What a drag

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The_Real_Jmill

Re: What a drag

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:49 am

Farthest was 1.3 miles with some spots of 1000' elevation gain that there was no way around. I would walk my bow and stand up 40-50 yards, then go back for the deer and drag past my stuff, then go back and walk my stuff past that and repeat.

The worst was when I shot 2 deer in the same morning, drug one up to the truck and went back for the other, by the time I could see the parking lot my legs weren't wanting to work or cooperate.

Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:04 am

tundra@1 wrote:I feel for a lot of hunters, but about PA, why do you have to be out of the woods within 30 minutes?

In PA I'm good to go since I'm on private land. It's down here in Maryland where I live that I hunt the public land down the road. In Maryland your not supposed to be in the woods on public more than 30 minutes before light and no later than 30 minutes after. Really doesn't make much sense for those like me that want to hunt deep and stay late. I can't imagine they are going to give somebody crap if their dragging a deer out, but I wouldn't want to be accused of night hunting either. I really need to talk to an officer and find out the deal. I have only started hunting down here in Maryland as well so it's been different for sure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:39 am

Archivist13 wrote:
tundra@1 wrote:I feel for a lot of hunters, but about PA, why do you have to be out of the woods within 30 minutes?

In PA I'm good to go since I'm on private land. It's down here in Maryland where I live that I hunt the public land down the road. In Maryland your not supposed to be in the woods on public more than 30 minutes before light and no later than 30 minutes after. Really doesn't make much sense for those like me that want to hunt deep and stay late. I can't imagine they are going to give somebody crap if their dragging a deer out, but I wouldn't want to be accused of night hunting either. I really need to talk to an officer and find out the deal. I have only started hunting down here in Maryland as well so it's been different for sure.

Isn't this also true of Federal lands? I think it's an hour before/after but the rule is the same. How do folks deal with that? I can think of Fed properties where it would be a serious challenge to make that cutoff just hustling out of there when you hunt until the magic hour.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 am

If it’s legal pack them out. It’s the only option. I won’t drag one a hundred yards.
Archivist13

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:

Isn't this also true of Federal lands? I think it's an hour before/after but the rule is the same. How do folks deal with that? I can think of Fed properties where it would be a serious challenge to make that cutoff just hustling out of there when you hunt until the magic hour.

That's interesting. I've never hunted federal land so I have no idea. I mean you are allowed to physically hunt from half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Do they expect public land hunters to teleport as soon as it happens?
Archivist13

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 am

Ahawk116 wrote:If it’s legal pack them out. It’s the only option. I won’t drag one a hundred yards.

I really need to find out if it is legal to pack out in Maryland. Some of the spots I hunt I honestly can't imagine even using a cart or sled. Some deep ravines and back corners 2 miles from the parking.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Archivist13 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:

That's interesting. I've never hunted federal land so I have no idea. I mean you are allowed to physically hunt from half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Do they expect public land hunters to teleport as soon as it happens?

From this... https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... e-32.68%20

903322B1-D855-44D7-BA77-CE3B7AEABF72.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:43 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:

Don't confuse people! This doesn't apply to all federal lands. What your pointing out is federal wildlife refuge land. I also believe it can sometimes vary by refuge, but many times by state.

National Forest, BLM and some other federal agency lands usually have no time restrictions. But there may be exceptions, sometimes just for small sections, so always carefully check your state game regulations.

In Montana alot of federal and state owned lands are designated as winter game ranges. Mainly to keep elk from being harassed. Were off limits to human access from the end of the general hunting season until various dates in May and June. Many have good whitetail numbers, year round. So no post/spring scouting or spring bear hunting. Some bears got old and big in them. Because they're harder to find in the fall and less hunters are looking specifically for a bear then also.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 am

stash59 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:

Don't confuse people! This doesn't apply to all federal lands. What your pointing out is federal wildlife refuge land. I also believe it can sometimes vary by refuge, but many times by state.

National Forest, BLM and some other federal agency lands usually have no time restrictions. But there may be exceptions, sometimes just for small sections, so always carefully check your state game regulations.

In Montana alot of federal and state owned lands are designated as winter game ranges. Mainly to keep elk from being harassed. Were off limits to human access from the end of the general hunting season until various dates in May and June. Many have good whitetail numbers, year round. So no post/spring scouting or spring bear hunting. Some bears got old and big in them. Because they're harder to find in the fall and less hunters are looking specifically for a bear then also.

