Day 1 of scouting during my quarantine

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Day 1 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby Elite » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm

I decided to scout a few spots I hunted last fall that I have hunted the last 2 years. I scouted a 2-3 acre clear cut I believe the 5.5 year old i was after was bedding in on a westerly wind during the summer and early fall. I never saw him in daylight until November 11 and I had him at 20 yards. Unfortunately, thermals and a skittish doe ruined my chance :(.

Anyway, the clear cut doesn't have any topographical features, standing trees or down trees where a buck would typically bed. What I did find, however, is a small spot where bucks could bed. I found what I believe to be an old buck bed. It has 5-6 old rubs surrounding it with visibility to the south and north if he were to be laying with his back to the west (see pictures).There were fresher rubs in the area but nothing waist high.

I do have a question. To the northwest of this "bed" I couldn't find any other beds but found higher mounds of ground that appeared bare. There's still a lot of snow, but got me thinking that maybe a buck would bed there for sound vantage? My assumption is that these "beds" are wind and sound-based.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uncle Lou

Re: Day 1 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:18 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
KornfedKiller

Re: Day 1 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:29 pm

Elite wrote:I do have a question. To the northwest of this "bed" I couldn't find any other beds but found higher mounds of ground that appeared bare. There's still a lot of snow, but got me thinking that maybe a buck would bed there for sound vantage? My assumption is that these "beds" are wind and sound-based.

I have found mounds near bedding as well without bedding sign. However these mounds separate bedding cover with a 4 wheeler trail. Maybe they're being used as staging areas? Maybe they're used in October at the start of hunting season before they get pushed deeper to watch hunters? Or maybe they're being used to travel through, with deer walking through the lowest points. I have no idea but I'll be watchin out there. There were 2 old stands in the area anyways.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”