Packing sticks w/ Saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Re: Packing sticks w/ Saddle

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:37 am

CritterGitter4 wrote:My question for you guys that are using a bit larger packs like the Eberlestock: how do you hang it in the tree? I had a pack of similar size last year, and I did feel like it made my physical presence a lot more in the tree. Do you guys feel this way too?

I have a gear hanger I made out of some left over Amsteel which is similar to a HYS strap. I clip it to the tail of it so that it is hanging about knee height, but kinda on the backside of the tree. Out of the way but I can still get to it.

cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:38 am

wdog wrote:For the guys using the eberlestock x2, how tall are you? I’m 6’2 and heard if you are tall it’s kind of uncomfortable.

I am right at 6'. It is comfortable for me.
CritterGitter4

Unread postby CritterGitter4 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:02 am

Dewey wrote:
CritterGitter4 wrote:My question for you guys that are using a bit larger packs like the Eberlestock: how do you hang it in the tree? I had a pack of similar size last year, and I did feel like it made my physical presence a lot more in the tree. Do you guys feel this way too?

Mine stays on the ground at the base of the tree. I have no reason to bring up with me.

Dewey, do you ever get concerned that because the pack is at the base of the tree, that deer could potentially wind the pack because it is not in the same air current as you are in a elevated position?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:43 am

CritterGitter4 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Mine stays on the ground at the base of the tree. I have no reason to bring up with me.

Dewey, do you ever get concerned that because the pack is at the base of the tree, that deer could potentially wind the pack because it is not in the same air current as you are in a elevated position?

Never seen that have any affect whatsoever. My ground scent when approaching the tree is already there so if a deer gets downwind it already smelled me well before getting near the pack. Actually many times in the past I have even had deer under the tree and sniffing a pack I left down there and never alerted. Obviously if it was a deer I wanted to kill it would have likely been dead well before it got that close.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:32 am

austin1990 wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:This is how I pack mine in. I bought this last year and use it. The pack has a couple pockets and is good for a water bottle, and whatever else I may need. Everything else goes in pouches on the saddle and I wear the saddle in.20200524_142011.jpg20200609_212818.jpg20200609_212805.jpg

Where did you get that pack/ sling? I do the same thing with a rope that is looped at both ends and I like to pack them that way but it gets uncomfortable after a while. This looks like it would work better.

What actually holds the sticks to the pack? Is there a strap that goes around the bottom of the sticks , or is that buckle just for the front pocket?

That buckle and flap holds them, when I get home I'll get some pics

Ok thanks, I think I understand how it works.
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I’m new to saddle hunting this year. Went and bought a Tethrd Phantom and Predator Platform. I was gifted this backpack last Christmas and it turns out it will work perfect for my setup. I don’t know what model it is but it is Horn Hunter Brand. Has a massive middle pocket that I will put platform and saddle in. On both sides, it has 2 horizontal cinch straps that hold sticks perfectly. Something I really like about it is it’s waist straps are super limp and fold easily, making it hang nice and close to the tree.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting guys been busy couple days, but I got put and made a quick video this evening showing both wild edge steps and sticks on that pack. Be warned I'm not good at videos and probably wasnt thorough enough :lol: also just noticed I still had the tag on that bag, really surprised it hasn't fell off

https://youtu.be/LezXkLQnB94
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 am

I have a few different packing options. Conditions dictate what I grab. In Mobile Hunting Gear fashion all are single trip climbing compatible, ground prep free (no fiddle factor), & vertical low profile packing. All setups are on your back pull as you climb. I can’t do the sticks swinging off my hips!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:01 am

austin1990 wrote:Sorry for the delay in posting guys been busy couple days, but I got put and made a quick video this evening showing both wild edge steps and sticks on that pack. Be warned I'm not good at videos and probably wasnt thorough enough :lol: also just noticed I still had the tag on that bag, really surprised it hasn't fell off

https://youtu.be/LezXkLQnB94

Thanks, that answered my questions.
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 am

Unread postby CritterGitter4 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 am

My question for you guys that are using a bit larger packs like the Eberlestock: how do you hang it in the tree? I had a pack of similar size last year, and I did feel like it made my physical presence a lot more in the tree. Do you guys feel this way too?

Last year was my first year with a saddle and I used a backpack I had that had a pouch and straps for carrying a rifle/bow. I used that to secure my LW sticks to the pack (4 of them, full length). It worked ok, but there were several things I didn't like about it. 1. See above. I definitely didn't like having a larger pack hanging in the tree with me. 2. There was a fair amount of fidgeting on the ground taking the sticks off the pack. 3. The sticks would move around a bit while walking in. 4. The pack straps and waist belt weren't the greatest and it got uncomfortable on longer/strenuous hikes (either distance or uphill in hill country). 4. I had to hook my platform on my saddle during the climb. I didn't have a real good way to do this, the platform swung around a bit and I didn't like the weight on the saddle.

I'll be trying something different this year. I made a pack frame out of PVC pipe and installed spring clips I got at the hardware store to hold the sticks to the frame. I also bought an Alps Outdoorz Willow Creek pack for the platform and other small items I need to hunt. Lastly, I put on a set of molle straps and waist belt for load comfort.

The plan is when I get to the tree, I drop the pack, put the Alps back on my back, hang first stick, lean 2nd stick against the tree, attach remaining sticks I need to my Alps pack (hanging them on it), attach line man's rope and start climbing, get up to height, reach over shoulder for platform and install it, get set up in the saddle, shoot giant buck.
Bowjitsu

Unread postby Bowjitsu » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:49 am

10 wild edge steps. Packs in bag they came in down to size of "loaf of bread". Quick and quiet. Use 2+ steps at top for platform. Use a single step loop aider. This system gets me 40 feet in a tree no problem (got a 56' pull up rope). Takes some practice to get the tensioning right though on the steps.

Packing wise I'll usually throw the "loaf of bread" in the main compartment of my pack for the entry. At the tree I pull the loaf out and use the given straps on the bag that came with my steps. Duffel style off my left side. Often carry duffel style on the exit. Rather pack gear in the truck than the woods :L:
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 am

Question about the X2. Is it still possible to pack a deer out, with your sticks and platform attached? It looks like it might be possible, but things would be getting a little tight.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:30 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:Question about the X2. Is it still possible to pack a deer out, with your sticks and platform attached? It looks like it might be possible, but things would be getting a little tight.

You could in the main compartment but doubt I would ever do that. I would take my gear back to the truck and grab my dedicated pack frame for that instead.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am

Man, going through this thread and I think there is definitely a need for something that isnt on the market to transport a platform and sticks without needing a backpack.

My frame pack is an exo k2, weighs less than 5lbs, packs down to nothing and can haul more weight than I'll ever be strong enough to carry at once.

20200623_161120.jpg

But sometimes I dont want to carry a backpack. I just want my sticks, platform and my bow, maybe some odds and ends in a cargo pocket or a small fanny pack. There has to be a good way to carry platform and sticks, and just the platform and sticks, without having them in your hands or without them catching everything you walk past. Maybe some kind of bino harness style strap that had them ride on your back?

20200623_161653.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:10 am

Bump

My zipper blew out on my old cheap pack so I'm shopping around. Does anyone have any experience with this Alps Outdoorz pack? Looks like you could use the straps on back to attach your sticks and platform. $80
Screenshot_20230227-214543_Chrome.jpg

I was leaning toward an Eberlestock x2 and I'm sure it's great but I just can't get myself to spend $250 on a back pack. I don't need anything crazy hunting small tracks here in SE Michigan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”