Using Multiple Bows

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Camoface13

Using Multiple Bows

Unread postby Camoface13 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 am

Anyone use multiple bows for different scenarios? I have a spot that’s super gnarly and have to jump through lots of hoops to get to and it’s only a 15 yard shot spot max. Thinking of setting my older bow with a heavier arrow setup than what I typically use. Any issues with this if my draw length is the same?

The_Real_Jmill

Re: Using Multiple Bows

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:51 am

Camoface13 wrote:Anyone use multiple bows for different scenarios? I have a spot that’s super gnarly and have to jump through lots of hoops to get to and it’s only a 15 yard shot spot max. Thinking of setting my older bow with a heavier arrow setup than what I typically use. Any issues with this if my draw length is the same?

I have an older "backup" bow that gets the call If the weather sucks or if I wanna tinker and try something new with.

Long as the arrows are spined right and the bow is tuned there won't be any issues.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 am

I use multiple bows throughout the season. Mainly cause I got a lot of em. I set em up to shoot the same but for me they ain’t like a wife that I gotta pick one a ride the sucker until the wheels fall off. I like variety in bows and making new memories. For whatever reason once I kill a good deer with a bow it loses some luster and I’m pulled to one I ain’t shot jack with.

I’m no rocket scientist but in my redneck backwoods testing. The real place a high foc arrow shines is shooting through thick cover. If u clip anything the heavy front end tends to keep it flying straight atleast for me. If u wanna shoot the same bow get a lighter gpi shaft of the same length and spine but make the diff up with head weight for a compound. Adjust the bow if arrow flight is any diff. But then again knock the dust off another one if it tickles your fancy and bombs away.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:46 am

I use 1 bow all year round regardless of the scenarios I'm hunting. To me there is nothing better, or more comforting, than the intimate embrace of my old bow in hand.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am

I have 6 bows but only hunt with one that does everything I need it to do. The rest are old bows I save just for the memories I had with them, a few I shoot for fun and another is just my main back up that I try to shoot often just in case my main bow gets sidelined for whatever reason. I think it’s important to hunt with the bow you are most familiar with. Nothing better than a shot routine that feels perfect and goes without thinking based mostly off muscle memory. Things go wrong when you keep changing that up. At least that’s my experience.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:22 pm

I'd favor the flatter trajectory of my normal set up vs. lobbing a log and counting on it not to deflect.

Once I spend all summer getting dialed and confident with my set up, anything else would seem like a step backwards.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Camoface13

Unread postby Camoface13 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:48 am

I understand the comments but my whole worry is after all my tuning and adjusting on my newer bow (yes I baby it), between the kayak ride and crawling into my heavily brushed blind something could get thrown off. The older bow is less finicky overall but does not shoot nearly as fast or far (thus the 15 yard shot max would be fine).. I will think about it I agree throwing off your normal muscle memory and such can mess ya up
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:18 am

One other opinion is to make your current "baby" a lot tougher. Put heavier duty equipment on it so you dont have to worry about switching bows around or worrying about banging it a little bit. I would think having a bow I was 110% confident with ALL the time would be way better than using 2 bows that I have to constantly think before I shoot with

When "go time" presents itself that is not when you want to be trying to remember a shot sequence from multiple weapons.

A soft case would be a great option for kayaking. Bows are tools and tools are meant to be used in all conditions. My bow is also a baby, but it has taken to looking like Sloth from the Goonies over the years.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:04 am

Camoface13 wrote:I understand the comments but my whole worry is after all my tuning and adjusting on my newer bow (yes I baby it), between the kayak ride and crawling into my heavily brushed blind something could get thrown off. The older bow is less finicky overall but does not shoot nearly as fast or far (thus the 15 yard shot max would be fine).. I will think about it I agree throwing off your normal muscle memory and such can mess ya up

Your bow needs to be built tough and assembled with accessories that can take a beating so it can handle anything you throw at it. If you saw the abuse I put my bow through busting through marshes and such you would be shocked. Other than a busted sight pin a number of years ago when walking out in the dark (which was replaced with a much tougher sight) I have never had any type of failure in 30+ years. I don't baby my bow because I know it can take it.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:46 am

I use one bow with quality equipment as well.

I’ve dropped my bow 19’ while escaping a September lightning storm, smashed it with kayak paddles, used it to fold down briar vines... you name it

Montana Black Gold sights & QAD rests have been great to me. Mark where the sight/rest etc is set and check to see if the bolts ever come loose.

If funds allowed I’d have an identical backup bow.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:17 pm

Make sure you have plenty of arrow weight FOC to make the ranch ferry happy
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”