Not trying to confuse anyone. Heck I'm confused enough on my own! :lol:

I was asking the question and providing an example, so thanks for the clarification my good man! I've never hunted on those lands before so I appreciate any info.
----------
Carl Tuesday
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Carl Tuesday » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Archivist13 wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:If it’s legal pack them out. It’s the only option. I won’t drag one a hundred yards.

I really need to find out if it is legal to pack out in Maryland. Some of the spots I hunt I honestly can't imagine even using a cart or sled. Some deep ravines and back corners 2 miles from the parking.

As far as I know, yes, in general. However some of the public stuff makes you go to a check station and want the deer whole.

I have all the stuff for quartering and packing from Alaska, but on my gun season lottery hunt (opening day) last year I forgot to bring it. Ah well, I'll figure it out later I thought. Hunted the furthest back corner of the park, down a big hill to a creek bed...2.1 miles of improvised dragging later, including climbing that awful hill, and I was "less than pleased" with that mistake. Also the doe was now bald on one side.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 am

Carl Tuesday wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:

As far as I know, yes, in general. However some of the public stuff makes you go to a check station and want the deer whole.

I have all the stuff for quartering and packing from Alaska, but on my gun season lottery hunt (opening day) last year I forgot to bring it. Ah well, I'll figure it out later I thought. Hunted the furthest back corner of the park, down a big hill to a creek bed...2.1 miles of improvised dragging later, including climbing that awful hill, and I was "less than pleased" with that mistake. Also the doe was now bald on one side.

I have scraped a doe bare as well. Lol
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:54 pm

My longest drag by myself was about .75 mile, not bad compared to others. I always bring my gear out to the car then go back with the sled. Now that I'm 50 and hunting by myself I find myself worrying "how would I get a big buck out of here?" That bit of doubt creeps into my mind and I find myself avoiding those deep gnarly, thick spots especially for my afternoon sits. That being said, I've decided to control what I can so I'm going to invest in a deer cart and I've already been hitting the treadmill/elliptical, put the resistance up high and bang it out for an hour straight. I know if worst came to worst I can round up some help, so I just have to get past that doubt. If I do get one late in the nasty, I have the gear I need with me to get out and get help. I guess it's one of those things that you just have to do once to get the confidence that you can get it done. From the sound of it though it's sounds like packing out is the way to go, so I'll have to contact the game warden and get the regs. on that.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've had a couple of long solo drags in the marsh, with none of it able to use a cart. Bone and pack out is the way to go in difficult terrain, especially if you are solo. During deer season I keep a cart, sled and frame pack in my truck.

Exactly what JM said.

As far as restricted hours and such, there are some places like that here in Central WI and it’s “one hour after sunset”. Buddy’s dad shot a doe in an area like this a few years ago, we got back to the truck about an hour and a half after sunset. Us pall bearers got warnings, my buddy’s dad got a ticket! We argued the fact that it was a warm early season and also the fact of coyotes, but that didn’t mean anything to the C.O. and rules are rules.

Now if we’re in a spot like that we’ll drag as far as we can and then cover the deer with a shirt and hat to get human scent on it to deter critters and come back later.
How bad do you want it?
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 am

I just shoot small bucks, then I pick them up on my shoulders and run out of the woods before any of the other hunters get a chance to heckle me about my ground shrinkage!
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I've had a couple of long solo drags in the marsh, with none of it able to use a cart. Bone and pack out is the way to go in difficult terrain, especially if you are solo. During deer season I keep a cart, sled and frame pack in my truck.

Exactly what JM said.

As far as restricted hours and such, there are some places like that here in Central WI and it’s “one hour after sunset”. Buddy’s dad shot a doe in an area like this a few years ago, we got back to the truck about an hour and a half after sunset. Us pall bearers got warnings, my buddy’s dad got a ticket! We argued the fact that it was a warm early season and also the fact of coyotes, but that didn’t mean anything to the C.O. and rules are rules.

Now if we’re in a spot like that we’ll drag as far as we can and then cover the deer with a shirt and hat to get human scent on it to deter critters and come back later.

I’d take my ticket and then tell the CO what I thought of him. They should never punish people for doing the right thing. That’s just chicken chit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”