To Saddle or Not?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: To Saddle or Not?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Every situation is not a nail and every tool is not a hammer..... It's a tool. But it's not the only one and in a number of circumstances isn't the best one either. Example: crooked tree where expected deer movement would have you wanting to set up with the tree leaning to your left/right.... Or where expected deer travel would have you set up in a direction where limbs would prevent you from swinging around to get the shot. There are lots of use cases where a stand would be better. Fans don't really talk about it but tree lean and limbs are serious concerns when you're in a saddle. And you do move more unless the deer happens to walk right where you need it to and you don't need to swing around up there like a gymnast.

Walking to the tree - saddle wins - every time... Once you get there... Now that's a different story. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Example - hike in aside for the moment - I think if someone told me they would rather sit all day in a saddle then a Viper, I would pretty much know they have blinders on.They only let themselves see one solution. I'm not saying don't get one. I would suggest that if you do though, don't sell your stand. You'll probably regret doing that.

I have a Viper and honestly would rather hunt out of my saddles. When set up properly they are really that comfortable. My back is pretty bad and a saddle is a godsend to me. This is coming from someone who hunted strictly out of Summit climbers from the mid 90’s to 2010 or so and still do on occasion during the gun season but even then may consider using a saddle. The only deciding factor is if I need to wear my HBS or IWOM. Either one is tough in a saddle.

Leaning trees are no fun to hunt in a hang on or even climbers either so I try not to choose them unless I have really to. With a good platform it’s still very doable when standing on and really not much different than hunting in a hang on. Rarely do I set up in a tree with my saddle and think a stand would be a better option. It’s all about improvising and making it work for each situation.

It’s an individual thing and there is no one size fits all approach that works for everybody. Do what works for you.

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 am

I used a saddle all last year. Have had it for probably 10. When I could use my climber I did but now that’s not an option. I’m on my feet 12 hrs a day and they just throb. So what I don’t like is leaning in the saddle and having the weight on my feet. I’ve tried sitting position in it and that really stunk. So I lean. I would like a light tree stand better I think but I’m too cheap to go buy one.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:57 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:I first tried saddle hunting after reading Eberhart's "Precision Bowhunting" around 2006. I aquired a Trophyline mesh saddle shortly after that. I loved the idea of minimal gear while hunting. I found that I would need to shift positions every ten minutes to remain comfortable. I was a sitter. I did not even know about simply leaning. One day I scared off a huge north woods buck because I was shifting around. DUH! I was using a ring of steps.

Then, I got the idea to make a "mini tree stand" platform with the seat of my sand cast Lone Wolf. This was around 2008 I suppose. I was way more comfortable being able to stand on the platform when I needed. I even made a bulky "back band". I was definitley more comfortable with these changes but figured out I wasn't really saving much weight because I needed a pack frame or backpack to carry my stuff. Eventually I just went back back to my 8.5 Lone Wolf. I use that to this day. I use a Tethrd Mantis as a saftey harness and occasionally use it as a saddle by sitting "backwards" in my stand. I hate when I have to do that, but whatever it takes.

By the way. The "Klemz" style platform that the Predator is based off of is my original platform idea. Thanks to BassboyLLp for carrying on the name. I chuckle every time I hear the term "Klemz style" platform.

Bottom line. Saddle hunting is not for everyone. Try it and see. Sell it if you don't like it. I am more comfortable in a stand.

My Klemz style platform works well. I know I'm not the only one who's glad you came up with the idea.

KLEMZ! The man, the legend! :D

I actually have an old original LW and I'm thinking of converting the seat to a platform. It would be very easy. So Klemz and/or. Nelson87... Would you still recommend doing it? I know there are commercial offerings now, but I'd rather use my existing gear and not spend the extra $.

