How much is too much???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: How much is too much???

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:16 am

Josh_S wrote:Whatever makes you happy. If you put so much pressure on yourself its not fun anymore or its negatively impacting your personal life, then maybe its time to take a step back. I know there have been times I felt burned out and just needed to take a break for a day.

I agree with Josh. Whatever makes you happy. Don't try to relate to/idolize someone else you might see on here having success. Find your own way and just be happy.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
bowonly68

Unread postby bowonly68 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 am

With the limited amount of time I am able to scout and hunt, I'm lucky to kill a mature buck on public once every 10yrs. My last one was in 2017. With a demanding work schedule it's really tough to make it happen on a regular basis. Come on retirement!
"Iron sharpens iron as one man sharpens another"(Proverbs 27:17)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:35 am

If you are new to this I don't know there is a too much, just not enough to mess up the other parts of your life. With that said once the years pass and the experience kicks in you should have plenty of intel and spots to hunt and know how to hunt them. Doesn't mean you get it done every season but at least you are in the game.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 am

No right answer, we're all different. If you grow to hate it or the rest of your life is sufferring, probably too much imo. If you enjoy it and the rest of your life is in order the way you want it to be, push that limit if you choose.

Honestly, I think most places, getting an opportunity at mature/shooter buck in 50-60 sits shouldn't be that hard. If it took me that many sits on average, I'd probably get pretty down on myself and contemplate a new hobby. Even Dan last year passed some bucks and missed a few, so his opportunities were there, that happens. I know that's why a lot of guys raise their standards, but if 50-60 sits doesn't get you on the buck you want, I'd have to wonder if he's in the area you're hunting.

I don't have 50-60 hunts a year in me based on other commitments. I'm cool with that. Give it what I have when I have it. My standards tend to reflect what my available time is.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm

I hunt a lot cause I simply luv to hunt. It’s the total experience I enjoy. The highs, lows, close calls, and maybes. Sounds crazy but I just won’t shoot a buck right out the gate cause I feel I cheated myself out of the fun. Many times this has came back to bite me and I’m ok with that. The very worst feeling for me is sitting on the sidelines in November cause I don’t have a buck tag.

I would say when u get to the point where your not excited to get up and go deer hunting it’s prob to much. If it feels like a job where your punching a clock it’s to much. Often times a break will get ya back in the groove and your enthusiasm flowing.

Also think it depends on the individual and why they want a big buck in the first place.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Sadams719

Unread postby Sadams719 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm

tgreeno wrote:When you are no longer having fun! Everyone has a difference tolerance level. Only you can answer that question for you.

Personally, I really enjoy being out in the woods. So, I get out as much as I can between work & family. I've never ever felt I was over prepared going into a season 8-)

I agree with tgreeno. If it feels more like work or is making trouble in your home life (that’s like extra work too) then it’s become too much
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 pm

I honestly think there isn't a right or wrong answer. It depends on the individual. Are you single?kids?self employed?what hours do you work? Vacation time? Household chores? Church? Not everyone has the same type of lifestyle so it will vary greatly from person to person. Its a good probleam to have vs drugs and alcohol problems. Until someone tells you to slow down then keep after it!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 am

When your enjoyment turns into work or job. You need a break.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:46 pm

When it stops being fun. I think even if I had a flexible job and was single, I’d never sit close to 60 times in a season unless I was after a true giant. I shot my best buck ever this year in the middle of the rut, and was just so content that I hardly the rest of the season. It was fun enjoying the accomplishment. I don’t consider hunting a grind, it’s meant to be enjoyable and a stress reliever for me, so when it starts feeling grindy, I back off for a while.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
deer365

Unread postby deer365 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:05 am

Like many others have stated everyone's answer will vary based on the individual. Other than my wife and kids deer hunting is my top priority. It's a 365 day a year addiction for me. I do something to prepare myself every day. I'm not ever going to be rich, I gave up on that a long time ago. My life goals are simple, take care of my family, be the best father and husband I can be and be the best deer Hunter I can be. But my wife and kids will always have to be first. I'm not saying I always do the best job of this because I know I don't. I've spent a lot of nights in November sleeping on the couch because my wife was pissed I was going hunting again the next morning and she didn't even want to be in the same room with me. I feel everyone's home life is different and you can still be die hard and have your priorities in line. I'm fortunate to have a job that allows me time off to be in the woods. I get 6 tags a year, 2 of which are buck tags, I put in 40-50 sits a year to try and fill them. Once, I get around 50 sits in I start getting tired and burnt out. Then, I'll take a step back and get caught up on chores at home and family time. Within 3 weeks I'm chomping at the bit to get back in the woods, I'm burning boot leather up scouting for next year. I try to be as helpful as I can around the house and with the kids once I hang it up for the year and my wife remembers that and cuts me some slack during deer season lol. She knew I was are up with it when she met me and I'm glad she lets me pursue my passion. Everyone needs something they are passionate about other than work and home, it's good for the soul. Just don't lose sight of the people that make you who you are.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:37 am

Honestly I hunt usually 3-4 sits per week. With a couple solid weeks thrown in per season. I’m always wishing I could do more. I’ve had crappy jobs I hate and usually stick around in large part due to flexibility and being able to hunt a lot. I doubled my income once and was managing a CNC department at a job shop. I had to move to the city for the gig. I was on top of the world. Then fall came around, we were busy, guys were off, people are calling wondering where there stuff is. I was working 60+ hrs every week because I signed up for the responsibilities and I was doing everything I could to make deadlines, I got right in the trenches with my guys. Long story long I didn’t hunt, I got burned out and soured on civilization after a few yrs. Moved 6 hrs away to the UP and cut my wage in half. People said I was insane. My Main reason was hunting, I can get a lot of time off albeit unpaid. The job stinks but I stay because of that.

My plan to be able to hunt here all the time changed when we had a baby though..
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:41 am

Hunting doesn’t pay my bills, so it’s priority isn’t a precedence to me.

My goal is 1 hunt to 1 opportunity. I’ll scout and run cameras as need-be to make that 1:1 goal happen. My years of hunting 50-60x per season are long gone sadly. It’s all about efficiency and enjoying the woods when I’m able to break free.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat May 02, 2020 5:15 am

One more thing I'd offer to any younger guys on here is make the time now to build a great experience base and not have regrets later. If you're in your teens or twenties with no house, lower job responsibility, no kids, etc. GET AFTER IT. It changes for most of us and either we have to dial back or live with constant conflict of our time. Not only will that time spent in the woods when you're young make you more efficient later, but staring at a nice full wall while you wrassle your toddler makes you miss the woods a little less I'd imagine.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat May 02, 2020 8:37 am

This is a question that can be answered in so many ways. There are hunters who are just lucky and there are hunters who have skill. Which one would you want to be?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:02 am

Crazinamatese wrote:This is a question that can be answered in so many ways. There are hunters who are just lucky and there are hunters who have skill. Which one would you want to be?

Both :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”