Hang and hunt with kids question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

silentoutdoors

Hang and hunt with kids question

Unread postby silentoutdoors » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:13 am

Does anyone have any suggestion on doing hang and hunts with kids. Last year I tried letting my son carry 1 stand and me everything else. I took a safety line and pulled his stand up and then dropped the end back down for him to tie it around the bottom of the tree and then hook his safety harness into the prusik and climb up. If you have any tips please let me know.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Hang and hunt with kids question

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:30 am

When I did this with my daughter in the past I would have her carry my assault and a couple of sticks. I would carry my alpha and 4 or 5 sticks. I always set a lifeline for her stand because she had very little experience climbing a tree.

When we first started we would often hunt out of the same tree and as she grew older we switched to hunting close to each other covering different trails on the same bedding area. It's a lot of work setting two stands and sticks so give yourself some extra time....it's fun when it all works out.
silentoutdoors

Unread postby silentoutdoors » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:38 am

Yes I’m using the lifeline for son to attach to when he climbs up. I also noticed findOmg a tree for 2 hang on stand in the same tree is little more challenging to get both them at same level. Yes I’ve been having to add time since setup takes longer and son does not walk as fast as me :). I’ve only done this setup a couple of times in the afternoons.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:50 am

It limits your tree selection for sure. I always hung my stand above my daughters. Her stand around 12 to 15 feet and mine above that and offset, but it depends on the tree
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:52 am

I use a saddle when I take them. I’ve got back pack straps on the saddle platform and it doesn’t weigh much so I let them carry that. I carry an assault and full length Lone Wolf sticks. I keep the sticks pretty close together so they’re easy for the kids to climb. I go up the tree and hang the sticks and stands. I hang a lifeline while I’m up there that hangs all the way to the ground. I tie their harness off to it and follow them up the tree adjusting the prusik for them as we go so they don’t have to fool with it.

I set them facing the way I’m expecting the deer to come from. Let’s call that 12 o’clock. I set my platform at about 8 o’clock. That way while we are sitting I can easily lean over and be right beside them. The main thing is to remember that your kid won’t be able to sit as still or quiet as you and that’s ok. I make sure to take plenty of snacks and water for them. My son and daughter can usually make it 2-3 hours in the tree without getting too antsy.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 am

I’m thinking about taking my 5 year old this fall. I’m not sure how she’ll handle boredom on stand. I’ve had her in a box blind for one hunt the last two years in a row, and being enclosed was a necessity noise and movement wise ;) we’ll see what kind of difference a year makes. She swears up and down she can sit quiet and still.

Anyone have any recommendations for a safety harness for her? She’s 50-55 pounds. Haven’t had time to look into them yet.
silentoutdoors

Unread postby silentoutdoors » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:30 am

I’m using the HSS youth harness for my son. I believe it goes from 50-100 pounds
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 am

Wlog wrote:I use a saddle when I take them. I’ve got back pack straps on the saddle platform and it doesn’t weigh much so I let them carry that. I carry an assault and full length Lone Wolf sticks. I keep the sticks pretty close together so they’re easy for the kids to climb. I go up the tree and hang the sticks and stands. I hang a lifeline while I’m up there that hangs all the way to the ground. I tie their harness off to it and follow them up the tree adjusting the prusik for them as we go so they don’t have to fool with it.

I set them facing the way I’m expecting the deer to come from. Let’s call that 12 o’clock. I set my platform at about 8 o’clock. That way while we are sitting I can easily lean over and be right beside them. The main thing is to remember that your kid won’t be able to sit as still or quiet as you and that’s ok. I make sure to take plenty of snacks and water for them. My son and daughter can usually make it 2-3 hours in the tree without getting too antsy.

This is pretty much exactly what my plan was going to be.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:07 am

I’ll slide in to a spot that is predicted to have a consistent wind for a Friday eve/Saturday morn and hunt in the eve and then come in with a 2nd stand on Saturday morn with kid in tow and hang that stand for me on the back side and get them in the original stand I set. Takes a bit of the element of surprise away but we still kill deer and way easier. First time I did this my boy killed a 140” 10 pointer at 25 yards!

Bio1

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”