If you want to try saddle hunting I don't see any reason not to use what you have. Give it a try! Google "klemz style platform" and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of stuff on saddlehunter. Klemz is famous, after all. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Nelson87 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:I first tried saddle hunting after reading Eberhart's "Precision Bowhunting" around 2006. I aquired a Trophyline mesh saddle shortly after that. I loved the idea of minimal gear while hunting. I found that I would need to shift positions every ten minutes to remain comfortable. I was a sitter. I did not even know about simply leaning. One day I scared off a huge north woods buck because I was shifting around. DUH! I was using a ring of steps.

Then, I got the idea to make a "mini tree stand" platform with the seat of my sand cast Lone Wolf. This was around 2008 I suppose. I was way more comfortable being able to stand on the platform when I needed. I even made a bulky "back band". I was definitley more comfortable with these changes but figured out I wasn't really saving much weight because I needed a pack frame or backpack to carry my stuff. Eventually I just went back back to my 8.5 Lone Wolf. I use that to this day. I use a Tethrd Mantis as a saftey harness and occasionally use it as a saddle by sitting "backwards" in my stand. I hate when I have to do that, but whatever it takes.

By the way. The "Klemz" style platform that the Predator is based off of is my original platform idea. Thanks to BassboyLLp for carrying on the name. I chuckle every time I hear the term "Klemz style" platform.

Bottom line. Saddle hunting is not for everyone. Try it and see. Sell it if you don't like it. I am more comfortable in a stand.

My Klemz style platform works well. I know I'm not the only one who's glad you came up with the idea.

KLEMZ! The man, the legend! :D

I actually have an old original LW and I'm thinking of converting the seat to a platform. It would be very easy. So Klemz and/or. Nelson87... Would you still recommend doing it? I know there are commercial offerings now, but I'd rather use my existing gear and not spend the extra $.

If you want to try saddle hunting I don't see any reason not to use what you have. Give it a try! Google "klemz style platform" and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of stuff on saddlehunter. Klemz is famous, after all. :lol:

I know! :D I did search saddlehunter and the number of references to it was overwhelming. We’re talking pages and pages of results. I saw a few variations on strap anchor setups, so I’ll probably mess with both. I’m going to give it a whirl. Thanks.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:52 am

I just bought one and have messed with it a little bit. So far I like it. Going to do some shooting this week from the saddle at actual hunting height.

I also just got done hanging a bunch of permanent stands and trimming trees today and I feel whipped. I’m looking forward to the weight and ease of setup with the saddle when I hunt public areas locally and when on out of state hunts.
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:20 am

As always, everything said is great advice and there isn't much to add. As with anything new, the only real way you are going to learn if you like it is to try it out. Saddlehunter.com members like to share their locations and are generally pretty good at letting people try the gear out. I switched to a saddle last year after a year of using a Lone Wolf Assault II and am beginning to think I'll probably never use the LW again. I did a lot of research before making the switch because a saddle and platform isn't cheap. If you decide to go with a saddle, I'd recommend hunting out of it 40-50 times before deciding if it is for you. Extreme comfort is achievable but it takes a lot of trial and error. I'd recommend a saddle that allows you to make adjustments (Mantis, Phantom, Kestrel are examples have a degree of adjustability in the saddle itself). If it aint comfy, you won't use it. I found that I was much less visible in the tree in the saddle vs a tree stand, could get into trees I couldn't get a stand in and it was quite easy to shoot out of. Best of luck in your decision.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Dewey wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Every situation is not a nail and every tool is not a hammer..... It's a tool. But it's not the only one and in a number of circumstances isn't the best one either. Example: crooked tree where expected deer movement would have you wanting to set up with the tree leaning to your left/right.... Or where expected deer travel would have you set up in a direction where limbs would prevent you from swinging around to get the shot. There are lots of use cases where a stand would be better. Fans don't really talk about it but tree lean and limbs are serious concerns when you're in a saddle. And you do move more unless the deer happens to walk right where you need it to and you don't need to swing around up there like a gymnast.

