Numbers down?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Re: Numbers down?

Unread postby Moose » Mon May 18, 2020 1:28 am

People ive talked to in SE IA say its been a tough season. I personally cant say since this was my first year.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 am

Seeing birds driving around can be hit or miss. I put in "alot" of windshield time this spring. Some days I saw zero or very few turkeys. Other days I'd see them almost everywhere.

I didn't get out at all last year. But there are a few areas I drove around in alot 2 springs ago. That seemed totally devoid of birds, this year. Saw very few birds even on the private "wonderlands". That had huge flocks with a dozen or 2 mature Toms, in them!

Some of the new areas I drove around had a decent number of birds. Others not so much. But have no idea if the numbers are the same, less or more. But some really good looking habitat. Turkey wise. Had small numbers or zero turkeys.

I think wet springs have hurt some areas. But you can't rule out coon predation. They love eggs. And with low fur prices. Hardly anyone is "seriously" trapping them. The coon numbers have to be high. Been seeing way more roadkill coons this spring. Than I can ever remember!!! Even alot of big ones!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 am

Numbers here are stable, not at the levels of years ago but same as last few. Killed 3 nice ones so far here between NY & in Ct. & messed up another(got caught moving the gun) However, I havent seen any jakes so far, which is alarming. Birds are working to calls well so far. Have had a few days of no gobbles too.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon May 18, 2020 11:48 am

My sightings are down a little compared to the last 10 years, but still a lot of birds around. My public land hunt week one was tough, but it was still cold. Didn't have a good hunt. We had a saturday opener (it was traditionally Monday) and with the economy or work shut down seemed everyone was bike riding or walking their dogs on state land around here once the sun came up.

Still seeing some birds, been watching one down the road, hangs on private around mid day, but caught him and a hen on the right side of the road today. They restructured season and gave us early season tag holders an extended season June 1-7. Not certain if I want to hunt with hot temps and bugs but I have an unfilled tag and wouldn't mind smashing one. Hateful things.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 am

My numbers are down. Only had 2 gobblers to hunt. Just found a kill site from one of them this morning that got eaten by some kind of fanged predator. Gotta go to my guaranteed farm land spot tomorrow to find some birds.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 am

Nick grider wrote:My numbers are down. Only had 2 gobblers to hunt. Just found a kill site from one of them this morning that got eaten by some kind of fanged predator. Gotta go to my guaranteed farm land spot tomorrow to find some birds.

Whereabouts you located Nick?

I gotta say, toms on public are rarer than hens teeth. For me anyway. I can find the odd one here and there on private, but that don’t do me much good... :roll:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm

I’m in northern Michigan.
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm

I’m in northern Michigan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”