Packing sticks w/ Saddle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Voz

Packing sticks w/ Saddle

Unread postby Voz » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 pm

For the saddle hunters on the site, how are you packing your sticks in? Backpack? Bungee them to a backpack? Carry them? Real curious to see everybody’s system!

Thanks

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Packing sticks w/ Saddle

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Subscribed. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:55 pm

I use my Eberlestock X2 pack. Main compartment holds my saddle, ropes, knee pads and extra clothes if needed. My Predator platform is strapped on the outside and my sticks are strapped into the side wings. With this pack everything carries very well. Easily my favorite pack that I own.

Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Same. I'm going into my first season with the saddle and trying to figure out the same thing. Backpack is the easy solution, that's how I ran my beast sticks last year using my full body harness as a saddle but in the early season I dont want to have a full backpack with me. This spring I played with a single strap hooked to each end of my stack of sticks kinda like a purse strap. That actually wasnt bad, actually almost comfortable when I had them tight against my back.

But.

I'm coming from using stick talons and really liked going up the tree in one trip. Neither the backpack or the purse strap solves that.
Browndawg80

Unread postby Browndawg80 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm

I roll with the Cabelas all day transporter pack. It’s designed to carry a bow or rifle vertically on your back but I attach my 4 sticks there instead and carry my bow in. The large zippered pouch and pockets are big enough to hold my platform and anything I need for the hunt. Just started using it last year but I would give it 5 stars. It has allowed me to switch to a completely mobile system. Usually just wear my saddle in.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm

I have the same pack as Dewey which I used last year and will use again this season once it gets cold and I am doing some all day sits.

Here is my new early season setup for this year.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54807&p=836087&hilit=saddle#p836087
Vtbowhunter3

Unread postby Vtbowhunter3 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Badlands superday pack for me. Platform inside and sticks strapped to the back.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Trout wrote:Same. I'm going into my first season with the saddle and trying to figure out the same thing. Backpack is the easy solution, that's how I ran my beast sticks last year using my full body harness as a saddle but in the early season I dont want to have a full backpack with me. This spring I played with a single strap hooked to each end of my stack of sticks kinda like a purse strap. That actually wasnt bad, actually almost comfortable when I had them tight against my back.

But.

I'm coming from using stick talons and really liked going up the tree in one trip. Neither the backpack or the purse strap solves that.

Super day pack for me. Deweys set up is better imo. I’d like not to have to put the platform inside the actual pack. The sticks fit nicely on the outside of the pack.
I go up in one trip. I have two of those nighteyes things that I use to attach the sticks to my saddle. They allow me put my third and fourth stick (if needed) up hands free. I usually sling the platform over my shoulder and have my pack and bow on the pull up line.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Dewey wrote:I use my Eberlestock X2 pack. Main compartment holds my saddle, ropes, knee pads and extra clothes if needed. My Predator platform is strapped on the outside and my sticks are strapped into the side wings. With this pack everything carries very well. Easily my favorite pack that I own.

I use the same pack, and love it.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:01 pm

That's a great looking setup, Dewey. I have been thinking about getting the same pack.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Eberlestock F1 mainframe for me. Either use 2 batwings with a zip in panel for early season. Then late season when I have to carry more got the transformer pack that zips on. Pretty versatile system. Then I can also pack out deer instead of dragging when I am way back in. Then I am running these on my beast sticks for going up the tree.

https://genesis3dprinting.com/products/ ... tow-system
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm

This is how I pack mine in. I bought this last year and use it. The pack has a couple pockets and is good for a water bottle, and whatever else I may need. Everything else goes in pouches on the saddle and I wear the saddle in.
20200524_142011.jpg
20200609_212818.jpg
20200609_212805.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Here is another one from our very own Mark Dohring.

Since seeing this video last year I started packing my sticks the same way. I actually forgot I changed that till I saw this again. Much more streamlined going thru thick brush.

https://youtu.be/9HYuX7PMZNQ
Rsnyder
Facebook: na

Unread postby Rsnyder » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:16 am

Badlands super day for me too. It’s what I was using already and I feel serves fine. Sticks come off and paracord loop onto saddle for the climb. Platform tucked in open pack I can chicken wing to hang it. Pull up bow

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”