How do you "audit you circle"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RatMe

How do you "audit you circle"?

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 am

Some time ago I listened to an interview with a retired navy seal. In describing what it takes to survive various stressful situations, he references a person’s ability to “audit their circle”. The concept was to remove or disallow people or information in, that does not push the needle in the right direction. Simple enough. He argued by auditing your circle you become more efficient and focused on the primary goal. He is a navy seal and I’m a bum, so I think I’ll take his word for it.

As it relates to deer hunting, I’ve found myself taking in an immense amount of content over the last few months (articles, video, tons of podcasts). At times, information that I know does not apply to me and is unrealistic. Interviews that start off with so and so shoot four 200 inch bucks, and video of 180 class double drop tine bucks in rich alfalfa fields, and people telling you what you need to be doing to kill big deer in between selling high end gear that would cost a small fortune and rooms full of deer shot on manicured farms. I listened to a person talk for 45 minutes about a sequence of sprays and lotions you need to rub on your body to eliminate deer scent.

I stopped and thought today, what am I doing here? If I’m not careful I could be on the verge of going backwards.

These hunting situations apply to someone, but not me. I had a good reality check today about what my goals are and what I should be focusing on. There is never a bad time to “audit your circle” and refine your focus so that you can “hunt your hunt”.

What do folks do this time of year to keep out the noise?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: How do you "audit you circle"?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:35 am

I believe I understand what the frog hog was trying to say. It’s about staying positive, believing in your ability, and staying the course. You start chipping away at things and as humans we lose focus. All of a sudden doubt enters the equation. Is there a better way? Are we good enough? I hope I don’t end up with my head on a fence post. That does nothing but breed negativity and drags u down as well as others around you.

Find positive people, believe in what u r doing, feel u r the best by the effort u put in. Block out haters , whiners and excuse makers. Focus on your goal(the buck), rely on your training (hours scouting), and accomplish the mission (BBD!)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 am

Good post. I've seen a fair bit on here even over the years of guys who become internet experts, but never bring that knowledge out to experience it themselves. To me if I start to feel a little too smart for myself or that I have it figured out, I force myself to go scouting somewhere I know to be tough. Has a way of bringing perspective back.

Once in a while I find things I missed before based upon growing knowledge base, bit more often than not its a good reminder that all the reading and conversation in the world is no match for time in the field. Learn to think critically and keep an open mind, then hit the field. That's the best auditing a guy can do, imo.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:44 am

I recognize the bullcrap on tv for what it is, then come here and see how real people do it.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 am

Ignore a whole lot of phone calls for a long, long time.

Eminem said it best, "I'm cleaning out my closet".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 am

Pay no attention to any of it! For me, I been on this site for about 8 years and these discussion boards have opened my eyes and made me realize I was once on that path of relying on snake oil and pixie dust that gets annoyingly jammed down our throats in advertisements and sponsorships. I felt inadequate at the for a long time because I couldn’t afford all the newest and coolest gear and scent elimination crap, and I didn’t have food plots to hunt over.
Not anymore! Heck, I haven’t bought a single hunting magazine in almost ten years. I don’t watch the hunting TV shows either. I figured alot of things out on my own over the years. Dan and the Beast hunters here have introduced me to tactics that don’t require silly pixie dust. My hunting success has improved greatly. Some pick it up right away and for some it takes a few seasons. Anyways, the only other hunting related media page I follow is the Hunting Public on youtube.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:23 am

If you think back about all the stuff that got "sold" to you, how much of it worked?

How many outdoor writer's articles and suggestions actually had enough information to actually try and when you did try, did it make a diff? Mostly no. if it was/did then we'd not be here.

Dan's stuff and the guys around here have been diff, they actually share stuff that helps. Some isn't applicable to where we are at but it makes a big diff.

In the past 4 years I've shot 3 new "bests" and found a place in FL where I actually saw deer while on stand and killed one. Very much different. Plus, I'm not a hunting first kind of guy - I spent decades hunting hard with nothing to show for it so it is no longer some undying passion. A nice way to spend a vacation but that's as far as it goes.

Clean your mind, pay attention to what's going on around on here - look at the old stuff with suspicion.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 am

The only thing I use to kill 200 inch deer is the moon guide. Works every time.

Full discretion don't think I ever seen a 200 inch deer but then again I don't have a moon guide. Maybe my thinking is flawed.

ISO moon guide.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am

I understand the point, but I would also caution, don't take it to the extreme and end up with a circle filled with bunch of "yes" men. I want people to shoot me straight, even if they think it will hurt my feelings. Am I doing something that's hurting my chances hunting...or worse, in life? A real friend will tell you. It's up to me/you to accept what they have to say and take a look in the mirror and figure out what to do better. Don't kill the messenger.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:27 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I understand the point, but I would also caution, don't take it to the extreme and end up with a circle filled with bunch of "yes" men. I want people to shoot me straight, even if they think it will hurt my feelings. Am I doing something that's hurting my chances hunting...or worse, in life? A real friend will tell you. It's up to me/you to accept what they have to say and take a look in the mirror and figure out what to do better. Don't kill the messenger.

You are doing something that hurts your chances! We still friends? :lol:
-John Wayne-
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 am

The longer you are around in life the more you learn to trust your own judgement. Take in a all the information you can and learn from your own experiences, they will be your best teacher!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:I understand the point, but I would also caution, don't take it to the extreme and end up with a circle filled with bunch of "yes" men. I want people to shoot me straight, even if they think it will hurt my feelings. Am I doing something that's hurting my chances hunting...or worse, in life? A real friend will tell you. It's up to me/you to accept what they have to say and take a look in the mirror and figure out what to do better. Don't kill the messenger.

Haha, when it comes to hunting and life, I'm always messing something up. Hopefully a few less things over time. We're still bros :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:23 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Haha, when it comes to hunting and life, I'm always messing something up. Hopefully a few less things over time. We're still bros :lol:

I was just busting chops amigo. But u bring up a good point that is usually awkward. I’ve been on both sides of it and believe it’s just easier not to say nothing. Been times I knew the guy I was with had way more knowledge than me and wanted him to tell me what the heck I’m doing wrong. I’ve also been with others where I shook my head and wondered what in the heck they are doing. Not easy to offer advice without sounding like a know it all. And it’s also not easy asking advice and admitting someone knows more than you. Slippery slope which is why I believe chipmunks do must the talking.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 am

I have like 3 friends and a bunch of acquaintances. When it comes to deer hunting I have a few trusted resources but most of it is learned from the school of hard knocks and sweat equity.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:40 pm

IMO...

I believe the thing to focus on when it comes to this are these key factors: Level of effort, passion and commitment. You want to find people for your circle that match you in those qualities. Even if your circle has no one that is a primo hunter, your combined effort, passion and commitment to learning and growing together will get you to where you need to be. Knowledge can be relative, but those qualities in a person must match or you will always feel a disconnect in your circle.
Head

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”