Figuring things out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Figuring things out

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:22 am

How is it that some guys like Dan and a some others seem to be able to figure out things on their own more or less whereas others, like myself for example, don’t seem to have a knack for that. I guess the best example might be bucks using leeward hills , or even the need to get close to bedding. As far as I know, Dan (or someone did) figures this out without anyone telling him. I never would have put it together that wind blowing over top of a hill leads to the buck traveling that side. I may have hunted there because of sign but never put it together for a pattern. You see the same thing in fishing and it amazes me how the pros can put a pattern together that involves the most minute details. Even knowing everything I now know about mature bucks it is difficult to put everything together.

Now, there are some things I have been able to do that with....particularly in business and human behavior in business but not so much in nature.

What is the difference that some guys can and others cannot?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
The_Real_Jmill

Re: Figuring things out

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:42 am

I feel everyone has different talents and some individuals minds are just geared different.

Some close to me don't even think about wind/scent/bedding and could careless how it relates but are such relentless hunters they end up scoring good deer.

I've experienced certain hunting scenarios that I was able to piece together myself and come to my own conclusions, while others scenarios like rising and falling thermals I had to read before it finally clicked on how it applied to how I was hunting.

Everyone has different talents and abilities, but with the amount of accessible information out there as long as the effort is put in one can put it together and be successful regardless which is pretty cool.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 am

Agree with R....jmill. Not everyone's brain works the same. Take mine and someone like Einstein. I can't come anywhere close to thinking about the stuff he figured out. On the other hand I've heard and read that alot of people with similar minds to Einstein. Have a hard time comprehending some simpler everyday things that alot of us "normal" folks almost do instinctively. Or common sense just points us in the right direction. Maybe it's because they are too annalitical.

It takes a perfect balance. A blend of asking the right questions, seeking answers until you find them, and enough passion for something to not give up before you figure it out!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:40 am

Common sense and experience goes a long way. You can have one or the other and get by but if you have both it's amazing what you can figure out.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:25 am

I think it's all about asking the right question, and then setting about getting the answer. Dan has said it here and in his videos. Why is that deer here, where is it going, what is it doing? And putting that together with what you know about deer, they live by their nose, they want security, food, and add in doe during rut.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 am

Huntress13 wrote:I think it's all about asking the right question, and then setting about getting the answer. Dan has said it here and in his videos. Why is that deer here, where is it going, what is it doing? And putting that together with what you know about deer, they live by their nose, they want security, food, and add in doe during rut.

It’s the why I always have trouble figuring out. I am a heckuva lot better at figuring out why humans do what they do than I can deer.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:38 am

One thing I was blessed with was not having much of anything growing up. We were poor and equipment was hand me downs or very hard earned, and I owned no ground, nor had much access... Some might not look at that as an advantage, but it was. It taught me to work hard for everything, and with no hunting ground I moved around a lot hunting all over and learning deer over and over on each property or place I hunted. For example, in the late 70's early 80's my father would go on a fishing trip and just drop me and my bow off at some public property somewhere in Wisconsin. Sometimes it was hill country, sometimes a big swamp, or maybe just woods. It was up to me to go in and figure them out. I had very few mentors, and there were no hunting shows, or video's, or internet, and magazines taught squat.

So, I just dove in and did my best... My Dad new very little about hunting, he had shot about 2 deer in his life, and never talked about it. With me being the 11th child, he did not hunt anymore at all by the time I came around, and my hunting brothers all went off to vietnam and did not want to hunt when they came back. Dads advice was to put a transistor radio in the woods and put it on talk radio and hunt 100 yards down wind. I can still hear him telling me to just try it, deer are curious animals... There is some good that comes out of having no teachers, you have no false beliefs... Growing up in an area that has hill country, farms, swamps, big woods, marshes, all within a short distance really helped. Cause you learn things studying deer in a marsh about deer in the big woods, that you wouldn't learn in the big woods. And that works for each terrain. As much as I love to be a teacher and mentor, I also know there is no better teacher than the deer and the wilderness.

