Define an accomplished hunter...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Define an accomplished hunter...

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 am

Accomplishment can also be very dependent on goals and opportunities. I tend to only worry about my own accomplishments in the context of what I think I am capable of based on the time and effort I'm able to dedicate. Most years that's a full freezer and a buck or two I'd be happy with when it comes to hunting.

For me branching out to other hunters and how I view them has more to do with what I think I can learn from them. There are plenty of guys who knock down multiple giants a year based mostly on access and money. A few of those guys can teach you some stuff (Drurys, Winke...). There are many more folks on places like this, or the Hunting Public, etc. that can teach a lot more. Accomplishment is a gut check at that point. I feel like I've developed my own experience and knowledge enough to have a good BS sniffer. Who to move on from and who to pay attention too. Beyond that I could care less what their wall looks like or how traditionally "accomplished" they are.

Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:49 am

stash59 wrote:If I accomplish what I want while hunting. I'm accomplished. Same goes for others.

As far as folks I look up to. Those I seek to learn from. They need a passion that borders on fanatasism. This passion is what made them seek out all of the knowledge they could about their quarry. And have many seasons of experience under their belt to back up what they are saying. And quite a few kills along the way.

Agreed. To me an "accomplished hunter" is someone who simply sets goals and meets them on a fairly consistent basis.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Racks&Beards wrote:
stash59 wrote:If I accomplish what I want while hunting. I'm accomplished. Same goes for others.

As far as folks I look up to. Those I seek to learn from. They need a passion that borders on fanatasism. This passion is what made them seek out all of the knowledge they could about their quarry. And have many seasons of experience under their belt to back up what they are saying. And quite a few kills along the way.

Agreed. To me an "accomplished hunter" is someone who simply sets goals and meets them on a fairly consistent basis.

I can't argue with that... I completely agree.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 am

"Other people's opinion of me is none of my business" a quote I heard years ago and put to heart. It flies contrary of today's social media addicts that seek likes to validate their self or their content.

The happiest hunters I know are the guys/gals that measure success against their own goals and ambitions, and do so with realistic expectations. IMO/E the most freeing day in most people's life journey is when they fully grasp that a successful life is NOT tied to other peoples opinions or expectations..... unless we allow it to be.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:"Other people's opinion of me is none of my business" a quote I heard years ago and put to heart. It flies contrary of today's social media addicts that seek likes to validate their self or their content.

The happiest hunters I know are the guys/gals that measure success against their own goals and ambitions, and do so with realistic expectations. IMO/E the most freeing day in most people's life journey is when they fully grasp that a successful life is NOT tied to other peoples opinions or expectations..... unless we allow it to be.

Totally Agree Dave! The only accomplishment I strive for while hunting is, to enjoy every minute 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”