Tents for public hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Tents for public hunting.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 am

With season approaching seems important to discuss what will be our homes in the upcoming weeks. Rather then paying for a expensive hotel for Kentucky this year I finally picked up a Alps Chaos Series that I found cheap on Camofyre to be my bow season home.

What tents do you guys use?

Any tips on how you set yours up and stay comfortable in the heat?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Tents for public hunting.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:02 am

I did quite a bit of research before buying tried to find something decent in budget. A decent Kelty is great but beyond what I wanted to spend.

I definitely didn't want to be stuck with a cheap walmart leaker. So far setting it up in the yard and light rain it seems good.
I did buy some better stakes for the chaos was not impressed with ones it came with.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:25 am

I slept in a tent cot then a tent for a couple years. Then Me and my buddy bought a used 16x7 enclosed trailer best thing ever. He nick named it the buck wagon. It’s pretty nice to have a full sized bed and a place to stay out of the wind. He likes to tinker so it’s gotten pretty nice. Plus it halls all our gear. We spend about 25 nights a year In it.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:37 am

Tribute80 wrote:I slept in a tent cot then a tent for a couple years. Then Me and my buddy bought a used 16x7 enclosed trailer best thing ever. He nick named it the buck wagon. It’s pretty nice to have a full sized bed and a place to stay out of the wind. He likes to tinker so it’s gotten pretty nice. Plus it halls all our gear. We spend about 25 nights a year In it.

Sounds awesome! Would love to see some pictures!!?
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:08 am

KLEMZ wrote:
Tribute80 wrote:I slept in a tent cot then a tent for a couple years. Then Me and my buddy bought a used 16x7 enclosed trailer best thing ever. He nick named it the buck wagon. It’s pretty nice to have a full sized bed and a place to stay out of the wind. He likes to tinker so it’s gotten pretty nice. Plus it halls all our gear. We spend about 25 nights a year In it.

It’s In travel mode but here are a couple. When the gear is out and the bed is moved back it’s perfect for 2. We slept 3 in it but it’s a little tight
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 pm

I’ve been using a Marmot 2 man tent. Really its just right for one person. I’ve been using it for three years and very compact to store and easy to set up.

1FF56743-945A-4713-BF97-60CA4577C79D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Spirit Lives On
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Tribute80 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

It’s In travel mode but here are a couple. When the gear is out and the bed is moved back it’s perfect for 2. We slept 3 in it but it’s a little tight

Neat
ratamahatta

Unread postby ratamahatta » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 am

Hot temps I usually go with a hammock and tarp. There are a few companies that integrate a mosquito net into them. I'm using a grand trunk skeeter beater.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:29 am

I have spent a lot of nights in an old LL Bean tent. As long as it keeps you dry, I don't think it really matters when you're camping next to the truck. If you're packing in somewhere and trying to save ounces, then the tent discussion gets interesting.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:I have spent a lot of nights in an old LL Bean tent. As long as it keeps you dry, I don't think it really matters when you're camping next to the truck. If you're packing in somewhere and trying to save ounces, then the tent discussion gets interesting.

That's why I chose the chaos it's under 4 pounds so I can take it anywhere. Seemed good for backpacking too.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

It’s a hammock with a rain tarp and a bug net for me.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm

ratamahatta wrote:Hot temps I usually go with a hammock and tarp. There are a few companies that integrate a mosquito net into them. I'm using a grand trunk skeeter beater.

Same for me! I have been meaning to purchase a super light weight rain fly. Probably should get on that.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Tribute80 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

That's great man, that's the way to go.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:10 am

I'll be a Seek Outside Silex this year, with or without a bivy depending on conditions (i.e. bugs or colder than expected temps). I've been using a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT, which is a good shelter, but a little annoying to get in and out of. My hunting related camping will be out of a backpack, so weight is pretty high on the list of important factors for me.

For car camping, I'd love to be in a Kodiak Flex Bow canvas tent but I haven't convinced myself (or my wife) that I need one enough to spend that kind of money. I'm a little interested in the Walmart version of that tent, I think it's the Ozark Trail Flex Ridge. If anyone has used that, I'd love to hear what you thought about it.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:01 pm

I have a $150 Cabelas tent that I used for a 10 day hunt in the mountains in Colorado last year. It was a 2-man so that I’d have enough room to lay out my gear at night.

We packed in 9.6 mile from the trailhead and stayed for 8 days. Needed to be light and I was on a budget. I treated the rain fly with an extra coating of waterproofing to be safe and tested it here at home multiple times before the trip.

We had some very severe storms throughout the hunt, but it held up and didn’t break the bank! I had plenty of room (I’m 6’-0”) and stayed completely dry. I did lay down a thin 6’x8’ tarp on the ground first to help combat ground moisture and it worked great. You don’t have to spend $700 on a tent, but I suggest giving it a few test runs before your hunt no matter what tent you go with. That goes with all gear.

Good luck!
How bad do you want it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”