I found a really nice buck... now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

I found a really nice buck... now what?

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:12 pm

So, I went out for a drive this evening in an area that I may or may not get to hunt this September. The map shows the spot I saw a really nice buck. He was browsing in the beans with a forky and several does around 7:30pm. Being that early, can I assume he is bedded close by? I have looked in this field previously and saw a very nice buck in the same spot, around the same time a week or two ago, but it was hard to tell if this is the same one since I didn't yet have my good binoculars at that time. I know there are multiple beds in the timber in that corner just northeast of where I spotted him, and I am assuming it is mostly the doe bedding. I've been to that field 3 or 4 times, and saw the buck twice and saw does every time, and they all seem to come from that corner. First of all, where would his bedding area likely be? Second of all, that particular field is beans, and all of the other fields are grass. Our season here begins Sept 15th. I am not sure when the beans will turn, but when they do, won't he likely be going somewhere else? If he leaves, is there any way to try to predict where he might go? There is alot of corn in other areas, but not in the immediate area. There are likely a bunch of oaks in the timber, so that could be a possibility, and if so would he likely continue to bed in the same area? I am pretty inexperienced hunter (only my second season), and this is the first buck I've found that I've really hoped to target. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Buck Area.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: I found a really nice buck... now what?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:58 am

Hard to say unless you get in there and check it out. He could be bedding on the woodlot surrounding or on the windblown (leeward) side of that hill to the right. He may even be bedding in the grass too in one of those other fields on the edge near escape cover. If its hot out your way, find a water source nearby- he could be bedding near that too. I would keep glassing it for now- but if you have a general idea-I would do a speed scout about a week before your opener and see where he's rubbing and work your way back toward the thick. He should be rubbing out his velvet around that time and you can HOPEFULLY follow that sign to his core area/bedding.
Last edited by MichiganMike on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:06 am

MichiganMike wrote:Hard to say unless you get in there and check it out. He could be bedding on the woodlot surrounding or on the windblown (leeward) side of that hill to the right. He may even be bedding in the grass too in one of those other fields on the edge near escape cover. If its hot out your way, find a water source nearby- he could be bedding near that too. I would keep glassing it for now- but about a week before your opener I would do a speed scout and see where he's rubbing and work your way back toward the thick. He should be rubbing out his velvet around that time and you can HOPEFULLY follow that sign to his core area/bedding.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:43 pm

I actually have done some walk through the edge of the field and the hills next to the field, but I was wondering what others might think from just the map alone. The red bed area is an area where there were multiple obvious beds, which I assume they are doe beds due to the number of beds, being mediocre cover, and the proximity to the ag field. The light blue bed is a single isolated bed in a thicker area, but I wasn't really sure if it was a doe bed or a buck bed, and wasn't really sure how I could determine which it is. I have though that it could be the bed of the fork buck I saw, but that's a wild guess. The darker blue bed is an isolated bed in the drainage area between the hills that is a very well worn bed with much more secure cover. It is pretty well hidden under a shrub canopy and with briars and fairly thick cover surrounding it. (see pic, but it was much better in person than in the pic) I was pretty convinced it is a buck bed just because of how secure it seems to be. I also was thinking that the thermals could give him an advantage in that drainage area, since the thermals would likely be coming down from behind him where he can see down the lower elevation, as well as having the does and younger buck down hill giving him security before entering the field (again, I could be way off). Also, as you can see, the bed isn't that far from the road, however the are access trails are located on the west edge of the field and to the east on the peak of the hill, so human intrusion in the spot of the bed is likely very low (I'm guessing).

Buck Bed Area.jpg

Buck Bed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:37 pm

I would agree, the dark blue marker looks like classic big buck bed location. He may also have beds around the point for different winds and possibly on that point to the northeast. Though that one doesn't look as steep.

You might want to erase the identifiable info off your picture.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:38 am

Glass earlier and see where he comes from.

Summertime life is easy he could be bedded in the beans or anywhere on the edge if people aren’t walking around the field.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:56 am

Huntress13 wrote:I would agree, the dark blue marker looks like classic big buck bed location. He may also have beds around the point for different winds and possibly on that point to the northeast. Though that one doesn't look as steep.

You might want to erase the identifiable info off your picture.

um, yea... i did, but apparently posted the wrong one... oops. thanks for letting me know
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 am

Here's the pic with the beds I was describing above. I'm curious if their patterns don't change, how would be a good way to attempt to hunt it? I was thinking one possibility is afternoon set up in the row of timber just out of sight from the doe bedding, within shooting range of where they brows in early evening. Another possibility being a morning sit closer to the dark blue bed to catch him on his way back to bed, but I am not sure what would be the best set up since I assume the thermals will be pulling down toward him as he returns (isn't that right?). Of course I have a feeling the patterns may change if the beans are drying by the time the season begins. If the beans in that field dry up, is there a possibility the buck may use the same bed, and travel to another food source? I believe there were white oaks in the hills, which I believe are producing this year. That makes me think there is hope he may remain in that area, but again, all of my thoughts are minimally educated guesses.

