ISO stand

For Sale / Free Stuff / Wanted /
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nduer8442

ISO stand

Unread postby nduer8442 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:18 pm

I’m relatively new to hunting public. And really have been learning a lot from The hunting beast. I don’t have a lot of money especially amid this pandemic and also having my first child. Where could I find a cheap light weight Hanging stand and climbing sticks. I see a lot of these set ups for sale around me but are always listed at 250 300 and I don’t have that to spend. Appreciate the help. Stay safe

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: ISO stand

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 pm

I look at it this way- spend money on the sticks. Make sure that they stack and pack well and that they are light. I’d rather a heavier stand that my sticks fit nicely on, than an 6 pound stand with terrible stacking sticks on the back. This is my opinion.
At that price point, it is going to be difficult to get everything that you are asking for at once. Invest in some nice backpack straps and make it work for now.
Keep an eye out on the social media listings, you can always find that great deal, you just have to be the first one to jump on it.
Best of luck you you and the new family
Ryan
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Good sticks will get you where you want to be. Once they are hung, you can get a 30# stand in the tree with no problem. The sticks facilitate the efficiency of the operation.
Again, all this is my opinion.
Ryan
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:55 pm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022352168?pid=964477

The stand is not as light as advertised, I read a review that put it at 12-13 pounds. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a stick and stand combo for less than this. $210 plus shipping. Midwayusa has been running free shipping on and off the last two months.

The other option that came to mind would be hawk sticks for around a hundred bucks and a cheap steel hang on.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2130271
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Hawk sticks and stands pop up on Camofire just about every week, along with some other stands and sticks. I'd keep an eye out there if you're in the market.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:46 pm

theAdmiral wrote:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022352168?pid=964477

The stand is not as light as advertised, I read a review that put it at 12-13 pounds. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a stick and stand combo for less than this. $210 plus shipping. Midwayusa has been running free shipping on and off the last two months.

The other option that came to mind would be hawk sticks for around a hundred bucks and a cheap steel hang on.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2130271

For someone just getting into it, this might be exactly what the OP is looking for. Hawk takes some flack for the weight on their products being off, but this set up will do pretty much anything you need it to do.

209 bucks for a stand and sticks is a really good price imo.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:53 pm

I know you mentioned that you're new to hunting public land, so was I not that long ago. I used a cheap menards stand and sticks, both were steel and weighted a ton, but it got me out hunting and didn't break the bank. I paid $35 for the stand and $40 for 4 sticks (the sticks were on sale). You can also watch your local classifieds, I just picked up an old loggy bayou aluminum stand for $25, it weights in at 14#'s. What I'm trying to saw is use what you can afford, then slowly upgrade as you have the money.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am

I was looking around and found some new climbing tree stands for around 100 bucks.

You’d be limited a little with the type of tree you can climb, but that might be your ticket for entry into getting up in a tree for cheap.

I ran a climber for a while and shot plenty of deer out of it.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:31 am

This should go without saying, but whatever you buy, make sure to get a good harness, tether, and lineman's belt to go with your stand and sticks.
kher

Unread postby kher » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 am

Look on FB market and Craigslist daily, you be surprised to see some deals. You just have to be quick to respond cause things sell fast these days
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 am

I think you're got some great advice above, I wanna throw out a slightly different perspective. Buy used lone wolf sticks or new novix mini sticks. Either will get you to a good height and puts you around $100-$125 and you will never need to upgrade unless you have extra money you want to spend. I think the hawk helium sticks cross the line from affordable to cheap, and the quality suffers for it. Bent bolts, broken components, etc.

Now you need a stand, or maybe a saddle. You can find a used stand for $100 to $150, but you will still need a safety harness, tree strap/tether and a linemans rope. Or, you can make a diy saddle from a rock climbing harness and sit drag. At the high end, you are gonna be around $80 plus tether and linemans. And you will be much lighter than a used hawk stand or lone wolf assault 2.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 am

You can find a good setup for a good price but it may take some time. Check facebook marketplace or craigslist. I would suggest a nicer light weight stand. I think your hunting experience would be better if your going to do hang and hunts. Or you could buy a climber.. I found a lone wolf hand climber for 150 I think a couple years ago and really liked that stand. You just need straight trees.
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:32 am

I’d go with a novix Echo stand, the sale ends July 30th. Then I’d get some hawk helium sticks. The novix is definitely worth the money and will last a long time. In the future when you save up the money buy some beast sticks.
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:42 am

I understand that money is tight, but it’s better to buy quality stuff once and not be buying junk all the time. The novix stand will not need to be replaced and the hawk sticks honestly resell pretty good and will sell quickly when you have the money saved up. I bought the run n gun set up from hawk and I’m not impressed, the stand has a small platform and it’s pretty heavy for what it is. The aluminum also bends per easy because it’s welded and not cast, however I do like the hawk sticks. I did do an amsteel daisy chain on them which is worth the money compared to the straps, but you can also do a buckle less strap to keep it cheap. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Free Classifieds”