How do you feel about naming deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Re: How do you feel about naming deer?

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:20 am

Ill name them simple stuff just because then I can identify when talking in the group about the buck. Its easier to say I saw the Broken Brow 7 at this stand or at this camera in my mind. We had a buck named Stickers because of all his junk and then one named Sticks after because it looked like it was his offspring. Just simple stuff to identify.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:53 am

Bucks that we have history with and also several years of trail cam pics eventually get nicknames. Not all bucks get names. Just the locals. It's not to be cool or sound like we're pros. It's for simplicity in talking about them in conversations. Instead of saying the one 8 pointer we got on camera at the culvert trail in October that one time, it's easier to call them something like Chip or Rome. Some guys get really into it and I don't see anything wrong with it. Some guys don't care for it at all and that's fine too.
pa_archery_nut

Unread postby pa_archery_nut » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:30 am

I do not name every buck I come across. That said, I have a mature buck that I've been after with a big chunk missing from his left ear. I named him 'Holyfield'. When a buck has an identifying feature such as this ear, sometimes a nickname just happens.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:41 am

Why not?

How else to do refer to the buck you are chasing?
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:39 am

I used to name deer back when it was cool, but now its just seems weird. Hopefully it is a fad that the "big leaguers" are starting to move away from.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 am

I've named a few deer.
I don't see any harm in it.
Never have taken any that ihave named.

We once had on camera a poor young doe that was shot in the face. We named her gunshot. We fed her and she lived 4 more years that I know of.

How she was able to eat we still don't know but she did.

When I was in my teens we had a old mature doe that every single time we hunted would hunt us. She would circle us and stomp her feet over and over she got the name stomper.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 am

I like to name deer once they reach a certain size, but that's just how I differentiate one big 9 or 10 point from another big 9 or 10 point. To each their own and whatever makes the chase more fun to them.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:25 am

I know it probably sounds silly, but I don't name them because I think that anthropomorphises them and ultimately would make it harder to kill it. When you name something it leads to a level of affection that for me I don't want to deal with when I am trying to kill something.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:49 am

Archivist13 wrote:I know it probably sounds silly, but I don't name them because I think that anthropomorphises them and ultimately would make it harder to kill it. When you name something it leads to a level of affection that for me I don't want to deal with when I am trying to kill something.

Good point. I had to look that word up :D
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:10 am

I don't name bucks because I don't know any bucks.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:51 am

Archivist13 wrote:I know it probably sounds silly, but I don't name them because I think that anthropomorphises them and ultimately would make it harder to kill it. When you name something it leads to a level of affection that for me I don't want to deal with when I am trying to kill something.

U definitely have a different mentality on it that I appreciate. But personally I name all kinds of stuff that has no emotional attachment. I name kill sites, I name bows, and I even name land marks. I believe US troops in Vietnam called the enemy Charlie and had no probs slangin hot lead.

But I do see your point I just don’t get that feeling. I can’t help it. I’m a natural born predator and they are prey. I might act nice all summer watching and waving. But make no mistake about it. Come October 1st I’m headed out with bad intentions. Name or no name. I am gonna drop Mr deer like a bad habit 8-)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 am

I don’t name very many. Which causes problems because I keep up with multiple bucks and watch some of them for several years.
There are two reasons I don’t name them. It helps me not to get to attached to them and it keeps me from thinking they are “my deer”.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am

I’m gonna name the next big stud buck I see after George Costanza’s alias......Buck Naked. :mrgreen:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:36 am

I’m planning on getting at least 2 cams and running them next summer. I think naming deer that are still alive is a bit cheesy, but i see how it helps for simplicity sake.

Now, I’ve got 2 bucks that are shoulder mounted in the living room. Those got named, and I will probably name all the ones that I have shoulder mounted from here on out. they are like low maintenance pets, that never complain about what we want to watch on TV.

It’s also fun for my twin toddlers, they keep shooting them and and asking to pet them. I’ve got a “gnarly Charlie” and “Boudreaux” hopefully I can add another one soon!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”