Blood Tracking Dog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pike

Re: Blood Tracking Dog

Unread postby Pike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am

Basinboy wrote:Here she is! Half Cur Half Lab. Mom is pure Catahoula Cur and Dad is a Yellow Lab. Going to make a fine Blood Trailing dog.

She is adorable!! Congrads on a fine looking pup!! Pike

Pike

Re: Blood Tracking Dog

Unread postby Pike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 am

Basinboy wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:Basinboy--our pups must be sisters! I got my puppy, "CC" about 2 weeks ago. She is half catahoula and half lab....I have NO idea on how to blood track train a dog. I would like to do so as she appears to have a fantastic nose. Beautiful pup you have there man. Here is mine.

She's a beauty! I have never trained one. But they say it isn't real hard. Start now with short blood trails. Make the trails harder as she gets the hang of it. Make fun for her. Giving her plenty of praise goes a long way.

Yes start early as possible!
I just made a post in the Pet forum on this very same topic but I dont know if it will help you much since I was able to use the aid of real deer to train my pup, Buck to track wounded deer. But here it is anyway. Good Luck!!
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I trained one of my pups named Buck to track wounded deer, He was a lab/pitbull mix and he was excellent at recovering deer.
When I was a teen I found him trying to chase ducks and geese at a local pond one night, he had a collar that had spikes on the inside of it digging into his neck and a York Barbell steel plate attached to it by a steel chain.
Since the dog was oviously being trained to fight I decided to keep him.,( Buck is also the reason I started adopting dogs and also help train them to be adoptable) shortly after our bow season started and every time one of my friends stopped over to show me a deer, Buck would go crazy, he automaticly knew when I or one of my friends had a deer in the in the back of the truck even though he couldnt see it.
So I started hiding our deer behind the garage etc. and then letting him follow the drag marks to the deer and he would find them in no time. Then every time I or one of my friends shot a deer I would take buck the next day and put him on the drag marks, by the time I arrived at the gut pile he was already their eating it. Then I started tracking wounded deer for friends with him, If the deer was dead he would find them, then I started tracking deer for co-workers,class mates and family members of friends. It got to the point that we were tracking deer 2-3 days a week.
I had to completely stop doing it. The funny thing is during all this time I never needed Buck to help me find a deer, even though I would go get him to track the deer anyway. But a month after Buck passed, I shot a buck that I couldnt find.
My advice is if you want to train a dog to track wounded deer start just prior to bow season and ask your faimily and friends to let you know as soon as they harvest a deer. There is nothing like using the real thing for training. And if you need a dog to train please consider adopting them!!
You can get just as good of a hunting dog/pup from a rescue, shelter or pound as you can from a breeder. Pike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”