Buck exit trails?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

Buck exit trails?

Unread postby Quest1001 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:02 am

There is three clumps of red brush inside a cattail swamp I believe to be buck bedding. The brush is elevated 6 inches above the water level and the deer have been bedding in the center of the brush clumps.

There is a series of trails leading to and from this bedding to the nearby food source, but I could only cover one trail at a time.

Have you had this scenario before and how did you identify which might be the exit trail?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Buck exit trails?

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:01 am

Basic situation with what can be a complex answer.

Easy answer is any of the trails can be used for exit.

Sometimes you can see rubs entering one trail and exiting another(rare that things are this clear to see). But clusters of rubs generally Mark a staging area...something to think about...

Predominant wind direction or the wind for that particular day can play a part, but usually I find bucks use the trail that gives them the best advantage to scent check the area around them during evening thermals which are usually more consistent than wind directions, at least in the swamps I hunt.

Other than that it’s trial and error, observation or trail cameras to figure it out...

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 am

Thanks PK,

I’m still learning and trying to figure this game out.

I have seen him exit to the field on a nw wind at the base of a shallow ditch. So what you explained matches with what he did that day.

There is also a cluster of rubs on the south side edge of the brush, so maybe he stages there and then exits based on the wind direction.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:12 am

I’ve heard about putting in deterrence obstacles on a trail that you don’t want him to use. There might be an older thread on it already. It would certainly help your odds.

With it being the off season I’d think it would be a great time to do it, if you decide to try it.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:59 am

That’s interesting.

I’ll have to look over the area again to see if it’s a possibility. Thanks for the idea.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:29 am

Quest1001 wrote:Thanks PK,

I’m still learning and trying to figure this game out.

I have seen him exit to the field on a nw wind at the base of a shallow ditch. So what you explained matches with what he did that day.

There is also a cluster of rubs on the south side edge of the brush, so maybe he stages there and then exits based on the wind direction.

Low spots in fields are such a common spot for a buck to enter a field in evenings, it is as close to a sure thing as you will find in big buck behavior. Without knowing anything else about the area if I were to setup it would be where I could shoot to the base of the ditch without my scent being sucked down into it With the evening falling thermals. Not easy, but if you figure it out, many wise old bucks have fallen to this kind of setup.

See if the cluster of rubs is mostly pointing in one direction, that may be where he enters the bedding cover in the am. Or it may be where a buck crosses a doe trail or another buck trail perpendicular (search ‘parallel trails).

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 am

This helps paint a better picture for me and give me some things to think about. I will try do a set up this summer to see what the thermals do. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”