OnX vs Basemap vs Gaia

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

khel

OnX vs Basemap vs Gaia

Unread postby khel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:23 pm

Just a couple of observations after using OnX, Basemap and Gaia. (paid versions)

OnX - (used it for a couple of seasons)
Most expensive. $29 per year (single state) or $99 for all states (they do have military discount I hear)
Least amount of maps. No hi-res satellite.
Public land maps. VPA overlays for Wisconsin.
Good interface.
Private land boundaries, acreage, and owners info.
Conclusion - love it for hunting, though basemap is catching up.

Basemap - direct competitor to OnX (just got it, used it on a few shed hunting hikes)
Least expensive $29 for all states (first responders /military discounts available as well) No trial of premium membership.
Good amount of maps. Public land maps. VPA maps for Wisconsin. Hi-res satellite maps.
Good interface but can be a bit clunky and slow
Private land boundaries. No other info.
Conclusion - not quite ready to make a switch from OnX, but really close.

Gaia - (used it on and off for hiking for a few years)
$39 for all states (you can get trial premium membership - there were a couple of links on rokslide forums)
Lots and lots of maps. Public land maps. NO VPA maps for Wisconsin :( No google maps and no hi-res satellite (at least didn't look like hi-res to me in comparison to others)
The best interface IMHO. Clean, smooth and responsive.
Private land boundaries, acreage, and owners info.
Will keep using it just for hiking. Really miss VPA maps.

Moose
500 Club

Re: OnX vs Basemap vs Gaia

Unread postby Moose » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks for sharing that information. Ive thought about trying ONx seems like alot of people use it. I just use google earth and the IDNR public land map.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:23 am

Your thoughts mirror mine.

I use all three but finally gave up on OnX because I don’t really need the boundaries for now. I hated trying to navigate with OnX and found it unreliable. Gaia is still my ‘go to’ for tracks and waypoints.

But even with Gaia you have to make sure it is functioning correctly. Once in a while I would have to restart the phone or something for it to calibrate direction of travel or position correctly. I am talking like 1 out of 20 hikes or so I would run into this... seems like with OnX it was much more frequent.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 am

I don’t like the onx app for reasons that have been mentioned. Also the aerial maps you have to zoom in to one little area to see the detailed winter map instead of the everything is green I can’t see transition map. That’s so annoying.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am

I've tried all 3, but keep coming back to onX. Been using it for 8 years or so now, and this is the best version of it in my opinion. I like Basemap's pricepoint and some of the newer features, and I hope they will force onX to be more competitive on price or make improvements to better justify their price.

I start my online scouting by using two devices (either 2 laptops or a laptop and tablet), one with Google Earth and one with onX. I'll use the GE historical images to get good winter images and either mark them up in onX to check out, or sometimes draw planned scouting paths in GE and send it over to onX. In this manner, I don't often feel hampered by onX's imagery.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 am

jwilkstn wrote:I've tried all 3, but keep coming back to onX. Been using it for 8 years or so now, and this is the best version of it in my opinion. I like Basemap's pricepoint and some of the newer features, and I hope they will force onX to be more competitive on price or make improvements to better justify their price.

I start my online scouting by using two devices (either 2 laptops or a laptop and tablet), one with Google Earth and one with onX. I'll use the GE historical images to get good winter images and either mark them up in onX to check out, or sometimes draw planned scouting paths in GE and send it over to onX. In this manner, I don't often feel hampered by onX's imagery.

I only messed with the free trial of basemap a year or so ago, but preferred onX so that's what I went with. The 30% or 40% (can't remember which) discount I got on camofire helped make that decision easier too.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 am

Appreciate this review.

I use OnX mainly for the private boundaries and related info. It's kind of a big deal on many of the areas that I hunt, so I find it pretty valuable.

The greater imagery detail would be nice, but nothing ever is going to be the same when you see it in person.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Levantou

Unread postby Levantou » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm

I have compared onX and BaseMap this year while scouting and I have found that for every five mile track on BaseMap my track on OnX reads almost 6 miles. I have noticed that while marking a way point on OnX the blue dot that shows where I'm standing will "float" but the BaseMap app's location dot is more solid. Considering that I pay the same amount for both applications, I'd rather use the app that is more accurate. This might just be an issue with where I live but I thought I'd throw it out there.
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 pm

I use premium of both. Basemaps aerial with topo overlay is not good. The countor lines are like every 40 to 50 feet. May be fine in the major mountain ranges, not good for Ohio.

I use onx more often, until I want higher resolution maps. I'll then use basemap.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 am

Good points...tried OnX(free trial) last year. It seemed to do what I wanted it to do.I already have a Garmin w/state chip that gives me boundaries and accurate waypoints. I'm very leery of the need to need more "stuff". Right now I'm letting competition between these guys hopefully get prices right and lacking things fixed...nice comparison, thanks.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
khel

Unread postby khel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 am

I've been talking to Gaia about absence of VPA lands and got this reply:
Off Topic
Melanie Wilson
8 hours ago
Hey khel25,

Unfortunately, the Volunteer Public Access (VPA) data isn't available in the same format as the DNR data and cannot be easily imported to Gaia GPS.

We don't currently have any plans to add the Wisconsin VPA layer to Gaia GPS.

If you have any questions, email support@gaiagps.com.

So, it's back to the OnX and Basemap (they've just updated it again and it's an improvement IMO)
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat May 02, 2020 2:32 am

I have had ONX and like it, but I saw a video put out by elkshape comparing the 2 and I am very interested in switching to basemap. Reading thru this thread it I keep hearing that their are problems with boundaries with basemap. Could someone elaborate some more about this specifically? What are the problems?
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:07 am

I've been going between onX and HuntStand. HuntStand has high quality maps.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:20 am

bass28 wrote:I've been going between onX and HuntStand. HuntStand has high quality maps.

Same with me. I have onX, used the discounted one from Camofire, (roughly $18) they just had some again this week on it.
I like aspects of it, but Huntstand seems easier for me, and all my previous stuff was in Scoutlook. I believe Huntstand is supposed to be adding offline maps soon. Not 100% on that yet.

I to listened to the Basemap info. on Elkshape. downloaded it to look at the free version.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”