The Moment of Truth

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The_Real_Jmill

The Moment of Truth

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 am

The moment of truth is generally thought of as the shot opportunity itself, but there are events that ultimately lead up to the point where the shot is executed. From target acquisition to the point in time where the target is headed your way and the shot opportunity actually presents itself all happens very fast.

So I thought to myself what do I do in the events that lead up to the shot opportunity. I would like to think I have certain steps that I talk myself through, but the more I think about it the more I realize I don't really have to think about it anymore after years of hunting. I more or less just react of off instinct that has been built from years of doing it. But I know not everyone operates as such, when I was younger I vividly recall having to walk myself through each step from the time I initially acquired the animal in the woods, to when the deer/turkey etc. would close the distance and I knew a shot opportunity was immanent. I would even walking myself through the shot process itself (draw, anchor, breathe, execute the shot).

So it had me curious how others put it all together for the moment of truth.

Jackson Marsh

Re: The Moment of Truth

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 pm

DABB...draw, anchor, bend at the waist, bury it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Aim small, miss small
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Have found out through the years the least I do or think about the better off I am. My brain on auto pilot is a whole lot smarter than myself.

Grip it and rip it!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:09 pm

I have no process, just kind of in the zone/on auto pilot and look for that opening and my body reacts without even thinking about anything.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm

For me, when I breathe and follow through, the deer has always died. Every buck I've lost has been from a lack of follow through.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm

My only thoughts are where the deer is going to be when it gets in range, and where is that in relation to the landmarks that I’ve ranged. Then my only decision is when to draw. The rest is just shooting the bow like I’ve practiced all summer. I agree that the more you try to plan all of your movements, the more that can go wrong. The biggest advantage you can have is to put yourself in a position where you are ready to kill with minimal movement. That means to me, facing the direction the deer are coming from with the bow across your lap and an arrow nocked.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm

I usually just mutter four letter words under my breath and before I know it either the deer is dead or gone :think:

Either way, I then say some more four letter words a little louder. Only the tone and cadence differentiate depending on exactly what happened...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 am

Pretty much go into autopilot when it's time. Depending on the situation I will have to sometimes tell myself to settle down until it's done. I learned to do that after a few bad experiences. Other than that I make a conscious effort to take an extra moment and pick a spot and place the shot exactly where I need it. Also learned that from a few bad experiences getting excited and rushing things which resulted badly.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 am

I have three things I try to remember, be sure of the yardage, bend at the waist and pick a spot. I forget all of them every time and go into a zone where I'm kind of running on autopilot. It's my happy place. I like to think all if the off season practice and past experience will help.me and I think that's true. Kinda like dodging a punch when someone swings at you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”