THP spilled the beans on the public land challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: THP spilled the beans on the public land challenge

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:17 am

westwind wrote:Pennsylvania's gonna be a toughie. The beast guys have focused on water both of the last two years. Is marsh/wetland hunting viable in PA? Forgive me if this is a rookie question, I've never been out east.

I'm willing to bet dan and some others can figure out the Hills. If not maybe some of them could hurry up and Study Hill Country Bedding. Can't remember off hand where to get it, but a quick google search would probably find it ;) .

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:46 am

Being from PA...I cant wait for this one!
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:49 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
westwind wrote:Pennsylvania's gonna be a toughie. The beast guys have focused on water both of the last two years. Is marsh/wetland hunting viable in PA? Forgive me if this is a rookie question, I've never been out east.

I'm willing to bet dan and some others can figure out the Hills. If not maybe some of them could hurry up and Study Hill Country Bedding. Can't remember off hand where to get it, but a quick google search would probably find it ;) .

IF they are looking for some Marsh/ swamp areas that are public the best bet would be to look in the Northwestern Part of the state near in Crawford County.
westwind

Unread postby westwind » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 am

Uncle Lou wrote:

I know Dan has experience in more than just marshes. But I think it's notable that in 2018 (Minnesota) Dan and Joe drove ~3 hours each way to hunt those oak islands in that big marsh. They passed by a lot of good hill country during that drive. Seems like when Dan is put in an unfamiliar situation, he usually thinks "water". Just didn't know if that would still be an option in PA.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 am

Can't wait to see where in PA they hunt. LIke mentioned there is some pretty good diversity in PA when it comes to habitat. Depending upon the area that they are hunting there may not be some marsh/swamp type habitat. For me I would like to see them hunt the big woods hill country for a different look than the last 2 years. One thing is PA has alot of public land available in the state, so they will have alot of ground to choose from.
Jtcamo
Facebook: Jtcamo

Unread postby Jtcamo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Some mountain buck action would be interesting. When I think P I think Allegheny and that’s beautiful country. Being from Ohio, WV, PA border area I’m used to it and look forward to this years challenge!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:32 am

The way the challenge seems to work is THP picks a secret camp location in the state, and hunters can hunt anywhere in the state as long as its"

#1 public land
#2 they make it back to camp each night after hunting
#3 they follow state game laws

I have not even began to look at or research areas yet, going to be a tough challenge.
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:51 am

I wouldn't dare tell them where to go our what to do. I can't even wait to sit down and learn from this one. I will say in my very little experience from my little section of the state clear cuts all have mature animals using them. That and in case they didn't know you can spotlight here, something I don't do, but I believe your good to do it up untill 11pm just don't have any weapons in the vehicle. Man I'm more excited for this than my own early season plans
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:52 am

Man I can’t wait to see how this plays out. Being from pa and only hunting the mountains I know first hand how challenging it can be to even see deer sometimes. I’m sure there’s going to be a ton to learn from it. I’d love to run into all the guys but i think I rather not be any where close, lol. Hopefully it doesn’t draw huge crowds to all the public. There’s definitely opportunity to get away from pressure and get on some really good bucks. Good luck to all involved and I’ll be anxiously waiting for some awesome content!
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:36 am

Djp32 wrote:Man I can’t wait to see how this plays out. Being from pa and only hunting the mountains I know first hand how challenging it can be to even see deer sometimes. I’m sure there’s going to be a ton to learn from it. I’d love to run into all the guys but i think I rather not be any where close, lol. Hopefully it doesn’t draw huge crowds to all the public. There’s definitely opportunity to get away from pressure and get on some really good bucks. Good luck to all involved and I’ll be anxiously waiting for some awesome content!

This is what I'm afraid of if they come to my area lol. But in all honesty I think they will find out that the pressure in pa is blown out of proportion, especially if there hunting through the weekdays. Don't get my wrong, theres pressure here, but I dont think its as bad as people say it is.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:40 am

Bentstraight wrote:
Djp32 wrote:Man I can’t wait to see how this plays out. Being from pa and only hunting the mountains I know first hand how challenging it can be to even see deer sometimes. I’m sure there’s going to be a ton to learn from it. I’d love to run into all the guys but i think I rather not be any where close, lol. Hopefully it doesn’t draw huge crowds to all the public. There’s definitely opportunity to get away from pressure and get on some really good bucks. Good luck to all involved and I’ll be anxiously waiting for some awesome content!

This is what I'm afraid of if they come to my area lol. But in all honesty I think they will find out that the pressure in pa is blown out of proportion, especially if there hunting through the weekdays. Don't get my wrong, theres pressure here, but I dont think its as bad as people say it is.

I believe the last couple of challenges have been right at the beginning of seasons in those states. Like you said on weekdays in the early part of the year the pressure won't be too bad. Most hunting pressure in PA is like most states. Rut and gun season.
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:42 am

cspot wrote:
Bentstraight wrote:

I believe the last couple of challenges have been right at the beginning of seasons in those states. Like you said on weekdays in the early part of the year the pressure won't be too bad. Most hunting pressure in PA is like most states. Rut and gun season.

I would agree with that. Maybe using the term "blown out of propotion" wasn't the best choice but its certainly directed more towards certain parts of the season and maybe certain areas of the state as well.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 am

Gun season is definitely how I think most folks measure pressure
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:23 am

dan wrote:The way the challenge seems to work is THP picks a secret camp location in the state, and hunters can hunt anywhere in the state as long as its"

#1 public land
#2 they make it back to camp each night after hunting
#3 they follow state game laws

I have not even began to look at or research areas yet, going to be a tough challenge.

Tough challenge for them. :lol:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Michigan and Pennsylvania you guys are going for it. I’m super excited to watch.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”