Buck Bed Area.jpg
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:08 am

Brad wrote:Here's the pic with the beds I was describing above. I'm curious if their patterns don't change, how would be a good way to attempt to hunt it? I was thinking one possibility is afternoon set up in the row of timber just out of sight from the doe bedding, within shooting range of where they brows in early evening. Another possibility being a morning sit closer to the dark blue bed to catch him on his way back to bed, but I am not sure what would be the best set up since I assume the thermals will be pulling down toward him as he returns (isn't that right?). Of course I have a feeling the patterns may change if the beans are drying by the time the season begins. If the beans in that field dry up, is there a possibility the buck may use the same bed, and travel to another food source? I believe there were white oaks in the hills, which I believe are producing this year. That makes me think there is hope he may remain in that area, but again, all of my thoughts are minimally educated guesses.

Buck Bed Area.jpg

Thermals pull up in the morning and down in the evening typically. So keep that in mind. His pattern shouldn't change too much if its his core area. I really don't worry about beans too much personally in my area since our opener is Oct 1st- I definitely focus on white oaks. See if there are any white oaks near that area. Also I like to check for early season sign (early to mid sept in my area)like where they rub out their velvet and try to trail that to bedding. Usually they throw a scrape or 2 down around that time too. If I bump him- no big deal they usually come back. Also Keep an eye on the does and where they are bedding as the season gets into Mid October- he'll be around. Good luck
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am

What is the predominant wind direction? Are all of those fields in beans? From what I have learned regarding morning hunt, they return to bed very early in the morning before the rut, bedding at first light. So you have to be in and set up well before first light to beat him to bed. Once there are hunters in the woods, a mature buck is going to stick in the heavy cover and may not enter the fields until dark in the evening, so you want to be on his trail between the bed and the food to see him while there is still daylight. Wind is going to be your deciding factor in which side of that point he is bedding on and how to set up on his trail.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:50 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Brad wrote:Here's the pic with the beds I was describing above. I'm curious if their patterns don't change, how would be a good way to attempt to hunt it? I was thinking one possibility is afternoon set up in the row of timber just out of sight from the doe bedding, within shooting range of where they brows in early evening. Another possibility being a morning sit closer to the dark blue bed to catch him on his way back to bed, but I am not sure what would be the best set up since I assume the thermals will be pulling down toward him as he returns (isn't that right?). Of course I have a feeling the patterns may change if the beans are drying by the time the season begins. If the beans in that field dry up, is there a possibility the buck may use the same bed, and travel to another food source? I believe there were white oaks in the hills, which I believe are producing this year. That makes me think there is hope he may remain in that area, but again, all of my thoughts are minimally educated guesses.

Buck Bed Area.jpg

Thermals pull up in the morning and down in the evening typically. So keep that in mind. His pattern shouldn't change too much if its his core area. I really don't worry about beans too much personally in my area since our opener is Oct 1st- I definitely focus on white oaks. See if there are any white oaks near that area. Also I like to check for early season sign (early to mid sept in my area)like where they rub out their velvet and try to trail that to bedding. Usually they throw a scrape or 2 down around that time too. If I bump him- no big deal they usually come back. Also Keep an eye on the does and where they are bedding as the season gets into Mid October- he'll be around. Good luck

If I am able to hunt the area it will be only from Sept 15-27th, so i won't be worried about the rut activity, & I am not sure if the beans will be used at that time or not. I wasn't able to find any rubs in the area, & the closest one I did find was about 0.8 miles from there. I didnt see any real "buck sign", only a really nice buck that got me excited.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Huntress13 wrote:What is the predominant wind direction? Are all of those fields in beans? From what I have learned regarding morning hunt, they return to bed very early in the morning before the rut, bedding at first light. So you have to be in and set up well before first light to beat him to bed. Once there are hunters in the woods, a mature buck is going to stick in the heavy cover and may not enter the fields until dark in the evening, so you want to be on his trail between the bed and the food to see him while there is still daylight. Wind is going to be your deciding factor in which side of that point he is bedding on and how to set up on his trail.

The predominant wind is SW to SSW. If I were to try to hunt a morning I would get in really early, and I would get very close to the bed. I am not sure if he would come in over the little saddle of the hill to the N/NE of the bed with his nose to the wind, or if he would come up the drainage with his nose to the thermals...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Too long for my simple mind to read.
So! I say kill it!! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Too long for my simple mind to read.
So! I say kill it!! :mrgreen:

That's the plan! See the buck. Go get the buck. Why try to complicate things, right?
But seriously, I'm new to deer hunting and have become beyond obsessed with targeting and closing the deal on a big buck. I'm just hoping to get insight from those more experienced and more knowledgeable that I. I just can't wait until Sept 15th.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Brad wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:What is the predominant wind direction? Are all of those fields in beans? From what I have learned regarding morning hunt, they return to bed very early in the morning before the rut, bedding at first light. So you have to be in and set up well before first light to beat him to bed. Once there are hunters in the woods, a mature buck is going to stick in the heavy cover and may not enter the fields until dark in the evening, so you want to be on his trail between the bed and the food to see him while there is still daylight. Wind is going to be your deciding factor in which side of that point he is bedding on and how to set up on his trail.

The predominant wind is SW to SSW. If I were to try to hunt a morning I would get in really early, and I would get very close to the bed. I am not sure if he would come in over the little saddle of the hill to the N/NE of the bed with his nose to the wind, or if he would come up the drainage with his nose to the thermals...

Read up on the J hook, scent checking the bedding area carefully.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”