Hard Lessons Learned

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cottonmouthcity
Facebook: James Hunt

Re: Hard Lessons Learned

Unread postby Cottonmouthcity » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:17 am

Last year I was playing hide and seek with this big 10 in a swamp. Had good sign where I setup but not red hot, figured its worth a sit anyways. Get setup and something told me to move just a little closer. I ignore my gut and 20 mins left in shooting time that sucker walked out to 35 yards with no clear shot. If I would have just moved to where my gut told me I would have had a shot. Always listen to your gut!!!!!!

Look sharp, act sharp, and be sharp, but don't be an idiot and cut yourself.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:31 am

Cottonmouthcity wrote:Last year I was playing hide and seek with this big 10 in a swamp. Had good sign where I setup but not red hot, figured its worth a sit anyways. Get setup and something told me to move just a little closer. I ignore my gut and 20 mins left in shooting time that sucker walked out to 35 yards with no clear shot. If I would have just moved to where my gut told me I would have had a shot. Always listen to your gut!!!!!!

That is a very good one!!
kher

Unread postby kher » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:34 am

Cottonmouthcity wrote:Last year I was playing hide and seek with this big 10 in a swamp. Had good sign where I setup but not red hot, figured its worth a sit anyways. Get setup and something told me to move just a little closer. I ignore my gut and 20 mins left in shooting time that sucker walked out to 35 yards with no clear shot. If I would have just moved to where my gut told me I would have had a shot. Always listen to your gut!!!!!!

I agree. This year for turkey hunting with a bow, I had a set up that was just a little to far for two toms to hang up on me. If I would've followed my gut instinct I would have had them come straight right to me. The game of Yards in hunting
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:29 am

My gut has saved me at times and has also left me looking like a idiot. It’s a tough call for me and I often make the wrong choice. I battle mind vs gut. I believe the mind is more based off “percentages” timing, trail pics, scouting etc... The gut is simply ingrained instincts. True story from 2 seasons ago! Was sitting a place I have hunted since I was a kid. My mind told me the time was right, I’m in the best tree on the entire place and it’s just a matter of patience. What happened? Within 2 hours of daylight I saw 3 good bucks cruise by across the valley. My gut told me to move! So I did, I know longer got set up over there when I saw a stunner following a doe directly under the tree I just left. Doah! Sometimes that gut feeling is just the night before’s meatloaf. At least that has been my personal experience.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

My second or third year muzzleloader hunting, I made a habit of storing my primer in the but of the gun and setting the but of the gun in the snow while getting ready to head to the stand. I never thought much of it until I had a nice little 8 pointer come in at 40 yards broadside. I Cocked the hammer, took aim and squeezed the trigger, CLICK! He raised his head and looked toward the base of my tree. I slowly cocked back again and squeezed the trigger, CLICK again! He took off. When I got home I tried the other primer that was in the but of my gun and it misfired as well. Then I tried a fresh new one Out of the box and it fired perfectly. I don’t know if it was just the moisture or if it was because the primers were wet and frozen and then unthawing in the truck but either way I learned a lesson. Keep your primers dry!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”