Walking to the tree - saddle wins - every time... Once you get there... Now that's a different story. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Example - hike in aside for the moment - I think if someone told me they would rather sit all day in a saddle then a Viper, I would pretty much know they have blinders on.They only let themselves see one solution. I'm not saying don't get one. I would suggest that if you do though, don't sell your stand. You'll probably regret doing that.

I have a Viper and honestly would rather hunt out of my saddles. When set up properly they are really that comfortable. My back is pretty bad and a saddle is a godsend to me. This is coming from someone who hunted strictly out of Summit climbers from the mid 90’s to 2010 or so and still do on occasion during the gun season but even then may consider using a saddle. The only deciding factor is if I need to wear my HBS or IWOM. Either one is tough in a saddle.

Leaning trees are no fun to hunt in a hang on or even climbers either so I try not to choose them unless I have really to. With a good platform it’s still very doable when standing on and really not much different than hunting in a hang on. Rarely do I set up in a tree with my saddle and think a stand would be a better option. It’s all about improvising and making it work for each situation.

It’s an individual thing and there is no one size fits all approach that works for everybody. Do what works for you.

I got rid of my climber simply because I don't see myself packing that cumbersome thing in anymore. LOL. I bought an Artic Shield Suit which is similar to the IWOM and HBS. Going to modify it with a couple of slots so that I can feed my bridge thru the slots. Will use a climbing strap with a biner for a 2nd bridge so that I can put the suit on when in the tree and still be tied off all the time. Where I am at in PA we typically don't get alot of weather where the suit is necessary. Will be nice to have though for those miserable cold days.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:09 pm

cspot wrote: Going to modify it with a couple of slots so that I can feed my bridge thru the slots.

I did this with my winter coat works like a charm and really made a difference late season.
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Very minor but the main thing that irritates me about saddle hunting is the fact I can’t have my binoculars on my chest without them interfering with my bridge. Other than that and the excessive movement at times I love hunting out of a saddle.

Also leaning trees are a no go for me as well in the saddle. I feel like I’m fighting gravitational pull towards the low side the whole hunt.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:50 am

ODH wrote:
cspot wrote: Going to modify it with a couple of slots so that I can feed my bridge thru the slots.

I did this with my winter coat works like a charm and really made a difference late season.

Any pics of what you did? I was going to cut a slot about 4" long or so on each side and then sew some scrap fabric around to protect the slot.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:11 am

cspot wrote:
ODH wrote:

Any pics of what you did? I was going to cut a slot about 4" long or so on each side and then sew some scrap fabric around to protect the slot.

That coat is up at camp so for now I’ll describe it - mine was easy I just made the slits inside the hand warmer pockets so I wasn’t cutting the exterior fabric. The pockets happened to line up pretty close to my tether attachment points. You just need a detachable tether (I think you mentioned that). I figured if it worked I would get someone to sew up the slits kind of like a button hole but haven’t done that yet. There is some fraying and some insulation popping out but not too bad. Much warmer and much more comfortable now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 am

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:39 am

Saddles are amazing each one is different and it can take trying a few to find the right one.

I spent all last season in two saddles.
Bow season in a mantis and rut in a kestral flex.

I really like Tethrd as a company but I found the New Tribe Kestral Flex to be most comfortable for me on long sits.

I think I'm more comfortable in a saddle then my lone wolf assault. Alot of times in the past with a stand I skipped on the safety harness but with a saddle I always have safety.

It being lighter , quieter setup, easier to carry through brush then a stand.

If a super light stand ever exist I would try one though I don't see myself stopping using a saddle.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am

If your wanting to try a saddle make sure you try the biggest size you can get. By doing this it will cup under you better and will feel like sitting in a Hammock. Increasing comfort by alot.

Even though I'm a size 34 I prefer a XL saddle.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
kher

Unread postby kher » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:39 am

Klemz platform is in the saddle hunting vocabulary book
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”