This is the hardest time if the year for me...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

This is the hardest time if the year for me...

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:05 am

This is the hardest time if the year for me. I'm not sure when to start scouting? Not sure if the sign I see is winter sign? I struggle to get out and about! My questions are, when do you start looking for sign that you can use to hunt next year? How can you tell what's winter VS fall? I know the snow helps a lot as far as paths and tracks. How often do you walk an area? Once, twice, 5 times? Any tips would help immensely! I need to connect on a good buck this year!

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: This is the hardest time if the year for me...

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 am

Best areas to began scouting is transition lines near points if your in hill country. And transitions in any terrain.

Best time to find sign is now till green up.
Scrapes will still be visible good to mark them 90 percent of them next year will be the same locations.Primary scrapes will always be in the same spot for many years usually have licking branch and are near buck bedding.

Bedding can be hard to tell seasonal or primary surroundings like oaks can help. Even the best beast it can take awhile to figure out. Cameras do help.

Water you will want to mark during the summer alot of small pools dry up. Big water holes are good to mark this time of year.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:51 am

IMHO if your new at this or struggling after a few years of attempting Beast style. You can't spend too much time putting boots on the ground. Yeah you may booger a few spots up. But the more time you spend. The higher the odds you'll start finding what you need. And understanding how the bucks use the terrain in your areas.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 am

Snow makes even the worst bed scouters like me look good. Deer dont winter here though. Just understand what wind they are bedded there. I love seeing the ones you bump out a their beds .
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:17 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Best areas to began scouting is transition lines near points if your in hill country. And transitions in any terrain.

Best time to find sign is now till green up.
Scrapes will still be visible good to mark them 90 percent of them next year will be the same locations.Primary scrapes will always be in the same spot for many years usually have licking branch and are near buck bedding.

Bedding can be hard to tell seasonal or primary surroundings like oaks can help. Even the best beast it can take awhile to figure out. Cameras do help.

Water you will want to mark during the summer alot of small pools dry up. Big water holes are good to mark this time of year.

Every bit of this.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”