2020 Foss & Bolssen Bear Season

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Re: 2020 Foss & Bolssen Bear Season

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sun May 24, 2020 6:41 am

Looking good guys! Excited to see how the season goes for you!!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 24, 2020 10:53 am

Mike Foss wrote:This is another Myth.....do bears like to go shopping at Malls? This one does he was standing in an entrance at Miller Hill Mall "Duluth Minnesota". Wonder what size he wears, he's a big one.

Might be a good spot for a bait pile Mike! 8-)
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun May 24, 2020 11:58 am

dan wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:This is another Myth.....do bears like to go shopping at Malls? This one does he was standing in an entrance at Miller Hill Mall "Duluth Minnesota". Wonder what size he wears, he's a big one.

Might be a good spot for a bait pile Mike! 8-)

Bait it and they will come :D !.... Hope to get one coming in that size... during the bear rut we will but always tough to keep them around. Will be going up for 5 days this coming week, solo camping + bear baiting + Kayak fishing in some remote lakes.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Left Green Bay At 6 am to head 4 hours north to bait and put up a new cuddie link camera. Got to Washburn around 10:30. Dropped off bait I brought up for us to use and loaded up the truck to head out. Baited three stations and all were empty. Took pics of the sites to post some pics but they aren’t here. :think: Put up the cuddie link at one of the bait sites and got pics from when we were baiting the log so that is a plus. It is working. Can’t wait to get back up in two weeks.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:23 am

Made one day overnight trip, baited, checked trail cameras, few new bears but nothing to write home about had our first Sow with two cubs visit one of our baits a half hour before I got there to bait. I will be headed back up either this Monday or Tuesday to bait all week, camp, and do a little fishing with my kayak. https://youtu.be/5-aIivgUUII
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Glad to see these cubs.... last year very few sow with cubs. Who knows, maybe someday one of these will grow into one of those monster bears everyone dreams about!

Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:43 pm

[size=
F39DE516-4D33-410E-AB01-9E3B15711C5C.jpeg
150][/size]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 am

Been a few weeks since I have been able to go up and bait. Work is killing me. Quit eating ice cream cones so I can get up north. LOl. Last weekend scheduled to work tomorrow so I should be able to get up more. Mike has been keeping the baits full so I appreciate that. The Cuddelink I bought was put up on 5/7 and hasn't run out of batteries yet. Taken 768 pics and still going. I would have to say I am happy about that. Some reviews I read were saying they didn't last that long but a month is quite a long time. Can't wait to get back up next weekend to check stuff out and see how thick it is getting. Need to make a few repairs to a stand but otherwise all looks good so far.
T_00016.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 am

Finally have time to update. Went up to bait Saturday and found the baits to be empty. One bait had the cover off but the log was still standing. Have to wait for pics to see if it was raccoon or bear. The camera was moved so we are hoping a bear was there. My other bait has been getting hit regularly. The mom and cubs haven't been around but there are two decent boars hanging around. The cubs were super small so she may have moved on.
T_00003.JPG
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 am

Its been a while since I posted, this 90s hot weather is almost too much, the nats, flies, mosquitos, are killers, I am using 98% deet to battle them away, it is also so dry up here. In the last few years, I have noticed a slow decline with bear activity at both of our most Northern two bait stations, I attribute that to Wolves (Echo Valley Pack), in the past, they would venture through but now I am convinced they have made this area one of there most visited locations, Brian is also getting the same bears on camera on a daily basis at both bait stations even though they are a good mile apart from one another reinforcing me even more that the once-great bear population we had in this area is dwindling or they are completely being pushed out, either way, the activity continues to drop significantly every year, so Brian and I have decided to abandon one of bait stations to hopefully congregate whats bears that are left to the better stand & bait station, the one that the GHOST bear visits. We are down one bait station, time to fire up one of the most remote public land baits I have, and it's not for the faint-hearted. In the wolf video, there are two male wolves, they are on one of my deer food plots and in the same area as one of Brians bear bait. The closest one is called EV-2, he's a 4-year-old male and the furthest is wolf 813, he's an old 8-year-old, they both have tracking collars on.

https://youtu.be/oVuF1ElE-D8 https://youtu.be/SpGToAWCaus
Last edited by Mike Foss on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:07 am

Sounds rough Mike. I give you a lot of credit for marching on in these hot temps. It’s miserable out there.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 am

Color Phase bears or not? I would like to think so, super rare for Wisconsin might turn black as they get older and little bear tearing the scent soaked hollow log bark off.

https://youtu.be/i6Z0F2O_Lqk https://youtu.be/4CkhoG8FoUI
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:53 am

8-) :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am

Those cublets sure look chocolate! Very rare in Wisconsin. It will be fun to watch them grow.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:20 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Those cublets sure look chocolate! Very rare in Wisconsin. It will be fun to watch them grow.

In all the years that I guided in that Northern area, we only shot 2 color (chocolate) phase bears and that was in the same year. This is only the second time I've ever captured color phase on trail camera "that's how rare it really is". Now, I guess I'm going to have to keep this area tight-lipped :shhh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”