How much is too much???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: How much is too much???

Unread postby briar » Sat May 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Easy question to answer. The moment you answer no to do the ends justify the means, it's too much.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 03, 2020 2:26 am

briar wrote:Easy question to answer. The moment you answer no to do the ends justify the means, it's too much.

This is it. Almost like the law of diminishing returns. I had so many areas I wanted to cover last season that I had scouted out. All of them held target animals. On paper it seemed possible but once season opened it was almost impossible. At least with my schedule. I’m condensing down this year
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:36 am

Is too much too much?

This site simply shows you the how to. The coulds and shoulds about how you manage your time with your wife and children is all a personal preference. The desire comes from within, to make it happen every year no matter what challenges you may face. The way you spend your time in life is however you see fit. Some men are more willing to risk more than others.

I’ve neglected my family at times and had some of my most productive days in the woods. When you kill a deer it makes for a better memory and a much better story. If it works and you bring home the bacon on a day you should be spending with the family you get to save some face. If you fail in those moments you should be helping around the house, it makes the guilt sting deeper.

Our family eats venison at least once a week year round, so I have a pretty fair out and my wife knows it’s my only addiction so she tolerates it. Godspeed and Good luck!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am

My goal is to get like MoonDude and go 2:2 on sits to killed target bucks.
If I remember right, he quit bowhunting because he lost interest and now just “hunts” with trail cameras.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon May 04, 2020 10:49 am

john1984 wrote:How much effort should a average blue collar God fearing man put into killing a mature buck on public ground???

How much is too much???

Not the most experienced here but wanted to throw you some food for thought.

2020:
Jan1-April 1 - post season scouting at least 1 day a weekend post season scouting and several after work.

April1-May5 - bow hunted hogs on public/scouted 3 days a week after work and Saturday. massively
enlarged my area of ops and knowledge on public. Got 30 or less yards to several deer just to play and learn.

May-sept 1 - glass the areas I scouted and want to operate in on the reg. Few summer scouting trips but I hate the heat.

Sept 1-14 - every waking hour in field glassing and patterning.

Sept 15-22 - vacation to bow hunt/ rock n roll man

All my vacation will be used to hunt, all I do is hunting related activities. If my family is fishing, its next to public and I'm scouting. My wife knows if its hunting season im gone after work and the weekends. The only thing I'm concentrated on is bow hunting. If I could quit my job and just hunt everyday of season I would.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:
briar wrote:Easy question to answer. The moment you answer no to do the ends justify the means, it's too much.

This is it. Almost like the law of diminishing returns. I had so many areas I wanted to cover last season that I had scouted out. All of them held target animals. On paper it seemed possible but once season opened it was almost impossible. At least with my schedule. I’m condensing down this year

I know the feeling. I've found the hardest part is condensing it down and determining the highest odds spots.with all the scouting I've done and properties I hunt for the most part most of my hunting grounds are condensed into about a 10 mile area give or take. I've learned to speed scout, where to set up cameras between bedding areas to monitor bucks and from past experience when to be in certain spots or areas. Just curious what methods you use to condense properties?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Is too much too much?

This site simply shows you the how to. The coulds and shoulds about how you manage your time with your wife and children is all a personal preference. The desire comes from within, to make it happen every year no matter what challenges you may face. The way you spend your time in life is however you see fit. Some men are more willing to risk more than others.

I’ve neglected my family at times and had some of my most productive days in the woods. When you kill a deer it makes for a better memory and a much better story. If it works and you bring home the bacon on a day you should be spending with the family you get to save some face. If you fail in those moments you should be helping around the house, it makes the guilt sting deeper.

Our family eats venison at least once a week year round, so I have a pretty fair out and my wife knows it’s my only addiction so she tolerates it. Godspeed and Good luck!

Well said, couldnt agree more. With that said get out there and scout!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 04, 2020 12:31 pm

may21581 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

I know the feeling. I've found the hardest part is condensing it down and determining the highest odds spots.with all the scouting I've done and properties I hunt for the most part most of my hunting grounds are condensed into about a 10 mile area give or take. I've learned to speed scout, where to set up cameras between bedding areas to monitor bucks and from past experience when to be in certain spots or areas. Just curious what methods you use to condense properties?

A 10 mile area is really condensed. I wish mine was that small. I’m trying to keep them all on the same travel line from my house. Right now I’m at a 2 hr drive tops spread over about 4 counties.There’s some good property the opposite way just seems like a pain to get to and the habitat is different.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
may21581 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

A 10 mile area is really condensed. I wish mine was that small. I’m trying to keep them all on the same travel line from my house. Right now I’m at a 2 hr drive tops spread over about 4 counties.There’s some good property the opposite way just seems like a pain to get to and the habitat is different.

I've been venturing out. With work schedules and so forth I'm about 45 minutes to an hour. The issue I have is I'm on the border of three states. And the state I'm in has the best potential. I've hit public grounds with that radius and still looking. As of now the area I've been focusing on has the best bucks and is closer to home. Been knocking on doors with not much success. How do you condense your properties and what habitat do you prefer?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 pm

may21581 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
may21581 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

I've been venturing out. With work schedules and so forth I'm about 45 minutes to an hour. The issue I have is I'm on the border of three states. And the state I'm in has the best potential. I've hit public grounds with that radius and still looking. As of now the area I've been focusing on has the best bucks and is closer to home. Been knocking on doors with not much success. How do you condense your properties and what habitat do you prefer?

I’ve got it condensed around where my private property is located and it has the habitat I like to hunt. A mix of Cattail, dogwood, and tamarack swamps bordered by autumn olive thickets, wild apple, and oaks on the high ground. Some agricultural fields in the area that deer travel to at night.I also like old field habitat and crp. It’s a good area of the state for rack size
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue May 05, 2020 12:34 am

I think last year I sat 90ish times in 120 days.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 am

I think last year I sat 90ish times in 120 days. (Probably should say hunted or scouted, but all days in the woods chasing deer).
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 am

I’d say if I’m not having fun it’s become too much for me. Lots of other things going on in life too. Find out what works for you and worry less about the little stuff. Stepping back and letting the batteries recharge is needed in all things in my life from time to time.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 am

As much as you possibly can. Also depends on your goal. Killing mature, giant bucks on public land is most definitely possible, but it comes back to how much you put into it. Same goes for most private as well.

Don’t let anyone tell you that it can’t be done. And if they do, let that fuel your fire!
How bad do you want it?
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:43 pm

As much time as you can until it stops being fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”