When it comes to a predetermined all day sit location I give the spot a chance to work regardless. That’s regardless of many things including wind changing, no deer sightings, hunter walking through etc.... I go in knowing all the chips are in the center of table. In these spots there is also some type of hard restriction. So seeing a buck sniffing the ground on the track of a hot doe 100 yards away doesn’t happen hardly ever so I stay put. I chose the spot based on hunting a “spot” not current action.

Other times when I’m run an gun my decisions are based off what I see the first few hours. No sure fire, no miss way in the whitetail woods. We simply play odds like a gambler. When the odds swing in my favor I push all in. When not, I call.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Depends, I don't go back to the car unless I'm going to a different parcel otherwise I pack a lunch and stay all day.

During the rut in hill country I usually have my "morning spot" planned based on the wind for that morning and thermals - will stay there generally to at least noon or maybe later depending on my afternoon plans.

Some days I may sit till noon eat my lunch then scout and poke my way around to an afternoon spot looking for good fresh sign.

Other days I may sit my morning spot till mid afternoon then make my move to an "afternoon spot" that will take advantage of evening movement and falling thermals.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:05 pm

I think it depends on how well you know the area where you are hunting and the time of year, i.e. pre-rut, rut or post-rut. I have found that during the rut, deer tend to move around more so finding a good travel corridor near bedding and sitting longer sits has proved successful. Knowing the area really well is a considerable factor in any success. If the area is new to you, scouting and stalking to find more prominent sign may be more beneficial to you. Even if you bust out, gaining the knowledge of the area is going to be a greater benefit than sitting around and not seeing anything. Always strive to gain more knowledge wether it be about an area or a specific deer and you will see your success rate go up.
Head
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:19 am

Most of the time on an all day hunt I will sit on the same stand if nothing changes. Some times I will come off the stand to go to my truck to eat lunch or if it is really frigid, warm up. Pay attention to the weather the night before, the best day I had last year, I noticed the wind was supposed to shift around 11am. It had been blowing north/ne for several days, so I sit in a stand low on the mountain that morning. When I felt the wind start to shift, I hightailed it to the top of the mountain. At 3pm I killed a very nice 8pt that was crossing the top of the mountain, which to me says he was moving to get back into the right wind. It can be tough and you have to have a ton of patience. I have sit for days and seen nothing, then boom deer everywhere. I am also not a firm believer in the big bucks move mid day either from my experience. The latest in the morning I have killed one was probably 8:30-9am and the earliest in the evening I have killed on is 3pm. If nothing else, sitting in the stand all day should minimize the disturbance of walking in and out.

This one I sit the day before and saw no deer. Sit same stand the next day and saw no deer til about 4:45 until this one walked by. National Forest in Virginia.

This is the one I killed when the wind changed at 3pm. This was on my hunting lease in Virginia.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”