Release?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

Release?

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:02 am

I'm in the market for a new release, what is everyone shooting. I've shot scott for years and probably will get another one but just curious if there is a release out there a lot of people are using that I should look at.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Release?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:16 am

I had been Shooting Scotts. But after 2 broke on me over time I switched to TruBall. So far so good. Seem much better made. I have the scout right now. I like a wrist release that's full capture/caliper with an adjustable length strap so I can get that trigger right where I want it I think the straps help reduce torque transfer to the string as well as they can rotate and have give to them. The releases that have a rod from the wrist strap to the caliper let you impart torque on the string if you rotate your wrist, etc.
Last edited by ThePreBanMan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:17 am

I have relied on Scott's Mongoose for many years! I like them so much I bought a couple new ones to keep for later use and have an extra used one I keep in my truck for the "just in case" situations :lol:
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 am

I've been using the same Scott's mongoose release for 15+ years. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:26 am

I have been using a Scott little goose for 10+ years and I have been happy with it.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 am

I switched from a Scott Mongoose to a Stan Perfex. I love it. For me personally it made a huge improvement in my ability to initiate a surprise release. I wrote a review on my website about what I like about it. You can read the review at the link below, if you're interested.

http://going4brokeoutdoors.com/stan-perfex-longneck-thumb-release-blackout/
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:22 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I had been Shooting Scotts. But after 2 broke on me over time I switched to TruBall. So far so good. Seem much better made. I have the scout right now. I like a wrist release that's full capture/caliper with an adjustable length strap so I can get that trigger right where I want it I think the straps help reduce torque transfer to the string as well as they can rotate and have give to them. The releases that have a rod from the wrist strap to the caliper let you impart torque on the string if you rotate your wrist, etc.

How did they break? I've been shooting a scotts for well over a decade now. Never seemed to have any problems with it as far as anything breaking. Wondering if there's something I should look out for?
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:03 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:I had been Shooting Scotts. But after 2 broke on me over time I switched to TruBall. So far so good. Seem much better made. I have the scout right now. I like a wrist release that's full capture/caliper with an adjustable length strap so I can get that trigger right where I want it I think the straps help reduce torque transfer to the string as well as they can rotate and have give to them. The releases that have a rod from the wrist strap to the caliper let you impart torque on the string if you rotate your wrist, etc.

How did they break? I've been shooting a scotts for well over a decade now. Never seemed to have any problems with it as far as anything breaking. Wondering if there's something I should look out for?

It may be a design flaw in the model I have. Because I have a 3rd Scott that's held up fine. But it's an older one. But the newer ones with the round knurled trigger bar, stay away from those. The trigger bar snaps off at the sear. On the end of them, they're turned down and threaded so they can screw into the calipers sear. Very little material there to screw into the sear. That's where they fail. I have a different model with what appears to be a 1 piece trigger assembly (trigger and sear are 1 piece). That one has held up fine.. But it looks like all the releases they make now are the ones I've had fail on me.

The pic is where I've had them fail. Where that knurled trigger screws into the sear.... I've had 2 trigger bars break off there... They were both the Samuari.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Interesting, that makes sense to be a weak spot. That's the type that I have, guess I've been lucky. Maybe I'll look into something new but similar, I really like that release.
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am

Started shooting fingers when I was five years old and made the switch to a wrist release when I was a teenager. I never did enjoy shooting the wrist so I made a switch to a Carter Wise Choice thumb button two years ago and love it.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:49 am

I like a wrist style and used a tru-fire hardcore max this year. The hook style really helped me as far as self filming and being able to quickly hook up to the string.
TitansTracking

Unread postby TitansTracking » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:27 am

Ive been shooting a tru ball fang 4 for the last 5 years and love it. I started with this cheaper hand held, but i now am going to a carter wise choice. I prefer hand held so i have nothing wrapped around my wrist! and i noticed i tightened my groups my almost 50 percent at 60 yards !
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:34 am

PreBan's feedback got me trying a Tru Ball. I got the one with the swept-back trigger. I really like it. The break is good and for me, the swept trigger ensures that I keep good tension at the time of release. I think it's made my accuracy better and more repeatable.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Like Mike by Carter
Hambone79

Unread postby Hambone79 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:38 am

I have been using a carter 2 shot for a while now and has been my favorite.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”