Mast year?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucksquad1

Mast year?

Unread postby Bucksquad1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:44 am

Anyone think 2020 will be a good year for the White oaks?

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Mast year?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:44 am

For me in the Northeast we had very scarce whites last year so I'm hopeful that they are going to produce well. I've been looking but not seeing any, I have seen some trees with a good crop of reds though.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:52 am

Been super dry in my part of the upper Midwest, if we get rain it should be fine but I wonder.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am

We had a pretty late freeze here in WPA this Spring, so I am not expecting any white oaks. I think there may be some reds since they only produce every 2 years. About time for me to take some binoculars and check out some of spots to see what mast there is.
Bucksquad1

Unread postby Bucksquad1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:25 pm

cspot wrote:We had a pretty late freeze here in WPA this Spring, so I am not expecting any white oaks. I think there may be some reds since they only produce every 2 years. About time for me to take some binoculars and check out some of spots to see what mast there is.

I'm from the western part of pa as well. The 2 White oaks I have in the yard look pretty loaded up but the area I hunt I wasn't seeing them on the trees like they are at the house. Keepin my fingers crossed haha
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 pm

I have seen some white oak in Eastern WV recently which surprised me because we had frosts up to June 1. I have seen some red oak too. Too early to tell if it’s a mast year but we are due for a good white oak year it’s been 4 or 5 years since a good white oak crop.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:44 am

We had a pretty good crop of whites in my neck of the woods last year, so I’m not expecting much. After the first week of archery season the deer will be out in their normal haunts that no one else goes to and there is plenty of browse and good forage for them out there, it’s just a little more tricky to pinpoint where exactly they will come out to when they leave their beds.
How bad do you want it?
Jesse Miller

Unread postby Jesse Miller » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:22 pm

I scouted a big piece of public land along the Savannah river last Saturday. I walked about 7 miles looking for white oaks with acorns and persimmon trees. I found lots of white oak trees but the amount of acorns seemed to vary. I marked the loaded ones on the Huntstand app. Some are really close to bedding so I can't wait for the early season there.
Now therefore take, I pray thee,thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. Genesis 27:3
SwampApe

Unread postby SwampApe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 am

We had a small crop last year here in Florida, that combined with the drought this spring should make it an outstanding year. They’re starting to come in now so as long as a hurricane doesn’t come and knock all the trees over we should have a Mast year.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 am

Every year is a mast year for me I guess. I have yet to hunt a season and not find white oaks that were slam full with acorns.

Now that said I'm not talking every tree, and honestly I hope I never see a season like that, that would be too much food source and make it nearly impossible too pin down the X trees.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 am

Only select, very mature white oaks holding acorns in my area this year. Walked 4 parcels, one of which holds quite a few trees, very few holding. Reds seem to be doing fine, per usual.
Jesse Miller

Unread postby Jesse Miller » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 pm

I talked to a biologist last spring and he told me white oaks have the ability to produce acorns every year but it takes red oaks two years to produce acorns. A late freeze, however, can kill the blooms. So it may just be a thing of scouting to find the trees that are loaded in a certain year.
Now therefore take, I pray thee,thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. Genesis 27:3
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Central MN seems to have an average year. Last year was a bumper crop. I’ve noticed a few dropping this week which seems early.
Persistence is undefeated.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:Every year is a mast year for me I guess. I have yet to hunt a season and not find white oaks that were slam full with acorns.

Now that said I'm not talking every tree, and honestly I hope I never see a season like that, that would be too much food source and make it nearly impossible too pin down the X trees.

This is what I was wondering. There is one property I hunt that is full of oaks. And I wondered which area to target early, if they all hold food in a mast year, the deer could be anywhere and you'd be pushing them all over just walking in to a spot. I would assume they would then just mostly be hanging around the areas closest to their bedding areas?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:36 pm

The big Bur Oaks usually produce every year but not all trees produce. They are common in southern WI and will start dropping in august.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”