Ranch Ferry.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Ranch Ferry.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:52 am

matt1336 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
matt1336 wrote:In my brief experience from using the ezv last year...imo it’s the best sight I’ve used so far. Target acquisition, low light and ease of use.
The learning curve is what turns people off but if you can get through that, it’s money.

Do you use the hash marks or just the V? It's an intriguing concept, I'm happy with my current sight, but am kind of interested.

I’m learning to use the v. My best answer to your question would be both at this time. I should be 100% v by hunting season. My problem is that I don’t have a 3D target to get use to the v with.

Yeah I thought the range estimation on shots 40 yards and under could come in real handy when things happen fast during the rut. Let us know how it goes.

MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
matt1336 wrote:In my brief experience from using the ezv last year...imo it’s the best sight I’ve used so far. Target acquisition, low light and ease of use.
The learning curve is what turns people off but if you can get through that, it’s money.

Do you use the hash marks or just the V? It's an intriguing concept, I'm happy with my current sight, but am kind of interested.

I'm already ignoring hash marks and focusing on centering vitals in the V. I think eventually I will flip it around with no hash marks because sometimes I find myself looking at them. May add a 50 or 60 yard mark to the other side. I can't say enough how awesome it is throwing your sights on a target range unknown and drilling the heck out of it. Trust the V, it shall set you free.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:05 pm

I have researched extensively on this topic. I think 500-600 is the sweet spot with a cut in contact Broadhead for whitetail. I’m at 500 grains with a single bevel head now. Lost a good one to a mechanical last fall (bad shot placement).
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm

I have some GT hunter XT 250’s on the way. I’m going to experiment and get to 650grn with a single bevel. But I have 2 backup bows, an HTR and a Mission Venture that I will be trying it out with first. My current arrow is only 415-420 grains and was very dialed in this last year fired with the Triax and I’m not sure I want to mess with that. I’m looking at cutthroats and grizzlystik overkill samarai’s and Maasai’s.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:39 pm

wmihunter wrote: Lost a good one to a mechanical last fall (bad shot placement).

I'm not trying to sound argumentative but would a couple more inches of penetration made the difference?

Most of my bad hits were just that and the only thing that would have changed the outcome is making a better shot.

Confidence is a powerful thing so by all means shoot what you're confident with.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Bowonly wrote:
wmihunter wrote: Lost a good one to a mechanical last fall (bad shot placement).

I'm not trying to sound argumentative but would a couple more inches of penetration made the difference?

Most of my bad hits were just that and the only thing that would have changed the outcome is making a better shot.

Confidence is a powerful thing so by all means shoot what you're confident with.

If your shooting out of a tree stand and don't get a pass through the blood isn't going to be coming out of that deer very fast. So yes a couple inches could poke a low hole exit and leave blood trail to follow. Two holes are always better especially when shooting from above.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:23 am

Bowonly wrote:

The whole debate over heavy arrows/mechanicals is because the initial shot looked good. Low light scenarios, quick encounters happen. It’s easy to misjudge yardage, not see that briar vine covering the vitals at 23 yards, you name it.

In a perfect world all our shots would hit true, we wouldn’t clip that saplings twig or vine that caused a deflection, our mechanicals will open properly on impact and our quarry never moves.

All I’ve ever shot has been fixed or mechanicals with factory 10-25gr inserts, shooting 340-400 spine arrows. I’ve experienced massive deflections, poor penetration etc. I’m in the process of building a 508 & 695 grain arrows and comparing how they fly, deflect etc with 2 blade & 4 blade COC heads.

I had the same mentality “could’ve made a better shot”, but how many animals stop at a perfect 10-15-20 yards and broadside, in a clear shooting lane?
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Twenty Up wrote:
Bowonly wrote:

The whole debate over heavy arrows/mechanicals is because the initial shot looked good. Low light scenarios, quick encounters happen. It’s easy to misjudge yardage, not see that briar vine covering the vitals at 23 yards, you name it.

In a perfect world all our shots would hit true, we wouldn’t clip that saplings twig or vine that caused a deflection, our mechanicals will open properly on impact and our quarry never moves.

All I’ve ever shot has been fixed or mechanicals with factory 10-25gr inserts, shooting 340-400 spine arrows. I’ve experienced massive deflections, poor penetration etc. I’m in the process of building a 508 & 695 grain arrows and comparing how they fly, deflect etc with 2 blade & 4 blade COC heads.

I had the same mentality “could’ve made a better shot”, but how many animals stop at a perfect 10-15-20 yards and broadside, in a clear shooting lane?

Agreed!!!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:19 pm

tgreeno wrote:I will definitely be hunting with a heavier setup this season!

I'm gonna mess around with loading up my CE Pile Driver Hunter 350's. Heavier heads plus brass inserts.

Anyone wanna trade some Slick Trick magnum 125's for some 100's? 8-)

I'm doing the same setup. Ethics archery inserts. St mag 125s and buzzcut 125s
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Victory arrows has a good spine calculator on their site. You can plug in weights of all the arrow components and see where you stack up. The dynamic spine will be affected by putting a bunch of weight on the Twizzlers, so go in with open eyes...

Click Open Spine Calculator... https://www.victoryarchery.com/arrow-guide/

For example, my 125 heads shoot great because the spine turns out to be almost dead on. Maybe a tad overspined (too stiff). But they get wobblier with 150s.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”