Light & Variable

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Light & Variable

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 pm

When the winds are light and variable, how do you guys choose which spot to hunt?

Zap

Re: Light & Variable

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Ground blind, get up high or hunt a new spot where I do not care if I get busted.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Good post. I struggle w/ this wind too. I've got busted more than a few times when trying to hunt in these conditions- I think b/c my scent is just kinda hanging around me an drifting everywhich way. I'm curious to see what other people do.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:56 pm

This happened to me a lot last season, I would see the variable winds and just cringe. I tried hunting bucks a few times but probably did more damage than anything, after I while I just threw my hands up in the air and went doe hunting.

If I run into this problme again I'm really not sure what I would do, maybe sneak in to try and hunt the last hour and hope things calm down enough so I could try and hunt an area where I know what the thermals are going to do.

I also like the hunting a new spot suggestion, it still a tough situation but at least you aren't blowing out one of your good spots.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Hunting with a LW makes this a lot easier to deal with in some of my stands. I tend to push off my main stand location 10 to 20 yards, sometimes further and hope that I can call the deer to me. I have several locations where I'm in large field flats or hills and even if the wind is light/variable, it's usually constant.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm

I tend to avoid hunting on these types of days if possible. If it switches on me I will move my set if necessary.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Some morning spots have very good thermal movement.
Especially if you can get on a east facing slope toward the bottom, get up twenty and your scent should rise straight up if there is alot of sun.

Evening with no wind is not a good situation, generally.
If you can find a knob/slope/field edge with a steep drop off and hunt above it the thermal may wisk your scent down the drop, but it has to be manipulated in a way that the deer will not get wind of you.
Pop up blinds can contain scent, especially if it has extra material at the bottom to seal good.

Also.
Scent-Lok eliminates scent.

JK^^^ :P
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 pm

DropTyne wrote:I tend to avoid hunting on these types of days if possible. If it switches on me I will move my set if necessary.

why not hunt calm days :? i think your buring yourself :cry: ive had some of my best hunts on no wind days, just becuase u cant feel it, theres always a slight breeze
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:31 pm

The variable wind direction can make it difficult, also movement is easily seen and noise easily heard.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Zap wrote:The variable wind direction can make it difficult, also movement is easily seen and noise easily heard.

i dont have a problem in hill contry no matter what condtions are theres allways wind from the heating and cooling of the earth
"thermals"
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 pm

bighunt wrote:
DropTyne wrote:I tend to avoid hunting on these types of days if possible. If it switches on me I will move my set if necessary.

why not hunt calm days :? i think your buring yourself :cry: ive had some of my best hunts on no wind days, just becuase u cant feel it, theres always a slight breeze

My bad, I'm more thinking along the lines of days when the wind is switching........

When it's all said and done I try to avoid hunting on days when the wind is switching and days when it is extremely windy (unless it's the rut). I have learned through experience that I am better off picking the right days instead of trying to hunt on days with less than favorable conditions...... IMO
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:38 pm

DropTyne wrote:
bighunt wrote:

My bad, I'm more thinking along the lines of days when the wind is switching........

When it's all said and done I try to avoid hunting on days when the wind is switching and days when it is extremely windy (unless it's the rut). I have learned through experience that I am better off picking the right days instead of trying to hunt on days with less than favorable conditions...... IMO

got ya ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Light and variable wind can still give you away, many a spot is ruined by hunting in less than ideal conditions.

Murphy's Law.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Zap wrote:Light and variable wind can still give you away, many a spot is ruined by hunting in less than ideal conditions.

Murphy's Law.

also depends on the terrain and situation
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”