Significance of dead-heads, shed buck skulls or sheds when scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bubbles

Significance of dead-heads, shed buck skulls or sheds when scouting

Unread postby Bubbles » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Hey all,
I'm just wondering, which of these things, if any would you maybe bookmark as an area of interest/would be worth a sit
1. A very remote cedar island with 2 P+Y dead-heads in close proximity.
2. A small area (thick) lit up with rubs, with multiple shed buck skulls and several sheds found on the trails entering the area.

I'm VERY interested in #1, and not sure what to think about #2.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.
Thanks

Dewey

Re: Significance of dead-heads, shed buck skulls or sheds when scouting

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:20 pm

You can’ kill dead bucks. ;)

I would be much more concerned about what type of CURRENT sign is there left by bucks still alive.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:56 pm

They like it in there and are probably pretty secure. How the 2 bucks died is anyone's guess but I feel it's a little more than just a coincidence that 2 were found in close proximity to one another. Then add the fact that you are finding sheds in there.

I've read on here more than once of poorly hit bucks making their way back to known primary bedding areas. I also have a close friend and beast member that could share a similar story.

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on and now is the time to figure out how to kill them there. Like what's been said before, "if its a really good bedding area then its only a matter of time before the next moves in".

I also just found a secluded area with 2 stud deadheads and some fresh brown sheds all within a small proximity. The sign left, historically and currently, screams buck bedding.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 am

Id be looking at both for sure...its great to scout spots like this in the spring and keep them in the back of your mind, Id just combine in-season scouting as to when to hunt it. I shot a buck 2 years ago that same way, found a great thick remote island and waied to hunt it until i saw fresh sign (created at night) on the closest field edge which told me they were coming from the island. Did the same thing this year in the same spot and put my good friend on his first ever buck that same way.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:33 am

It absolutely is part of puzzle.
Where did those come from?
Any know beds near by?
How did they die?
Is this common?
Hunting pressure?
How long they been there?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:It absolutely is part of puzzle.
Where did those come from?
Any know beds near by?
How did they die?
Is this common?
Hunting pressure?
How long they been there?

In the first instance: it was a very remote cedar island surrounded by soggy Marshgrass+phragmites. There were several beds found on the island (hair in beds) and I found one P+Y deadhead that had been dead 1 year plus. Appears to have died in his bed. 2nd large deadhead was found approx 50 Meters away, in the phrag+ Marsh grass. Died this winter, vegetation was knocked down in a large circle, appeared to be a large struggle with coyotes. Hunting pressure is pretty heavy but in the outskirts of the swamp, but that is 1+mile away through pretty nasty swamp.

2nd instance involved the sheds and buck skulls with no antlers. Some died this winter, some years prior. Tons of rubs all around the area. A fair amoint of hunting pressure, but these areas are thicker and the pressure is just outside this area. The more I think about it, the more I think this is more doe bedding/ winter bedding.
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:53 pm

tbunao wrote:I've read on here more than once of poorly hit bucks making their way back to known primary bedding areas. I also have a close friend and beast member that could share a similar story.

Yeah, I've definitely seen that mentioned on here, and that's exactly what I was thinking when I stumbled onto this place.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:19 am

When pressure starts believe I would have to try it. I really don't think it takes a lot of pressure to push good deer into those type of areas. But, I would be careful because you could burn it quick.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 am

At a minimum, it's late season/winter bedding. At best, it's primary bedding. As others suggested, let the sign on the perimeter (fields, tracks on trails entering/exiting the area, rub lines, etc) tell you when the time is right to move in. I'd be throwing at least 2 or 3 sits at each area based on your description.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:27 am

I take it as a positive, I suspect many of them are wounded rifle deer seeking safe cover.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 am

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but with 2 deadheads in close proximity and one of them being old, it's pretty apparent the human activity there is minimal. That factor alone makes the area worth paying attention to, but be careful not to burn it like mentioned above.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm

My concerns with dead heads and such are they are often dragged 100s of yards by predators. Have seen time lapse vids of deer carcass being carried off more than a mile in every direction. Not very often u find a complete carcass once it’s been discovered by coyotes.

As for sheds I’ve never really found the right tree by picking one up. Think more sheds are found in wide open fields than anywhere else.

The important question is do u feel these findings are important? Cause in the end that’s all that matters and u learn to go with the gut.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”