What if......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

What if......

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:41 am

A recent thread on trespassing got me thinking of how others would react in other situations. So what if while you were gonna go pull a SIM card u catch someone stealing your camera. What would u do? Would u sweet talk them and say pretty please don’t take my camera? Give him a year warning, put up some signs, Would u ignore it and go buy a new camera? Beat the brakes off the individual? Etc....

Personally for me it depends on the person. If it’s a giant of a man I would prob realize I didn’t like that camera anyways lol. Anyone else I would walk up and politely introduce myself, ask how there day is going. Then bam! when there least expecting it release the fists of fury and beat em to a bloody pulp.

Back in my youth the way guys handled trespassing and thieves were 12 gauge shotguns loaded with rock salt. There was no concern over dear god someone might get injured. More of a I hope the buzzard does.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: What if......

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 am

Is it legal to shoot someone outside on your private property for trespassing in Texas? I thought I heard it was.My state they have to be inside your house. Shoot or injure someone outside them it’s criminal charges. Carrying a cpl still wouldn’t justify legal use here if they are running away. I’d would probably try and get has much info has possible maybe some ID and turn it over to law enforcement
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 am

Pull out your phone, take a picture or video then send it to your local warden and let him sort it out.

Beating the crap out of the guy might feel good at the moment you catch him stealing your stuff but I promise being a tough guy will only help put you in jail where it may be useful because you then will have to defend your hind end daily. You might then rethink in the grand scheme of things how much that camera really meant to you. Was it really worth it? :think:
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am

As Whitey Bulger would say “if no one sees you beat someone down then it didn’t really happen”
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 am

Saved video with cool attitude an conversation goes a long way. Let him incriminate himself. Better be ready to ID to prove proof of owner ship of that trail camera.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 am

I’m not sure what the law is about shooting someone outside of your house. I don’t own a firearm for personal reasons. But there still is in Texas law that a guy can be hung for cutting a landowners fence. Don’t believe it’s been taken advantage of for the past 100 years though. Not saying my state is hows it’s done. We are the people putting feeding/watering stations for the trespassing/illegal immigrants cause some folks find in cruel.

My feelings aren’t nothing to do with being the tough guy. Truth be told I’ve got my tail whipped more than any man should. But they are gonna have to do it everyday cause what’s right is right. You ain’t getting my cornbread :lol:

To anyone thinking taking a pic and passing it on to the wardens is the way to go. Go try that with permanent stands where not allowed. Fact is nobody gives a hoot. Gets filled with same calls as old ladies cat stuck in tree. Same with u beating the be Jesus out of a guy, they don’t care. There’s not a convoy of cops coming to arrest you. What’s the guy gonna call and say? Hey officers while I was minding my own business jacking this guys stuff he caught me with a left hook?

Just my opinions of course and respect everyone else’s. But u come try that crap in my back 40 u ain’t getting the it’s ok let’s go out for ice cream.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 am

That’s why the rest of us don’t live in Texas. :lol:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 am

I understand your thoughts, believe me. But, my first reaction is not a good decision. Here it is a misdemeanor. You have to present evidence to attorney. If you can not get law enforcement to work with you. I guess if they didn't have a mask on they would work with you?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:59 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I understand your thoughts, believe me. But, my first reaction is not a good decision. Here it is a misdemeanor. You have to present evidence to attorney. If you can not get law enforcement to work with you. I guess if they didn't have a mask on they would work with you?

I hear ya, and respect everyone’s thoughts. But fact it’s a misdemeanor to go 7 miles over the speed limit in a school zone. Does anyone truly believe they send a search posse to capture such culprits?

Do You know who law/wardens will go out of there way for? Oil/ranch tycoons! Let them report a strange tree stand or poaching on there property and see what happens! Will call in the national guard with air support not wanting the chance of missing out on political dollars.

Most laws (as I said with contacting a defense attorney on another thread) come down to verbiage and half hearted sign placement. Look how many hunters have been shot while decked head to toe in orange. Has any rational hunter ever seen a orange deer? How come these yahoos didn’t get the death penalty? Verbiage that’s why. Use words like panicked, fear, overwhelmed. Not I thought, planned or orchestrated.

