Hunting Arrows

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert

Hunting Arrows

Unread postby Robert » Tue May 05, 2020 4:04 pm

I am looking at getting new arrows, the arrows I use are no longer being made. Was wondering what everyone shoots and what you have had good and bad luck with? Thanks in advance!

Ghost Hunter

Re: Hunting Arrows

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue May 05, 2020 11:36 pm

Go to a local shop. Well, if any are open? There are lots of good arrows out there now. See what fits your draw length and poundage. Bunch of choices.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 am

What were you using? I'm in the same boat but still have enough for this year, I'm starting to think about what to get next tho
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed May 06, 2020 1:00 am

Something heavy
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed May 06, 2020 2:15 am

Scheels Vendetta Pro, made by Victory Archery. If you wait for a sale, you can get them for $35 for 6. If you spend a certain amount you can also get free shipping. I was turned onto them after watching this video and so far I have been impressed with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBmxXSCK4I&t=4s
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed May 06, 2020 2:26 am

Also this video which the same guy did for some other inexpensive arrow is interesting. It is important that one thing he is not testing, which is durability, yet I think that his results are worth looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3azyjzkd4&t=499s
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 am

I’m shooting the Black Eagle Deep Impact shafts. They are heavy and hit hard. You can buy them by the single arrow (or any for that matter) from Lancaster Archery. I bought a number of single shafts of various brands and tested them to find the hardest hitting shaft I could. This one won my tests. They also send them with the hardware you need as well as cut them to length.

Bio1
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:16 am

Gold tip air strikes 300 with 150gr insert. Is this years arrow I’m using. I have had luck with Easton axis and the cheap speed freak arrows from Walmart, but wouldn’t recommend them. I had some poor penetration with them. Don’t get me wrong you hit them in the right spot every arrow could get the job done. I miss too much so I’m going with something with some weight this year.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am

jmaas07 wrote:What were you using? I'm in the same boat but still have enough for this year, I'm starting to think about what to get next tho

I am shooting carbon express 250 maxima blue streak, this discontinued them about 6-8 years ago, at that time I bought another dozen, I'm getting down there on arrows and was wondering what guys are using.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am

The arrow is only as good as the time you spend tuning them and the quality of the components you put in them. As far as out of the box quality(shaft, nock, and insert) IMO Black Eagle is probably the best if you include affordability.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am

Tribute80 wrote:Gold tip air strikes 300 with 150gr insert. Is this years arrow I’m using. I have had luck with Easton axis and the cheap speed freak arrows from Walmart, but wouldn’t recommend them. I had some poor penetration with them. Don’t get me wrong you hit them in the right spot every arrow could get the job done. I miss too much so I’m going with something with some weight this year.

So I called 3 different bow shops, I can't go because they're all closed because covid, I gave all 3 my draw length and draw weight. 2 of them recommended the Easton axis 5mm. The other recommended to stay with some sort of carbon express. I shoot 62 pounds at a 29 inch draw.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Victory makes nice stuff and they have a great spine calculator where you can put in the weight of all your components and it tells you the recommended spine. You can tweak until your heart is content with things like insert weight, head weight, etc.

Just go their website and pick any arrow except the top one for some reason. You'll see the link for the spine calculator on the arrows info page.

I think it's a good place to start, even if you go with another brand.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm

The past few years I have used Easton Axis 5mm and had good luck with them. This year I am going to try Rampages. Messing around with higher FOC arrows.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed May 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Gold tip kenetic pierce platinum. Best one I've found.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Robert wrote:
So I called 3 different bow shops, I can't go because they're all closed because covid, I gave all 3 my draw length and draw weight. 2 of them recommended the Easton axis 5mm. The other recommended to stay with some sort of carbon express. I shoot 62 pounds at a 29 inch draw.

I like the axis. They were durable and shot good. I like the smaller diameter and the HIT insert. You won’t be disappointed with them. I just went to a stiffer lighter shaft to get better FOC. Also I wanted add weight to the tip but not get too heavy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”