Live from the field 2020

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 pm

muddy wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Good luck muddy. Sill hunting with the kids or for yourself?

Kids only. I wasnt able to get any cams out this spring so each hunt has been a dart throw. With me home schooling it has severely limited my personal time. When we get to our 4th season I may have to take a few hours here or there for myself.

8-)

School better start up this fall :lol: :lol:

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
muddy wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Good luck muddy. Sill hunting with the kids or for yourself?

Kids only. I wasnt able to get any cams out this spring so each hunt has been a dart throw. With me home schooling it has severely limited my personal time. When we get to our 4th season I may have to take a few hours here or there for myself.

8-)

School better start up this fall :lol: :lol:

Dont think that thought hsnt crossed my mind!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Home school break this morning... unfortunately the birds were roosted in a way different locale than usual. Opted to set up in a later morning strut and feeding area and wait them out a bit. I think these birds are getting more other hunter pressure this year than years past. Might have to resort to ghillie suit ambushes before long.

20200427_064731.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:32 am

shot a gobbler opening more here in Ontario..now im pulling a "muddy" and trying to get my daughter Olivia on a bird..had a hen stroll thru the dekes and a coyote come by just out of range..no gobbler yet but the time with my 7 year old in the blind has been priceless
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:28 am

Man...

20200427_082646.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 am

I roosted some birds last night and decided to bring my 9 year old daughter along this morning.
It rained this morning and the birds weren’t vocal. Between being wet and the birds being quiet she had enough by 7:00 am.
I decided to call the hunt instead of making her miserable.
I guess I shouldn’t have even tried it on a rainy day.

But as it turns out she is quite the mushroom hunter. We found 63 grey morels and she is still talking about how much fun she had.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am

Good luck fellas!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am

Jdw wrote:I roosted some birds last night and decided to bring my 9 year old daughter along this morning.
It rained this morning and the birds weren’t vocal. Between being wet and the birds being quiet she had enough by 7:00 am.
I decided to call the hunt instead of making her miserable.
I guess I shouldn’t have even tried it on a rainy day.

But as it turns out she is quite the mushroom hunter. We found 63 grey morels and she is still talking about how much fun she had.

If it ain't rainin' you ain't trainin'!!!

Sounds pretty good for a 9 year old any way!!! 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Nasty day out here with the wind and rain... had 2 come in from behind and catch me move.
20200429_175139.jpg
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri May 01, 2020 4:11 am

Been hunting everyday since 2nd season opened last week mostly just a few hours before work. Few close calls and was into birds everyday but unfortunately didnt fill my 2nd season tag.

This morning had 2 hens fly down right into my face off the roost quickly followed by a gobbler. Killed him and now have 5 days off till 4th season opens for my next tag.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 01, 2020 4:29 am

Jmitch wrote:Been hunting everyday since 2nd season opened last week mostly just a few hours before work. Few close calls and was into birds everyday but unfortunately didnt fill my 2nd season tag.

This morning had 2 hens fly down right into my face off the roost quickly followed by a gobbler. Killed him and now have 5 days off till 4th season opens for my next tag.

Congrats!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sat May 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Went to a property I wasn’t sure what the regulations were due to homes in the area. So I checked POI after swapping from a 125grn slick trick to a 100grn swhacker at 4:00am with the help of my headlights(haven’t shot since December). Turns out I just needed to be 100 yards from the homes, but I decided to leave the gun in the car. Got out to the field where there was probably 20 deer in it and when I went to check property lines I couldn’t find my phone. Ran back to the car and still couldn’t find it. It was in the one pocket I didn’t check in my bag that I left in the field. The fog cleared as I got back to my things and I thought I saw a bird running away over the property line. Only heard a few gobbles but a hen pulled two nice Toms perpendicular to me but 150 yards away. A loner came within 60-70, but wouldn’t commit to the decoys. The hen lead the Toms to a water hole and then brought them by again but way out of range. Once she passed by two deer in the field she started running and the gobblers were in hot pursuit. I called it a morning at 9:00, but I’ll be back with the 870 tomorrow and on the other side of the field.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat May 02, 2020 2:21 pm

Autiger wrote:Went to a property I wasn’t sure what the regulations were due to homes in the area. So I checked POI after swapping from a 125grn slick trick to a 100grn swhacker at 4:00am with the help of my headlights(haven’t shot since December). Turns out I just needed to be 100 yards from the homes, but I decided to leave the gun in the car. Got out to the field where there was probably 20 deer in it and when I went to check property lines I couldn’t find my phone. Ran back to the car and still couldn’t find it. It was in the one pocket I didn’t check in my bag that I left in the field. The fog cleared as I got back to my things and I thought I saw a bird running away over the property line. Only heard a few gobbles but a hen pulled two nice Toms perpendicular to me but 150 yards away. A loner came within 60-70, but wouldn’t commit to the decoys. The hen lead the Toms to a water hole and then brought them by again but way out of range. Once she passed by two deer in the field she started running and the gobblers were in hot pursuit. I called it a morning at 9:00, but I’ll be back with the 870 tomorrow and on the other side of the field.

Sounds like a fun hunt. Good luck tomorrow.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat May 02, 2020 2:49 pm

I got home from work a little early today and went mushroom and turkey hunting around My house.
My 9 year old daughter went with me again.
She found one morel when we started but after an hour without finding anything else she was ready to head home.
I walked her within sight of the house and watched her walk the rest of the way home.

I spent the next 30 minutes softly calling while I was looking for mushrooms. Then I heard a few yelps in the hollow below me.
I answered the hen a few times and a Tom answered my calls.
After the Tom gobbled a few times the hen got riled up and started cutting and yelping hard and came looking to fight with me. She brought the Tom with her and when she was inside 10 yds the Tom came into an opening at 20 yards.

It worked out perfectly until I didn’t get settled down on the gun property and fired a warning shot. The 2 follow up shots were more poorly placed than the first and the Tom made it behind a big white oak tree.
I stood up to try to assess how I made such a mess out of a slam dunk opportunity and the Tom stepped out from behind the tree.
Except for today I always have at least one extra shell in my pocket but since I didn’t bring my vest on the “mushroom” hunt I watched him stand there for a few seconds and then putt and walk away.

On the downside my pride took a hit but on the bright side he will still be gobbling and strutting in that hollow and there is a good chance I can go toe to toe with him again.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 03, 2020 1:35 am

The morning dog walk... :roll: :roll: :roll:

20200502_080630.jpg
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”