More Michigan CWD Insanity

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

More Michigan CWD Insanity

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:26 am

Michigan now allowing land owners in specific unites to kill deer year around. They have to apply for the tags and they have to submit the head for research. These pictures are a screen shot from an email that my dad received.

At some point the outdoorsmen in Michigan are going to have to band together and get the DNR to actually listen to the hunters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: More Michigan CWD Insanity

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:33 am

Crazy all year hunting. Good thing it’s private land only
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 am

Year round. Yikes! Seems a bit much to me... I did get kind of excited about a the possibility of velvet hunt before I saw it was private land only. I’d wish they’d make it a statewide September bow opener. Or at least a. September bow opener instead of extending the season into January for the cwd counties.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am

So the only solution is complete extermination?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:42 am

greenhorndave wrote:So the only solution is complete extermination?

Not a solution. More like a band aid on a mortal wound.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am

PK_ wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:So the only solution is complete extermination?

Not a solution. More like a band aid on a mortal wound.

Not to mention the prion will already be in the soil and when new deer move back in the area they will likely contract it as well. Extermination does absolutely nothing except remove deer from the landscape and anger hunters and other people who like to watch deer. WI has been there done that with no positive results.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 am

Looks like an easy way for politicians to slowly eradicate the deer population and try to dismantle future hunters from ever going...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am

Please post the link to this. Nothing up on the states web site or Google?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am

Twenty Up wrote:Looks like an easy way for politicians to slowly eradicate the deer population and try to dismantle future hunters from ever going...

WI had a large drop in license sales after CWD was discovered. The slaughters that ensued after that alienated a lot of hunters and license sales have been on a slide ever since.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 am

It's really ridiculous. Some deer get it, some don't. I don't think 100% of the deer in an areas with CWD get it, do they? Is it a problem? Sure. Has it ravaged the herds and completely wiped them out on its own? No. But that's what the hysteria seemed to indicate (or designed) as to what would happen.

Nobody wants CWD around but I don't think it's like the black plague or something.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34 am

tundra@1 wrote:Please post the link to this. Nothing up on the states web site or Google?

Sorry don’t have a link, my dad just forwarded me the email, I will see what I can find.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:39 am

Dewey wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Looks like an easy way for politicians to slowly eradicate the deer population and try to dismantle future hunters from ever going...

WI had a large drop in license sales after CWD was discovered. The slaughters that ensued after that alienated a lot of hunters and license sales have been on a slide ever since.

Probably my biggest frustration with this whole thing is Michigan has learned nothing from Wisconsin. Also they knew exactly what happened in Wisconsin and Illinois. A couple years back my brother was a DNR officer in Michigan, and he showed me an internal MI DNR report all about cwd in Wisconsin and Illinois that stated it was impossible to stop and all the efforts did nothing to stope the spread. Yet Michigan is going down the same path.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:46 am

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:25 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Probably my biggest frustration with this whole thing is Michigan has learned nothing from Wisconsin. Also they knew exactly what happened in Wisconsin and Illinois. A couple years back my brother was a DNR officer in Michigan, and he showed me an internal MI DNR report all about cwd in Wisconsin and Illinois that stated it was impossible to stop and all the efforts did nothing to stope the spread. Yet Michigan is going down the same path.

Forgive my ignorance, but does CWD actually KILL deer?

I’ve heard a lot of hunters stating that they shot a CWD positive deer that appeared “normal” or healthy. I know EHD infected deer look sickly and die relatively quickly.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

CWD is a pretty controversial subject these days, a close second to sunday hunting here in PA. I know a lot of guys don't buy into the whole cwd management theories but I have to ask a few questions:
You shoot a deer, it tests positive for cwd. Would you have any issue with your wife or kids consuming the meat? I know that in good conscience, I could not feed my family meat from a positive tested deer.
If your not happy with the current management plans, what would have the DNR's do? I know that I know nothing about cwd. Therefore, I have to leave the what to do about it, figure out the next steps. For someone to legitimately suggest that a DNR is purposely attempt to totally eradicate deer, their largest draw for license purchases.
If the DNR did absolutely nothing about it, there would be a whole new crowd up blaming them for inaction. Its easy for us to sit on this side of the problem to cry conspiracies or wrong doing, they are just trying to do a job.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”