To each there own but to anyone who witnessed a cam being stollen and waved and said thank you sir I got your pic. Then turned it over to authorities let’s us know how that turned out please.
-John Wayne-
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:02 am

Sorry i'm not trying to hi jack this post. But I had a odd thing happen to me last season. I shot a deer opening day of gun. After the shot it ran about 60 yards or so. I tracked the deer and found it dead about 40 yards from a kid. I would say he was 14-16. I walked over and told him I was going to quietly walk back over to where I was hunting, it was early and something may still walk by him. I told him I would return in a hour or so and get the deer. I took a picture of the deer to send to my buddy. Then I walk back to where I was hunting. It was pretty thick and didnt even know he was there. It had been about an hour and I was getting ready to head over when I heard 3 shot bang bang bang as fast as you could shoot. It came from where the kid was. Hopeful he shot something, I wait about 5-10mins or so and walked that way. When I got there i found 2 guys in there low to mid 20's gutting the deer I killed. It was a very different experience, but I think I handled it well.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 09, 2020 10:16 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:I understand your thoughts, believe me. But, my first reaction is not a good decision. Here it is a misdemeanor. You have to present evidence to attorney. If you can not get law enforcement to work with you. I guess if they didn't have a mask on they would work with you?

I hear ya, and respect everyone’s thoughts. But fact it’s a misdemeanor to go 7 miles over the speed limit in a school zone. Does anyone truly believe they send a search posse to capture such culprits?

Do You know who law/wardens will go out of there way for? Oil/ranch tycoons! Let them report a strange tree stand or poaching on there property and see what happens! Will call in the national guard with air support not wanting the chance of missing out on political dollars.

Most laws (as I said with contacting a defense attorney on another thread) come down to verbiage and half hearted sign placement. Look how many hunters have been shot while decked head to toe in orange. Has any rational hunter ever seen a orange deer? How come these yahoos didn’t get the death penalty? Verbiage that’s why. Use words like panicked, fear, overwhelmed. Not I thought, planned or orchestrated.

To each there own but to anyone who witnessed a cam being stollen and waved and said thank you sir I got your pic. Then turned it over to authorities let’s us know how that turned out please.

Its obvious we are talking about two different worlds.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat May 09, 2020 10:19 am

Totally situational. I would definitely confront the individual with the full intent of getting my camera handed over to me without any problems. If it escalated to the point that a physical confrontation occurred I would not be the one to initiate it. Also depends on if it was on public or private land. If it's private now you have trespassing as well as theft so that changes things a lot in your favor.

Best case scenario you give the guy a tongue lashing or an whooping, you get your cam back and he learns a hard lesson and doesn't do that again. Worst case scenario you get arrested for felony assault (in my state it is) get sued, lose your right to carry a sidearm, other legal ramifications that stick with you for a long time, etc. Over a trail cam.

Life is full of choices, decisions like these are very individual and often depend on what you got to lose and what's at stake.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am

All very good answers. My opinions are just formed on my own life experiences. Let me give ya an example: a few months ago while my wife took my lil girl to gymnastics practice her window was busted out, laptop stollen, purse stollen, and a number of personal folders for various clients. Did the standard BS and called authorities and filed report. Was told I should try to see if I could get any security camera footage. Apparently I was the lead detective on the case. And guess what.... I got it, the entire scene as well as face pic and license plate. Was so excited to turn it over. Boy was I thrilled when I was told we will let ya know if anything turns up.

So do I think anyone is gonna do jack squat about a trail cam? No! Believe they can care less and have better stuff to do. For me taking a persons private property is a bad deal worthy of something more than a thumbs up. Guess I’m still bitter of my wife’s car :lol:
-John Wayne-
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat May 09, 2020 10:56 am

I think there are a lot of directions you can take this. I think I would tell my kids the smart thing to do is avoid conflict, try and get a description of the thief and their vehicle and call the sheriff. Even if you're carrying concealed, the other guy might be, too, and a trail camera isnt worth getting shot over.

All that said, if it were me, I would really have to bite down on my tongue hard not to tell the guy the camera he was stealing was mine, that it was private property, and that I worked hard to earn the money to purchase it. I wouldnt escalate to physical violence, but wouldnt hesitate to defend myself, but again, a trail camera just isnt worth it. You just never know what kind of personality you're dealing with.

I hang all of my cameras about 10' up in locations I pick more because they're not likely to be discovered by other people than that they are likely to get good pics of deer there. I've replaced the straps with paracord because it's less likely to catch your eye, and I write "Please dont steal, I worked hard for this," on every camera I own. Never had one stolen and I only hunt public land, mostly higher pressure. I say all that not to derail this thread into a how to hide your trail cameras, but to point out that the best way to prevent a thief from being a thief- and thus avoid conflict with them- is not let them know there is something worth stealing in the first place. Same goes for anything else of value in my life. Hide everything.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 09, 2020 10:58 am

Here in WI we are a little more careful about confronting someone after this happened.

https://www.thoughtco.com/six-killed-in ... ent-972787

You just never know when somebody may snap. We tend to now view things differently since that day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”