Getting to your stand in time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ishi Spirit

Re: Getting to your stand in time

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 am

The early bird gets the worm!

The Spirit Lives On
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am

Some of my best bucks have come from hunts where I only had 45 min to hunt by time I got set up. This is especially true once daylight savings occurs.

I work construction so where I’m traveling to and from changes throughout the year. If I know I’m goin to be working an hour away from home come fall, I will scout public properties closer to that jobsite and drive separate to work because I hunt every day until my tag is filled. Sometimes I end up going in solely on map scouting. In general, I’m usually no further than 1 hr - 1 hr 30 min from home so what I’ve been doing over there years is scout every piece of public within that 1.5 hr radius of home so I have a good idea of where I’ll set up on a certain property in that area.

But yes, as long as I’m confident that I can slip in undetected and quietly but only have an hour or less, I will still make something work
How bad do you want it?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 am

I have shot some bucks getting to my stand late in the morning. Evening hunts are different for me. If I’m hunting the evening I’m not working that day. So I have plenty of time to get there and I prefer leaving early to take my time and beat every hunter to the parking area.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:10 am

Thanks guys! I will just need to find some areas where i can get into without being detected and hunt from the ground. Its good to hear alot of others having success with an hr or less of legal shooting hours.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 am

Best advantage any whitetail hunter has is time. Any time IMO! Statistically I’ve had my highest success during a time frame that the majority of hunters are not in the woods. Only reason I discovered that is due to being my only free time. 100% convinced whatever time period u have the most time in the woods at will be your best. That said, if I had a choice for a season long approach. It would be last 2 hours of daylight. But that’s just me....
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 am

Absolutely hate being in a rush...If I know I'm pushing it and the odds are better that I possibly ruin a spot that could pay off big, I"ll try something better like glassing, checking parking or hunt a new place close by.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 am

I have a couple spots that I can park and when I leave my SUV I can be in a stand in 6 minutes (pre-hung). I've hunted those spots with an hour of light left and seen deer. Funny thing is those stands seem to produce some great deer sightings and a real nice 9 point almost met his demise there if it wasn't for a squirrel that gave me a way.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:39 am

If you know you have limited time and need sets that you can sneak in for a quicky. You need to scout for that. Look for concealed and shot access routes. Adjust your goals if you have to or want to. Some of these spots might surprise you.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:37 pm

Forget the clock mgt..... I do not care if you only have 20minutes to hunt when you get there, if you have a great spot, at the right time, anytime is good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have done so when I was working, I do not want to blow an area up, but lots of time, I had under an hour to get in and hunt,,,,,, I hate to tell you those last few minutes of light, are majic time anyway,,,,, good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”