To grunt or not to grunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WCenWi Swamper

To grunt or not to grunt

Unread postby WCenWi Swamper » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Rut related question for this topic. This results to the bigwoods guys here as well. So in other words both sides of the spectrum as far as pressure is concerned. I have been sceptical over the years. In the bigwoods i have no problem grunting in alot of 1.5 YO and 2.5YO. But.... Dramatically falls when talking older bucks, but I have had my fair share of encounters with them using the grunt. I am just wondering if I am in a way hurting myself? I know I am not alone here.

Bio1

Re: To grunt or not to grunt

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Personally I won’t hesitate to grunt at a good one that is going to get by me. At that point what do you have to lose? If I think he is going to come by in range I’ll keep quiet, though and I don’t just blind call. I’ve killed quite a few big ones with a grunt call.

Bio1
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:12 am

I agree with Bio1. While I rarely blind call, I’ll give one a few grunts if it looks like he isn’t going to commit to my direction
How bad do you want it?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:14 am

Imo no harm in grunting at any buck that is moving away out of range or moving too fast. I guess only qualifier would be unless you have a good head in him to get back in there but not likely in big woods during the rut.

I do a lot of blind calling and kill a fair number of my bucks that way but in very specific sets where I’m protected by obstructions on the downwind side and almost always within ear shot of known bedding. Pair it with a decoy and it can be lethal.

I’ve stopped blind calling if I’m in a spot where it’s easy for a buck to loop around on me though, and most of the woods spots for hunt qualify. Like you said grunted a lot of smaller bucks right to the tree but on older bucks more often than not get looped on downwind at 50 to 100 yards and they bugger out.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 am

I grunt a lot and it works for me, usually the biggest hurdle in the bigwoods is finding ears to hear you. I have grunted in several older class deer, I seem to have my best luck being patient, it might take a few call sequences, and the bucks will come in really slow and on alert so you have to be ready and on the lookout. I wonder how many I have called in that have busted me I never knew were there. :lol:

I have also called in a few bucks right at last light, say you have 5-10 minutes before dark and you haven't seen or heard a thing yet. A few soft grunts seems to get the attention of any bucks in the area but it isn't easy because you are losing light fast and they don't really want to commit until after dark but you might find a window of opportunity in there.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:54 am

I have mixed opinions on it. However I hunt a tiny portion of whitetail woods and believe they don’t act the same everywhere. But the only bucks I’ve ever personally seen grunting in the woods produce a series of sounds I just can’t replicate from a tree stand.

I also don’t hunt a primo spot only once a season. In my experience even if a buck doesn’t respond to a guy grunting u can count on him being curious and when he comes back through he’s headed straight towards your tree and will discover your bad intentions. Being that I don’t give up on a spot after one sit I either adapt my stand location to what I witnessed or call it a fluke and wait for him to do what I expected when picking the tree.

Now if I was A one and done or last day of the season I don’t have nothing to lose so might as well throw the Hail Mary.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 am

Bio1 wrote:Personally I won’t hesitate to grunt at a good one that is going to get by me. At that point what do you have to lose? If I think he is going to come by in range I’ll keep quiet, though and I don’t just blind call. I’ve killed quite a few big ones with a grunt call.

Bio1

Same here.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 am

I have blind called in a few but boy, I’m thinking I need to cut that out. Unless maybe there’s a good breeze (in which case My sound may not reach them) I’ve had em come in on me within bow range but unable to see them, so quiet you can here a pin drop. You don’t dare call again at that range.. Then their ears are so locked in the slightest noise That’s obv not a deer and they’re gone. (And since I’m blind calling in a sling it’s kinda hard to be setup for the shot cus idk exactly how they’re going to approach)

If I do blind call I like to have something hooked to the string I pull my bow up with so I can rustle some leaves down on the ground. I feel like I got better responses when I started doing that. I think after grunting or a rattling sequence “swoosh” of the leaves sound it really helps firm things up.

If I see one that’s bypassing me I’ll GRunt for sure. Nothing to loose.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am

I have had good results grunting at bucks that are out of range. Unless I see one I prefer to maintain the element of surprise.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:21 am

Bio1 wrote:Personally I won’t hesitate to grunt at a good one that is going to get by me. At that point what do you have to lose? If I think he is going to come by in range I’ll keep quiet, though and I don’t just blind call. I’ve killed quite a few big ones with a grunt call.

Bio1

Same here. I actually killed my biggest mature buck after I pulled him away from a hot doe with a grunt sequence. I honestly think that kill never would have happened without calling. They came towards me on a cattail trail and the doe turned right on parallel trail heading away from me with the buck right on her tail. I had nothing to lose so I grunted and he did a 180 to challenge the interloper and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 12 yards. Never would have happened without those grunts.

I don’t do blind calling anymore. Called in a lot of young bucks that way but older bucks don’t fall for that too often. My experience is that they come in downwind looking for a visual and bust you just about every single time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:06 pm

I’ve called a lot of bucks in over the years with the tube.....some big, and a lot not so big. If I see that they are not going to walk by within range and it looks like a good one I’m on the tube. Other than that it stays in my pocket.

Have also intervened in quite a few chases by calling the buck off a doe...just have to hit em loud and at the right time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:20 pm

I was going to make a wise crack about Mudddy growling, but he kills bigger stuff than me, so I will shut it :oops:

Arrowbender, where you at? This is your topic
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:52 pm

Heck during black powder season I have gone from bedding areas to bedding area calling, pulled in a couple decent bucks I passed on. One would have been a really nice 8 but had one side busted off. Like Lou mentions Arrowbender has some good info, been a ton of fun messing with those bucks heads.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 am

I have shot some grunting in. Mostly during the rut in the bedding areas. Thick cover works the best. It doesn’t always work. I saw a yearling and a three year old together last year during early November. I grunted at them. The yearling came in but the bigger buck circled downwind out of bowrange. I was walking into my stand and seen them in an open woods. I think it works better in thick cover where they can’t use their eyes

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”