Fresh roadkill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BAS4109

Re: Fresh roadkill

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:22 am

I pick up roadkill when it’s convenient and in good shape of course.

I picked up a fat button buck last fall 1 mile from my house. Not a mark on it. It must have run into the side of the person’s vehicle.

I don’t pick them up in middle of winter anymore though. I picked up a doe several years ago that had been feeding mostly on hemlock. The deer smelled like a hemlock tree and the meat had a hemlock flavor.

SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:46 am

Funny story about this very thing......

A few years back, just 1 mile shy of work someone hit a deer and I came upon the scene on my way to work about the same time the cops did. I wanted the deer so they were glad to let me have it. Wrote me a salvage tag and I threw it in the back of the truck and went on into work. Told everyone at work I had a fresh kill and we all decided to butcher it and eat it right then. My boss was against the idea as he didn’t like deer meat and said we’d catch some kind of infection from it. Anyways we ate everything we could salvage and it was delicious. My boss griping and complaining the whole time. Then I came up with a plan. My boss was always a “come in and hour early” kinda guy so I told everyone to call in sick about 7:05am the next morn. His exact words when everyone called in was “I told you &$#%/$& not to eat that $&)%#€$ deer but you just had too”. We all met outside of work and walked in together. It was absolutely hilarious, had to be there to appreciate it.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 pm

SplitG2 wrote:Funny story about this very thing......

A few years back, just 1 mile shy of work someone hit a deer and I came upon the scene on my way to work about the same time the cops did. I wanted the deer so they were glad to let me have it. Wrote me a salvage tag and I threw it in the back of the truck and went on into work. Told everyone at work I had a fresh kill and we all decided to butcher it and eat it right then. My boss was against the idea as he didn’t like deer meat and said we’d catch some kind of infection from it. Anyways we ate everything we could salvage and it was delicious. My boss griping and complaining the whole time. Then I came up with a plan. My boss was always a “come in and hour early” kinda guy so I told everyone to call in sick about 7:05am the next morn. His exact words when everyone called in was “I told you &$#%/$& not to eat that $&)%#€$ deer but you just had too”. We all met outside of work and walked in together. It was absolutely hilarious, had to be there to appreciate it.

That's pretty funny! Did the boss laugh?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 am

may21581 wrote:That's pretty funny! Did the boss laugh?

He had several choice words for us but he came around pretty quick. He was a pretty cool boss overall
Hunt Hard or Go Home
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:53 pm

Picked up a big buck this year. Called in and got the salvage tag then took the deer to where I stay. I gave all the meat to the owner of motel I stay at cause he doesn’t hunt anymore. I have a nice big spare cape now.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:24 pm

tim wrote:Picked up a big buck this year. Called in and got the salvage tag then took the deer to where I stay. I gave all the meat to the owner of motel I stay at cause he doesn’t hunt anymore. I have a nice big spare cape now.

That was very generous of you to give the meat to the hotel owner where you stay. I see nothing but good out of that. The owner got to eat and feed his family, the deer did not go to waste and had a purpose in the end, and you got a nice Cape and possibly a cool rack. Awesome
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 am

I picked up a doe last year that was still warm and it was 10 below outside. I made the mistake of telling my coworker about this and he and wife now think I am disgusting. Then my coworker proceeded to tell me about how he gets really good deals on chicken at Sams Club because Sams will cut the breasts out the rotisserie chickens that don't sell from the day before and sell 4 breasts for $3.99. He is also a die hard liberal so we don't see eye to eye on much, ha!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 am

I'll pick them up if I have time, I know they are fresh and they appear to be in good shape. I'm on the northern outskirts of Chicagoland, you'd figure here it wouldn't be much of a thing, but they honestly don't last long in my parts, someone grabs them. Dragged a giant buck off the road into the woods two years ago on the way to a meeting, was going to grab it on the way back, hour and a half later someone else had taken it.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm

may21581 wrote:
tim wrote:Picked up a big buck this year. Called in and got the salvage tag then took the deer to where I stay. I gave all the meat to the owner of motel I stay at cause he doesn’t hunt anymore. I have a nice big spare cape now.

That was very generous of you to give the meat to the hotel owner where you stay. I see nothing but good out of that. The owner got to eat and feed his family, the deer did not go to waste and had a purpose in the end, and you got a nice Cape and possibly a cool rack. Awesome

Yeah he’s had heart problems so he can’t get out anymore.... yeah a pretty nice rack was an added bonus as well . He was stunned when I gave him the entire Deer. I hung it up in his garage and skinned it out for him. I still don’t know how I got that big thing in the trunk of my car by myself. I wrestled with it for a half hour in the pouring rain , I was a bloody mess lol
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm

I saw what looked to be a pretty nice buck laying on the east side of Highway 12 about two miles South of Sauk City the other day, but didn't get a chance to stop that day.
I stopped on the way home today just out of curiousity about how big he actually was, but somebody had sawed the antlers off.
Big-bodied deer but had a smallish head and short muzzle.

Closer to home I came upon another one killed since I passed by early this morning, but it was stiff already and seemed to be a bit busted up so I didn't call it in for a tag.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:24 am

I was driving home and saw a nice buck with antlers laying off the side of the interstate. It wasn’t there the day before so I made a loop and pulled off the interstate and put my truck between the deer and most of the traffic.

The thing already stunk, and most of the damage looked like it was legs, but I’m certain the guts were busted because of how bad it smelled. I wasn’t going to be able to salvage any of the meat but the rack was a small thick 8 point so I grabbed my knife and saw and took the head. After reading some of these threads it’s probably very common to pick up road kill deer if they aren’t mangled too badly.

I think the city sends trucks to pick them up because that buck and the other 3 other roadkill deer in the area that had been sitting for a week were all gone at the same time.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:58 am

I'll pick one up every chance I get. Picked up two bucks this fall. Wi has made it very easy to get a roadkill tag. Call it in or you can do it all online. No more waiting for the sheriff to show up
Colddriver

Unread postby Colddriver » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:07 pm

My county in illinois you can get put on a list and they will call you to come pick up. They also issue a tag.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Yes, especially if I know how fresh it is.

Ditto, I'm not proud, but I AM FAT
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:08 pm

I was asked more than once if I grabbed the one I hit a couple weeks ago in Southern MI on I-69. Hitting them on the interstate, in a little snow with greasy roads and in the dark is a no for me. Not going to risk my life when people are sliding all over the place, its dark, and snowing.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”