Live from the field 2020

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby muddy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Got set up at option 1 and birds started firing at option 2. Asked this morning's shooter what she wanted to do so we ended up moving quickly. A couple birds now inside that treeline but with hens. Hoping they end up coming out here for some morning green salad.

Had been quiet at fly down but now have a hen calling... time, patience, and fingers crossed.

20200419_063420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:13 am

Kid 2 makes it look easy.

20200419_070218.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:29 am

Nice!! Congrats to the Mudlet!

Morning was entertaining, but no bird in the truck. Went back to target gobbler. Got to the general area and heard gobbling. A little further off, but not much. It was still windy last night so he might have been in a more protective tree.

Set up and waited. Three or four deer filtered into the field upwind in front of me. Then I heard thundering hooves and almost got run over by a doe who was walking inside the treeline until it stumbled upon me. It darted behind me but I didn’t move. I could smell the bug spray on my shirt so why it didn’t bail immediately after being downwind I have no idea. The clatter drew the attention of the alpha doe and she got within about 8 yards doing the stare, stomp, sidestep and blow. Kept my hat tilted down and she was super nervous but didn’t bolt. They all milled around a little on edge and then melted into the swamp.

But that was all the excitement. Could have blown the head off a Ribeye of the Sky, but we don’t have a season for them. I never heard the tom fly down so he must have gone to a different area on private.

On to a new place this afternoon. I might go back and hope the target bird hits the strut zone in the late afternoon.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:18 am

Well had a ton of gobbling this morning all around us, but could not get any of them to come in. I was not speaking the language today. My dad and I got up to make a move an a gobbler, I left my Jake decoy in an avianX bag, and moved about 80 yards further. Big mistake, someone stole it. We were sitting there for less then 20 minutes. I guess I can’t really say someone stole it, they may have just walked up on it, and thought someone left it. But with how short we were sitting there I really believe we might have moved in in some one and not seen them, and they just took the decoy to be jerks. Well I knew better, my dad said just leave the decoy here, and I hesitated because I just knew better. Oh well such is life.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:03 am

Ah muck to the knee. It's been a while. I missed it.

20200419_150024.jpg

Feeling Beasty
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 am

I can't wait until we get a sandhill crane season.
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Listening for the roost.

Lovely evening
20200419_193228.jpg
----------
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:12 am

my turkey season doesnt open until satrurday, but I've been out alot in the mornings trying to pin down roost sites and confirm which areas are holding birds....I usually bring my 22-250 and caller along for these mornings and it paid off today :)

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:43 am

Kokes wrote:my turkey season doesnt open until satrurday, but I've been out alot in the mornings trying to pin down roost sites and confirm which areas are holding birds....I usually bring my 22-250 and caller along for these mornings and it paid off today :)

Nice!

What kind of caller were you using?
----------
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:19 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Kokes wrote:my turkey season doesnt open until satrurday, but I've been out alot in the mornings trying to pin down roost sites and confirm which areas are holding birds....I usually bring my 22-250 and caller along for these mornings and it paid off today :)

Nice!

What kind of caller were you using?

I use a hand caller and also had my foxpro on low volume playing a woodpecker in distress sound..
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am

Got all our home schooling done so headed out to a new spot. Got access to some private that butts up against a bunch of public. Ran a bunch of cams here and saw good longbeard numbers so throwing the dice and seeing how it plays out.

Windier than I prefer but whatever.

20200420_162348.jpg

DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:48 pm

After a flat tire opening morning, I'm finally out. Lots of gobbling this morning.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:15 am

Ok, this is live from the office, but the pup let this turkey know that mocking me outside of my deck was not ok.

20200421_075837.jpg
----------
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:36 am

Shot my first public land bird today, mid day. It was a cool hunt in a property that I did not really think held turkeys. Well I was wrong. Also found a shed hanging in a group of trees. Wish I would have taken a picture but I was so excited because I can’t seem to find a shed to save my life. Decent 2 year old bird, small spurs but a nice big beard and he put on a nice show.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Congrats!!

I saw some birds yesterday evening and wasn't able to hunt this AM. I gave it a go this evening... It was a ghost town so I decided to pull up stakes and give a place where I had a couple close but no cigars. I come in on a deer trail out of sight where they've been and I can spot check behind good cover. Well, turns out they were scratching right on that trail when I came down it. They were booking down the hill and there was fresh greenery that was recently tore up in among the leaves they were scratching. So I guessed right, but a little too right if you know what I mean.
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”