New to the site need help!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailjunky3
Facebook: Ryan Fair

New to the site need help!

Unread postby Whitetailjunky3 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Hey guys I’m new to the site and looking for some guidance. I have killed many doe on this property and have seen bucks with plenty of trail cam pics of them. I can’t seem to find a perfect stand location tho. I can hunt anywhere outlined in black. The little woods has a creek running thru it. Both places are hard access with a prevailing west wind. I have some new stands I want to hang any input. Thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jzehr92
Facebook: Jordan Widrick

Re: New to the site need help!

Unread postby Jzehr92 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 am

Is there any thicker bedding in those wood lots ? if not that property probably will be tough to kill a good buck on. Your best bet would be to stay out of there completely until rut and then hunt any trails or pinch points you know of.
Whitetailjunky3

Unread postby Whitetailjunky3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am

It’s ohio farm country not much real thick bedding but back on the creek there is some. I see all kinds of big bucks just not when I’m in the stand! If I move I see them else where.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Looks like a really fun property to figure out. I grew up about an hour or so northwest of there and still hunt my uncle's property back there, love hunting that kind of terrain.

I like this bowl on the north side of the property. On the south side, I like the row of trees on the east side. Are you allowed to hunt this point on the south side? That looks like classic bedding, especially for a west wind.

One other thing is where do people primarily access the property from? Now what places with thicker cover are within sight of those access areas?

I'd walk all of that, us all of the other edges and you should have a good idea of where to go from there based on the sign you see.

20200629_200229.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-200034_onX Hunt.jpg

20200629_200255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

I am going on an assumption, the crops are rotated between corn and beans?

I like the inside corners on the wood lots. If I am guess correctly, you have mostly SW and W winds until the colder weather or fronts push through.
SO I would think the bucks you are wanting to kill are going to be bedded facing out into the fields on the eastern sides of the wood lots.

The areas I circled I like for rut, and maybe evening sits.

The red dots are where I would look at possible stand sites. I like top center circle...but I think your scent in the evening when the thermals are falling, may be pulled into the field just south of you. That looks like a low spot in the field. So if the sign is there, you may have to make adjustments to not allow your scent to fall there....as the low spots are where deer like to enter the fields.

I like farm country and really see some good bucks on land in Ohio very similar to what you are hunting.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm

I’ll bet that there’s a bed next to the Middle tree in the small u of that pond. Bucks love to look over water at human access. That is as long as the grass isn’t mowed.
Whitetailjunky3

Unread postby Whitetailjunky3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:50 pm

I have tree stands at all the red dots. I can hunt the circled area. I have been all over the property and haven’t seen good buck bedding. It maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for. I picked up the beast farm country dvd to watch this weekend. I can hunt to the creek not in other side. It’s a big creek and where the field meets the woods it drops down 20 feet then to the creek I will try to post pictures. And I am the only one that hunts it so I can access anyway I want. Just trying to put all the pieces together. Thanks guys!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:10 am

The picture of the creek you posted... is that picture with you standing with South at your back, and North being the other side of the creek?

I realize the picture was taking after leaf drop...but looks pretty open through there.

Are there any thick edges passing in between the fields other than the other side of the creek (That side looks thick)
Whitetailjunky3

Unread postby Whitetailjunky3 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 am

Yes facing north here our some better pictures I found that will show you terrain changes and it is a lot thicker to the East on other side of low spot.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm

I like it! I would recommend very limited pressure. Do some distant observation sits. When you are limited with hunting spots on a parcel, try to keep them fresh as possible

Study your access and make sure your not being watched entering (very common in farmland)

Strike when its hot and kill one of those critters!
Whitetailjunky3

Unread postby Whitetailjunky3 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks a appreciate it! I hope to this fall!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”