Winter Scouting - Public Land - NOW

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Re: Winter Scouting - Public Land - NOW

Unread postby cspot » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:48 am

Our season just finished up. I haven't done much but I did scout one place on Saturday with the family. Hoping to do more in the coming weeks.

may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Been scouting pretty heavily. I have had great success so far and have found and learned alot. I even found a party balloon string and a massive buck bed that is a potential target for next season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:57 pm

Dewey wrote:Absolute best time of the year to find primary beds. It never gets any easier than now with snow on the ground. My best beds were found while winter scouting in snow.

When it comes to finding beds in the snow, how do you determine whether they are primary beds, or just beds that the deer are using for the winter?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Hookslinger wrote:
Dewey wrote:Absolute best time of the year to find primary beds. It never gets any easier than now with snow on the ground. My best beds were found while winter scouting in snow.

When it comes to finding beds in the snow, how do you determine whether they are primary beds, or just beds that the deer are using for the winter?

They are in the most secure location possible. When you find them you will know. It’s almost impossible to approach them without being detected and more often than not they have an almost perfect escape route to flee danger.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

They are in the most secure location possible. When you find them you will know. It’s almost impossible to approach them without being detected and more often than not they have an almost perfect escape route to flee danger.

Okay, I was asking because last scouting trip I found LOTS of beds up on a brushy hill in the hardwoods on the back corner of this chunk of public. This hill had real thick brushy cover, and there were beds all over different corners of this hill. I knew that meant they were wind based. They would shift to different points of the hill depending on the wind. It looked like they would have the wind to their back and be able to look out a long distance into the hardwoods ahead of them, and have the thermal rise helping them out as well.

I jumped deer out of the bedding area as I approached. After scouting the whole hill top, there were probably 40 ish beds all over, all currently or recently used (easy to to tell in the snow). Most of them were obvious doe beds. Some of the beds were very large though. And the area was just littered with rubs, and some of them very good sized.

So I'm thinking, is this a primary bedding area? Is this just a doe bedding area that gets buck traffic during the rut? The groups and positioning of the beds showed me they were obviously does, but would bucks use the bedding area as primary also or not?

The big thing that makes me confused on how/when/why is the fact that this spot is pretty easily accessed by foot through the woods (dry ground). Other than the fact that its a little bit of a walk, 3/4 of a mile maybe, there are no difficult obstacles or anything to deter hunters from getting there. So why are there a crap ton of beds and buck sign there. I found an arrow in the bedding area, and saw one tree stand on the north side about 100 yards away from the beds, so I wouldn't say its overlooked either.

I'm just surprised I found this kind of sign on dry ground on a hill in the woods. Its a first for me so far scouting on public; the only other beds I've found so far have been in marsh. The deer obviously have the advantage of sight/wind/thermals here, but it just seems like they would be getting pestered too much there for it to be a good bedding area, yet the beds and sign are there. Got any thoughts?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Hookslinger wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

Okay, I was asking because last scouting trip I found LOTS of beds up on a brushy hill in the hardwoods on the back corner of this chunk of public. This hill had real thick brushy cover, and there were beds all over different corners of this hill. I knew that meant they were wind based. They would shift to different points of the hill depending on the wind. It looked like they would have the wind to their back and be able to look out a long distance into the hardwoods ahead of them, and have the thermal rise helping them out as well.

I jumped deer out of the bedding area as I approached. After scouting the whole hill top, there were probably 40 ish beds all over, all currently or recently used (easy to to tell in the snow). Most of them were obvious doe beds. Some of the beds were very large though. And the area was just littered with rubs, and some of them very good sized.

So I'm thinking, is this a primary bedding area? Is this just a doe bedding area that gets buck traffic during the rut? The groups and positioning of the beds showed me they were obviously does, but would bucks use the bedding area as primary also or not?

The big thing that makes me confused on how/when/why is the fact that this spot is pretty easily accessed by foot through the woods (dry ground). Other than the fact that its a little bit of a walk, 3/4 of a mile maybe, there are no difficult obstacles or anything to deter hunters from getting there. So why are there a crap ton of beds and buck sign there. I found an arrow in the bedding area, and saw one tree stand on the north side about 100 yards away from the beds, so I wouldn't say its overlooked either.

I'm just surprised I found this kind of sign on dry ground on a hill in the woods. Its a first for me so far scouting on public; the only other beds I've found so far have been in marsh. The deer obviously have the advantage of sight/wind/thermals here, but it just seems like they would be getting pestered too much there for it to be a good bedding area, yet the beds and sign are there. Got any thoughts?

The absolute best primary beds rarely see any human intrusion. Obviously not all properties can provide this. What I find mostly in marsh or swamp habitat that I hunt is outside of winter ice these places are pretty much inaccessible. In hill country primary beds are not nearly as common since most places are easy enough to access year round. I don’t have a ton of experience in hills but have noticed the absolute best beds I found had a commanding view of everything and allowed maximum use of thermals. Those primary beds are much harder to find than beds in marshes and swamps and are not nearly as obvious unless you really know what your looking for.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

The absolute best primary beds rarely see any human intrusion. Obviously not all properties can provide this. What I find mostly in marsh or swamp habitat that I hunt is outside of winter ice these places are pretty much inaccessible. In hill country primary beds are not nearly as common since most places are easy enough to access year round. I don’t have a ton of experience in hills but have noticed the absolute best beds I found had a commanding view of everything and allowed maximum use of thermals. Those primary beds are much harder to find than beds in marshes and swamps and are not nearly as obvious unless you really know what your looking for.

Thanks for the great input. Being a beginner, I figure I'll focus on the swamps and marsh. They will be easier for me to learn on, and I believe they will hold the better bucks around here anyway. BUT I might throw a sit or two at this hill spot just to see whats up. Thanks again, that info helps alot.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17 am

Just to add along with what the others have said. I primarily hunt hill country and outside of the rut and if your very lucky on the opener the very best beds will be in remote locations that see little human pressure or over looked locations. It will be very thick on their backside with a commanding view below. When you see this bed and stand or sit in it you will get the holy crap how do I hunt this feeling. This is a primary bed.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 am

I do a little this time of year but mostly close to the road stuff, 30+ inches of snow right now and I can't even get within 5 miles of most of my spots right now. Couple more months and I will be out on a regular basis.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:58 am

Hookslinger wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

Thanks for the great input. Being a beginner, I figure I'll focus on the swamps and marsh. They will be easier for me to learn on, and I believe they will hold the better bucks around here anyway. BUT I might throw a sit or two at this hill spot just to see whats up. Thanks again, that info helps alot.

This article from Dr. Ken Nordberg may help. In the north mature buck's beds are about 50"-56" long.

http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/hypertext/Articles/Basics_Whitetail_Bedding_Areas.html
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:36 am

Good article Stash. I always like to post that one. Great information. 8-)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 am

Agreed. Cool insights.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Is it possible to find a primary buck bed (used most of the year) in the middle of winter that measures well over 50” even if I have to bust through a lot of snow for a long distance to find it... when everyone says the deer are yarded up and bedding right now is irrelevant??

Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Is it possible to find a primary buck bed (used most of the year) in the middle of winter that measures well over 50” even if I have to bust through a lot of snow for a long distance to find it... when everyone says the deer are yarded up and bedding right now is irrelevant??

Nope, not possible. :snooty:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 pm

So there's 50 inches of snow?

Then that must be a lightly used bed.

:lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”