Wind bump deer drive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Wind bump deer drive

Unread postby Seeker529 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:10 am

Has anyone ever tried wind bumping deer bow drives? I tried to look it up and there’s not much content on it other then a couple “the hunting public” videos... has anyone had any success or tips? I thought it be a fun way to get friends to help get a deer out of an un approachable spot! Really curious to see everyone’s thoughts and ideas on this!

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Re: Wind bump deer drive

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:24 am

Its something Ive wanted to try recently. Makes more sense if the wind cooperates. Id rather shoot at a walking deer then one that is bolting out of brush. I think doing it for bow would be tough tbh
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 am

Everyone has there opinion on right/wrong. For me, having one buddy nudge while the other waiting hunter sits with a bow is smart hunting. Yet storm the gates with numerous people and firearms I consider it bush league. Might as well sick the dogs loose and set some snare traps. Just my opinion and don’t judge others satisfaction. I down trees and make log jam ridges for no other reason but to steer deer within my 20 yard limit. In my head it’s using my brain to force movement but to each there own. I’m sure it can be highly frowned upon. But yes, if you get curious a good nudge is always something worth keeping in the tackle box.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm

I’ve wanted to do it with a buddy or two, but I don’t have many friends who are into hunting like I am. The buddies I do have that are into this style of hunting are usually busy filling tags of their own.

With that said, I’ve done soft wind bumps on my own to get them out of one bedding area and into a killable bedding area earlier on a day that I want to try getting the kill. I’ve done it 5-6 times, have had it work as far as seeing the target buck come out of the desired bedding area 3 times, and killed the target buck with this method once. So it does work!
How bad do you want it?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Look at Leatherwood outdoors. I think they have some other videos doing it as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_fN2-o-Gw

I have tried it a few times many years ago with a buddy or two, but didn't have any success. I do think it is a tactic that can work effectively.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:45 am

Been doing it as long as i remember, particularly on some public pieces - very successfully at times, complete mess at others. Everyone needs to understand the plan or they go to a mess in a hurry. It depends mostly on terrain and geography more than anything else.

As with any other hunts, it was best the first or second time in. On the second hunts, you were sometimes successful by setting up on exit routes that you miscalculated on the first hunt.

I saw some of the biggest deer of my life doing pushes like that. Never personally killed a giant doing it, but 95%+ of the times i orchestrated the push. Knowing how to get them moving, and getting them going in the right direction at the right pace, was key to getting opportunities. A lot of times bucks would be bedded in such terrible stuff that nobody would go in looking for them. Me and a buddy of mine would almost always do the drives for the our groups because they would get stuck in the marsh or sink too much, or truthfully just give up and give you the classic "I don't know why we didn't get anything moving". That drove me nuts to the point that i would just do all the drives. Eventually, I made a binder that was all marked up with Aerials and topos that would have standers' and drivers' responsibilities for each push on the big public pieces that we would hit.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Everyone has there opinion on right/wrong. For me, having one buddy nudge while the other waiting hunter sits with a bow is smart hunting. Yet storm the gates with numerous people and firearms I consider it bush league. Might as well sick the dogs loose and set some snare traps. Just my opinion and don’t judge others satisfaction. I down trees and make log jam ridges for no other reason but to steer deer within my 20 yard limit. In my head it’s using my brain to force movement but to each there own. I’m sure it can be highly frowned upon. But yes, if you get curious a good nudge is always something worth keeping in the tackle box.

Ewww! Hope I didn’t rub anyone the wrong way with my comments. For me Bush League is just a fun word to say and I try to work it in any chance I get :lol: In all honesty I believe hunting methods are basically ingrained by the state you learned to hunt in. What’s right for some gets a flag thrown by others. Hey, I’m a highly opinionated guy and not afraid to give my opinion. But end of the day it’s an opinion. Don’t get but hurt by it, or feel u r in the wrong cause some red neck across the country doesn’t agree. I support anyone who gives it there all and has a legit feeling of accomplishment in a legal manner. You think I’m wrong, or it’s just me? Start a topic on baiting and watch what happens! You will get guys pointing fingers who hunt with a sniper rifles on top of a 100 acre crop fields bad mouthing a guy with a long bow dumping corn. Then public to private..., that’s always a good debate. Point being it doesn’t matter everyone has opinions some are just scared to toss there’s out there. The beauty of the Beast is opinions are allowed as long as you don’t start belittling folks or make it a your way or the highway. Opinions aren’t just in hunting, it’s in everything. Live bait fisherman to artificial. Fly rods to bait casters. It’s everywhere and think in this country everybody should be allowed to have one as long as they don’t try to bully anyone who doesn’t agree.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:19 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Everyone has there opinion on right/wrong. For me, having one buddy nudge while the other waiting hunter sits with a bow is smart hunting. Yet storm the gates with numerous people and firearms I consider it bush league. Might as well sick the dogs loose and set some snare traps. Just my opinion and don’t judge others satisfaction. I down trees and make log jam ridges for no other reason but to steer deer within my 20 yard limit. In my head it’s using my brain to force movement but to each there own. I’m sure it can be highly frowned upon. But yes, if you get curious a good nudge is always something worth keeping in the tackle box.

Ewww! Hope I didn’t rub anyone the wrong way with my comments. For me Bush League is just a fun word to say and I try to work it in any chance I get :lol: In all honesty I believe hunting methods are basically ingrained by the state you learned to hunt in. What’s right for some gets a flag thrown by others. Hey, I’m a highly opinionated guy and not afraid to give my opinion. But end of the day it’s an opinion. Don’t get but hurt by it, or feel u r in the wrong cause some red neck across the country doesn’t agree. I support anyone who gives it there all and has a legit feeling of accomplishment in a legal manner. You think I’m wrong, or it’s just me? Start a topic on baiting and watch what happens! You will get guys pointing fingers who hunt with a sniper rifles on top of a 100 acre crop fields bad mouthing a guy with a long bow dumping corn. Then public to private..., that’s always a good debate. Point being it doesn’t matter everyone has opinions some are just scared to toss there’s out there. The beauty of the Beast is opinions are allowed as long as you don’t start belittling folks or make it a your way or the highway. Opinions aren’t just in hunting, it’s in everything. Live bait fisherman to artificial. Fly rods to bait casters. It’s everywhere and think in this country everybody should be allowed to have one as long as they don’t try to bully anyone who doesn’t agree.

Didn’t bother me a bit... I appreciated you insight and opinion cause that’s what I asked for! I am fairly new to this beast style hunting so I see something I have to ask about it in hopes I can learn at least one little thing more!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”