Ranch Ferry.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Ranch Ferry.

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:31 am

Ha Haaaaaa. Love it. I really enjoy his YouTube channel. Thinking about changing my arrow set up now. Any of you guys watch his channel?

Manitoba derek

Re: Ranch Ferry.

Unread postby Manitoba derek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 am

I am building some adult arrows for spring bear in a few months. Can’t wait to see how they hammer. :twisted:
“Keep fit and have fun!”
Hal Johnson & Joanne Mcleod
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 am

Love that guy.
I always had a heavier arrow more of a teenager :lol:
Looking forward to an adult build 8-)
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 am

I think he might be on Meth :lol: but I love his content. Except for when I start looking at the prices of some of these broadheads :shock:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 am

I've watched quite a few of his videos...some of it makes a guy think. After my indoor league is done I'm going to play around with arrow weights and FOC....looking forward to it, should be fun.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 am

Oh and the big arrow/components companies should love that guy...everybody tweaking their setups spend a few bucks :lol:
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am

I thought I had arrows on the heavy side, now I realize I'm justbsgooting quail loads :lol: I think he makes what can be a nerdy topic kind of fun to watch videos on. He has me thinking pretty seriously about going back to cut on contact heads from fixed four bladers and adding another 125 grains to my arrows.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am

I'm not going to invest in new arrows as mine are fine. I'm going to push the limit on point weight though. I have .340 shafts and am going to switch out my hundred grain heads to 125's and maybe screw in some insert weights. See how far I can push that noodle skeet load shaft. Lol.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I'm not going to invest in new arrows as mine are fine. I'm going to push the limit on point weight though. I have .340 shafts and am going to switch out my hundred grain heads to 125's and maybe screw in some insert weights. See how far I can push that noodle skeet load shaft. Lol.

Yeah I bought some 50 and 100 grain brass inserts that I can screw on extra weight to play around with.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:46 am

Although its pretty dry if anyone is serious about upping their arrows they should check out the Ashby reports. It's where ranch fairy bases all his lunacy.

https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/ashby-reports

Really good stuff in there
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:I'm not going to invest in new arrows as mine are fine. I'm going to push the limit on point weight though. I have .340 shafts and am going to switch out my hundred grain heads to 125's and maybe screw in some insert weights. See how far I can push that noodle skeet load shaft. Lol.

Yeah I bought some 50 and 100 grain brass inserts that I can screw on extra weight to play around with.

I shoot gold tip so I can use their FACT system screw in weights. I had them for years so I just had the factory aluminum inserts installed, so I think I'm stuck with them.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:01 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

I shoot gold tip so I can use their FACT system screw in weights. I had them for years so I just had the factory aluminum inserts installed, so I think I'm stuck with them.

Those are the inserts and additional weights I bought too...along with the wrench thing
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Somebody should tell him to not drink the bong water. Heavy arrows are definitely ideal as long as you know the yardage. That way your "rainbows" fall into the kill zone. Aside from my sarcasm, everybody takes things to the extreme. I've found for whitetails a decently flat shooting bow with arrows around 400 grain is always better than a slow bow shooting arching logs. But if your good at judging yardage then heavy arrows are for you.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:33 pm

bowkill00 wrote:Somebody should tell him to not drink the bong water. Heavy arrows are definitely ideal as long as you know the yardage. That way your "rainbows" fall into the kill zone. Aside from my sarcasm, everybody takes things to the extreme. I've found for whitetails a decently flat shooting bow with arrows around 400 grain is always better than a slow bow shooting arching logs. But if your good at judging yardage then heavy arrows are for you.

It's not just heavy arrows. It's FOC being a key factor. I don't disagree with you though. Most my arrows have been about 400 grains and I never really had an issue. I'm adding weight to raise my FOC. I bet my arrows won't be over 450 when done. Plenty fast and flat shooting. You have to remember, Ranch Ferry does a lot of pig hunting. A lot tough animal than a whitetail.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:33 pm

bowkill00 wrote:Somebody should tell him to not drink the bong water. Heavy arrows are definitely ideal as long as you know the yardage. That way your "rainbows" fall into the kill zone. Aside from my sarcasm, everybody takes things to the extreme. I've found for whitetails a decently flat shooting bow with arrows around 400 grain is always better than a slow bow shooting arching logs. But if your good at judging yardage then heavy arrows are for you.

Yeah there are a lot of setups that will effectively kill whitetails at normal hunting distances. A guy should use what gives them confidence...topics like these can start flame wars and we don't want that. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”