Choosing mineral lick sites

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Browndawg80

Choosing mineral lick sites

Unread postby Browndawg80 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am

I’m planning on going out this weekend to setup 2 or 3 mineral licks on a 100 acre property I have permission to hunt in southern Ohio. I don’t hunt over the minerals but instead use them to get pics of deer and take inventory. I’ve used minerals on another property I have access to for a few years now but never on this one. Anyway over the years I’ve setup a bunch of different licks and I’ve noticed some spots always seem to do better than others and some spots barely get touched at all. My best licks always seem to end up being close to a food source such as a small food plot or a big hay field but the new property is all big woods with no natural openings. Does anyone have any ideas for a property like this? I’m thinking of going top 1/3 elevation wise but any advice would be appreciated at this point.

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Re: Choosing mineral lick sites

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:40 am

I usually set up any mineral we've put out before around areas with high deer traffic. We use it more so to strengthen the deer rather than for hunting. Deer love it when its out and we have had cameras on it before.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:21 am

I put them in areas where I'm least likely to disrupt the area. I too use them to take inventory and find a particular buck's summer range. I dont get too hung up on summertime pictures because a buck's range typically changes in the fall. I would recommend establishing sites on the fringes of the property if it's a 100 acre square and only check the cameras when you have the wind in your favor.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:31 am

I just put out plain salt blocks starting in May. But much like your experience some are better than others. That’s why I put out a load of em. Also, depends on what your purpose is. Are u just looking to get inventory pics of the entire herd or are you trying to locate a biggens hideout?

For inventory purposes by a food or water source usually does pretty well and even gets dark pics of the better bucks. For locating a good one I will put em on the edge of the thickest stuff I can find. Some produce and some don’t. But by September I always find 4 or5 that get me excited
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 am

Without the high defined food sources, i would try them near a water source.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”