Take a look at all the people considered great hunters... Each is an original. He thinks for himself, has his own style, and an open mind. Everybody else just mimics and copies the few that are great. I suspect where you live (the O.P.) your in a tough terrain, and your not looking at a lot of properties. Its quite possible I would look at your property and go elsewhere... For example, near my home I have permission to hunt a 200 acre farm that has big bucks cruise thru and live around. But yet, I have not hunted there in 7 or 8 years cause it does not have the habitat and bedding that regularly holds big bucks. There are big rubs, tracks, and you get lots of night time giant buck pics there, but its not my cup of tea. Hunting would be based more on luck than skill, and this Dude, don't win lotteries, so I side with skill... Like Kenny says in his famous song, You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and know when to run...

Keep struggling, keep learning, keep trying new areas, new places, and be happy with what ever your results are... And somewhere down the road you will realize you won, no matter whats hanging on your wall. I personally don't judge a man by whats on his wall, but rather, whats in his heart....
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm

dan wrote:One thing I was blessed with was not having much of anything growing up. We were poor and equipment was hand me downs or very hard earned, and I owned no ground, nor had much access... Some might not look at that as an advantage, but it was. It taught me to work hard for everything, and with no hunting ground I moved around a lot hunting all over and learning deer over and over on each property or place I hunted. For example, in the late 70's early 80's my father would go on a fishing trip and just drop me and my bow off at some public property somewhere in Wisconsin. Sometimes it was hill country, sometimes a big swamp, or maybe just woods. It was up to me to go in and figure them out. I had very few mentors, and there were no hunting shows, or video's, or internet, and magazines taught squat.

So, I just dove in and did my best... My Dad new very little about hunting, he had shot about 2 deer in his life, and never talked about it. With me being the 11th child, he did not hunt anymore at all by the time I came around, and my hunting brothers all went off to vietnam and did not want to hunt when they came back. Dads advice was to put a transistor radio in the woods and put it on talk radio and hunt 100 yards down wind. I can still hear him telling me to just try it, deer are curious animals... There is some good that comes out of having no teachers, you have no false beliefs... Growing up in an area that has hill country, farms, swamps, big woods, marshes, all within a short distance really helped. Cause you learn things studying deer in a marsh about deer in the big woods, that you wouldn't learn in the big woods. And that works for each terrain. As much as I love to be a teacher and mentor, I also know there is no better teacher than the deer and the wilderness.

Take a look at all the people considered great hunters... Each is an original. He thinks for himself, has his own style, and an open mind. Everybody else just mimics and copies the few that are great. I suspect where you live (the O.P.) your in a tough terrain, and your not looking at a lot of properties. Its quite possible I would look at your property and go elsewhere... For example, near my home I have permission to hunt a 200 acre farm that has big bucks cruise thru and live around. But yet, I have not hunted there in 7 or 8 years cause it does not have the habitat and bedding that regularly holds big bucks. There are big rubs, tracks, and you get lots of night time giant buck pics there, but its not my cup of tea. Hunting would be based more on luck than skill, and this Dude, don't win lotteries, so I side with skill... Like Kenny says in his famous song, You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and know when to run...

Keep struggling, keep learning, keep trying new areas, new places, and be happy with what ever your results are... And somewhere down the road you will realize you won, no matter whats hanging on your wall. I personally don't judge a man by whats on his wall, but rather, whats in his heart....

It’s ironic that often the people who grew up having little (and I am one of them for sure) turn out to be tougher and the more grind it out types because they have always had to struggle; struggling, working hard, etc for what you get essentially becomes a learned habit. I watched a Tony Robbins video in which he told one person they should thank his/her parents for having a really hard time growing up as it helped to build “life muscles” whereas someone who didn’t have to work to get things or even the love of a parent, wasn’t nearly as tough and able to handle all the obstacles and difficulties that get thrown in our path as we traverse through life.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”