Buck beds isolated by water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
EasyEd

Re: Buck beds isolated by water

Unread postby EasyEd » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Hey Dan,
I have a kayak similar to yours. What did you use so your stand could be put on the front of it?

dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:30 am

Thanks for all you do for us! Your energy is boundless
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:37 am

Saw it in the Adapt to pressure video as well as this one. I enjoyed the break down of off angled shot lane. Something I hadn't put much thought into prior, and made me realize how many times I would set up basically right in that 90 degree window you had described instead of that off angled shot. They do tend to look right up when they hit that wide opening.

This video as a whole though was great.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:09 am

EasyEd wrote:Hey Dan,
I have a kayak similar to yours. What did you use so your stand could be put on the front of it?

I made an aluminum shelf out of diamond plate the shape of a stand. I bolted the end nearest the opening and bungeed the front around the kayak. There is a 2x4 cut the shape of the kayak and at a height to level the plate in the front screwed to the plate. I drilled holes around the entire perimeter for bungee attachments.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:01 pm

I got into 6 minutes and I had to stop to say something here.

I got the opportunity a few years back to get dan on the phone and have him look at my hill hunting spot up in NE Lower Peninsula of MI. He had the topo up as did I, and I was like OK where in the hills should I be, how should I tackle this hill country. He kept pointing across the road where it was all low and wet and kept saying you need to be over there.

Guess where I have been poking around since then. Now I am too stubborn and not crazy like dan to swim to deer, and also unfortunately I only get a few days up north to hunt a year, OK enough with the excuses. But I think I have a new spot to key on. The pressure has been up and the deer numbers down in the hills I have been running the last many years, so I reluctantly moved across the road. Wet is an understatement but I am going to keep pushing in that area. Saw great sign over there, but just put two days in the hills and two hunts in the wet tangle mess and came up empty, but I am starting to listen.

OK, back to the vid. good lesson dan. I will get wetter next year
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Good timing with this one! It's "that time of year".

Just spent the night pouring over maps. We'll see what the weather brings..I'd like to get out tomorrow.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:29 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
Guess where I have been poking around since then. Now I am too stubborn and not crazy like dan to swim to deer, and also unfortunately I only get a few days up north to hunt a year, OK enough with the excuses. But I think I have a new spot to key on. The pressure has been up and the deer numbers down in the hills I have been running the last many years, so I reluctantly moved across the road. Wet is an understatement but I am going to keep pushing in that area. Saw great sign over there, but just put two days in the hills and two hunts in the wet tangle mess and came up empty, but I am starting to listen.

So, yeah. We have a cattail marsh, and everyone hunts the fields and hills around it. I killed the buck in my profile pic 2 years ago on the top 3rd of the hill by the marsh, so I know they use the hill, but that was in full rut. I need to put into practice some better strategies for hunting that marsh. The weather this winter has been so mild, it hasn't really froze up good and stayed froze, we'll get some cold, then a warm front, then a short freeze, then it warms again. The water is really high right now. This weekend I'm going to scout the edges and from there figure out which area to target. I have an idea which part it's going to be, but I need to look at it better.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:38 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

So, yeah. We have a cattail marsh, and everyone hunts the fields and hills around it. I killed the buck in my profile pic 2 years ago on the top 3rd of the hill by the marsh, so I know they use the hill, but that was in full rut. I need to put into practice some better strategies for hunting that marsh. The weather this winter has been so mild, it hasn't really froze up good and stayed froze, we'll get some cold, then a warm front, then a short freeze, then it warms again. The water is really high right now. This weekend I'm going to scout the edges and from there figure out which area to target. I have an idea which part it's going to be, but I need to look at it better.

Yeh, dive right in. It is nice to scout when its froze up, but during hunting season it will likely be wet. Sometimes I just stand there staring which way to go without getting completely wet. I don't think swimming to deer is quiet, so I try to plan the path. Sometimes the path to them is already laid out for you, and sometimes its like, how did they get through that.

Good luck huntress
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:56 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

Once you enter the marsh, you never fully come back. Its a magic place that will steal a pc of your heart if you let it.... Well, thats it, I was going to edit a portion of THE bigwoods bedding DVD, now im heading out into a nearby marsh... :D
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:53 am

dan wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

Once you enter the marsh, you never fully come back. Its a magic place that will steal a pc of your heart if you let it.... Well, thats it, I was going to edit a portion of THE bigwoods bedding DVD, now im heading out into a nearby marsh... :D

I can feel the magic already, just knowing that's where the big deer are, and knowing that you can actually get on them if you do the work. Sorry bigwoods guys... :angelic-innocent:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:41 am

Great video Dan. Flooded timber and isolated beds surrounded by water is by far my favorite stuff to hunt and where I consistently see and have killed my best bucks over the years. It's tough many times dangerous navigating and hard to have confidence at first when your completely surrounded by water but you will quickly learn the bucks are there and love living in that stuff. Many of my best spots have ducks swimming around me.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:33 am

Dewey wrote:Great video Dan. Flooded timber and isolated beds surrounded by water is by far my favorite stuff to hunt and where I consistently see and have killed my best bucks over the years. It's tough many times dangerous navigating and hard to have confidence at first when your completely surrounded by water but you will quickly learn the bucks are there and love living in that stuff. Many of my best spots have ducks swimming around me.

Those isolated humps are not easy to find. For me anyway. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 am

I was in some wet marsh this weekend that seemed to be overran with Beavers. Has anyone ever had a "bad encounter" with Beavers while tredging through their area?
Also, anyone ever noticed Deer staying away from certain areas bc of the Beavers, or No change?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 am

westmichigander wrote:I was in some wet marsh this weekend that seemed to be overran with Beavers. Has anyone ever had a "bad encounter" with Beavers while tredging through their area?
Also, anyone ever noticed Deer staying away from certain areas bc of the Beavers, or No change?

They have not seemed to effect deer movement for me. Actually the opisate, in a lot cases the bucks seem attracted to the wet stagnate ponds the beavers create.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:50 am

Did anybody notice Ernie from tethard made it into this video? last clip.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”